JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The gunsmith forum seems to not get much traffic so I'll ask here. .17 MKII, Ruger action, VQ bolt and barrel. Can this be converted to HMR by simply reaming the barrel or are the bolts different?

Presuming that you are talking about basically a 17 on the 10/22 action, then reaming the chamber and installing the proper spring should take care of it.

Additionally the action on the 10/22 magnum is longer to accommodate the longer cartridge as well.

Don't think converting a regular 10/22 is gonna work for ya.:(

Not a gunsmith, but I think the bolt is going to need to be heavier and the recoil spring too on the HMR cartridge.[/QUOT
Seems like I remember now about folks adding a heavy charging handle when converting from .22. IIRC it was problematic?

I personally would Not purchase a rifle that would require a change of caliber before it was going to make me happy. Buy right gun in the right caliber and leave that one to someone who wants that caliber. Caliber changes can be a can of worms.

I had a 10/22 magnum. Back when they made them.
It used a Tungsten slide for extra weight. And if I remember right a steel receiver.[Yes Longer]

Now that gun could be a candidate for conversion to 17 HMR, if it wasn't already made that way?
But I would just slap on a new barrel. Wouldn't want to take away from the resale when two screws are all that's in the way of the swap.

No a regular 10 22 action wont work to build a 17 HMR.

And I would be very wary of a converted 1022 to 17Mach2.
There was a time when the conversions were a hot item, But after so many blew up.... Manufactures quit making them, Companies quit making the conversions, And there were even a few buybacks!

The new successful 17 semi autos all have some kind of delayed bolt to fix the timing issues.
Heres one I'm looking at now. My son really wants a semi auto in 17HMR. And this would be CA legal.

GFD AR17HMR Upper

Only conversions I know..

10/22 in 22LR will accommodate .17HM2. This conversion required only a barrel change and weight to action.

As far as changing a MKII action (bolt) barrel, best of luck. Not many smiths will change a Ruger barrel. Apparently it's due to possibly breaking the action upon barrel removal. Need a jig to hold the action in place. I requested once to see about a different barrel for an MKII and that was the answer I received.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top