Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gunsmith recommendation for S&W K-frame rebarrel?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Backfire, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

I've ordered a Douglas 6-inch heavy barrel from Brownell's for my S&W Model 10HB and I'm seeking an experienced 'smith to switch barrels. I live in Tualatin, OR, and I'm willing to drive . Any suggestions? S&W M10HB-1.JPG

2. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Try "Shooters Service Center". He's up in St. Johns. Purportedly a S&W pro. I know he's honest as he turned down a job for me saying it was better done by Smith & Wesson themselves. Has some weird hours at times.

http://shooterservicecenter.com/

JRuby likes this.
  3. Backfire

Thank you for the recommendation. I did follow up, and the task was declined at this time.

4. dmjjj

dmjjj Sherwood Member

5. BWH

BWH Tualatin, Oregon Active Member

My first stop would be Rich's in Donald.
    Lee learned well from his father, whom was a superb S&W wheel gun smith.

6. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd be curious to know what he told you. I went to him on the advice from others. He turned down my work on a S&W 629 which was, as I know NOW, really not that difficult. Seems to me a barrel replacement on a S&W revolver would be gravy if he was a S&W guy?

Mike

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

8. Backfire

I agree with you, and have had this job done on K-frames and N-frames in the past. There is a fixture for these frames so the frame can be supported while the barrel is unscrewed (not an easy task). Without that fixture, the frame can be twisted out of alignment. Rich's does not have that fixture which, I believe, is about $150 and, apparently, neither does the Shooters Service Center. Revolvers used to be bread & Butter and Smith & Wesson was in the forefront of that, much as Mauser actions used to be staples for rifles, but times seem to have changed.

9. taroman

taroman Willamette Valley Active Member

Todd Koonce in Salem has rebarreled 2 S&W revolvers for me. One of these was somewhat complicated,.
    Both jobs were done perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  10. Backfire

taroman, Mr. Koonce's name has come up favorably in conversation in the past, and I will call to see if he's accepting new work.

11. taroman

taroman Willamette Valley Active Member

He's a one man shop, so he reserves Tuesday and Thursday afternoons for customer calls and visits.

12. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some pic's when your project is done.

13. Backfire

Mr. Taylor, here's a "Before" photo. I look forward to the "After" photo. The Clark bull barrel barrel was obtained from Brownell's. The grips are a carry-over from a K-38, and I normally have a Hogue grip on this Model 10HB, but it's temporarily on another revolver. S&W M10HB-3.JPG