JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought an AR15 lower/upper receiver set from CMTTAC and had it shipped to a local Oregon gun dealer that charges $20 per transfer. I went to pick it up and he said he can't transfer it to me because I'm a WA resident. He can sell it to my wife though who is an OR resident.

I recently bought a rifle from an Oregon dealer and one from an Oregon Bimart with no issues. Did the laws change? Is the dealer wrong?

A receiver is not a rifle or a pistol. In state purchase only and 21 years of age. Been this way for years now. Rifles accross the river are ok...

Last Edited:
A bare AR15 receiver is considered as "receiver only" (maybe that is the incorrect term according to BATF but, stick with me) because it still hasn't been built into either a: long gun or handgun.

So, since it could potentially become a handgun. The "handgun laws" must be followed.

If it were already built as a rifle. Then, the laws for "long guns" would apply.

Aloha, Mark

........So, since it could potentially become a handgun. The "handgun laws" must be followed......Aloha, Mark

In regards to state lines and and age to buy, yes. Although, you do "not" fill out handgun related paperwork for a stripped lower receiver in WA state.

Can one of you ffl guys send me a link to show my dealer? This guy is kind of a friend/aquantance so I can't press the issue to far.

One dealer that's been is business for over 40 years agrees that this guy is dead wrong.

A feller may not agree with this ruling, but the FFL is required to abide by this.

1) An FFL may not sell a frame or receiver to anyone under 21 years of age [Title 18, U.S.C., section 922 (b)(1)]. Comment: This is because the receiver could, potentially, be made into a pistol.

2) An FFL may not transfer a frame or receiver to an unlicensed person from another State. [Title 18, U.S.C. section 922(b)(3)]. Comment: Again, this tracks the rules regarding transfers of pistols, because some frames/receivers can be built into pistols.

ATF Letter Clarifies Rules on Firearm Receiver Transfers
atflogox200.png
With the current high demand for AR15-style rifles, the sales of both bare (stripped) and semi-assembled lower AR receivers has increased dramatically. This has led to questions, from both buyers and Federal Firearms License holders, as to how these lower receivers should be handled during sales. The ATF has issued a letter which deals with these issues. Important points to note are:

1) An FFL may not sell a frame or receiver to anyone under 21 years of age [Title 18, U.S.C., section 922 (b)(1)]. Comment: This is because the receiver could, potentially, be made into a pistol.

2) An FFL may not transfer a frame or receiver to an unlicensed person from another State. [Title 18, U.S.C. section 922(b)(3)]. Comment: Again, this tracks the rules regarding transfers of pistols, because some frames/receivers can be built into pistols.

3) Multiple handgun sales forms (ATF forms 3320.4) are NOT required for sales of multiple frames or receivers of any firearm, as they are not pistols or revolvers. Comment: This may seem inconsistent with points 1 and 2 above, but this follows from the provisions of CFT 478.11 which states that bare frames or receivers are not handguns until so assembled.

Further information on these points is contained in the July 7, 2009 letter from the ATF, which is linked below. All FFLs are encouraged to download this letter and read it carefully.

CLICK HERE for 7/9/2009 Letter from ATF Re Firearm Frames and Receivers

............One dealer that's been is business for over 40 years agrees that this guy is dead wrong.

Did he/she show you link to support their claims?? It surprises me that FFL's still miss major changes/clarifications to the laws they have to follow to operate as an FFL.

Looks like my wife will have to buy it with my money. Than we need to take it to another OR dealer to transfer it to my name. I'll have $40 of transfer fees into this when it's done.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top