JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Indeed. Some gun owners will still not buy anything Ruger after what Bill Ruger said publicly during the AWB.
As brilliant of a gun designer as he was and as a leader in the changing of production methods that Ruger pioneered, Bill's passing was actually a blessing to the company. I've grown up with Ruger firearms and believe many of them to be of the highest quality. You'll be hard pressed to find a more durable revolver than the GP and Redhawk/Super Red hawk series of guns, not to mention the original series of 22 autoloading pistols and the 77MKII rifles, the latter of which I am a HUGE fan of. (see avatar pic)

Thread drift aside, I was puzzled by the thread title and though it strange. However after reading the reasoning behind the title, I think it's brilliant. I would also add that if an officer wants to buy something we can't, it would have to be purchased thru the department he/she works for, not just based off of their word.
Don't take this as cop bashing. I agree we all should be treated equally. The Constitution and Bill of Rights don't state a difference. Why should any law state differently?

Don't take this as cop bashing. I agree we all should be treated equally. The Constitution and Bill of Rights don't state a difference. Why should any law state differently?
A good part of the reasoning behind the Second Amendment is that citizens should have what the government has when it comes to arms and reciprocally.

Bill Sr was never very pro 2A, he just kept it hidden. When he let the mask slip that one time he paid for it and had to really try to walk it back. The current Co only has his name now. Family was bought out and kicked to the curb. Its why they make and sell so much stuff now that Sr would never have sent to market for the general public.
Yeah Ruger is building AR-15's , Silencers etc. All kinds of stuff that make old Bill turn over in his grave. . Bill was the consummate Fudd and was only concerned with imports undercutting his garbage mini 14. I wouldn't buy one of his guns while Bill was alive but the Ruger of Bills days is NOT the Ruger of today.

I gladly support gun manufacturers, gun stores, and anything gun related that support everyone having equal access to the 2nd amendment.

I'm not the hugest fan of companies that have huge military and government contracts. They have shown throughout history to be the first companies that end sales to private citizens. I can easily see companies like Glock or Sig to do things like that of other older names like Colt. As soon as the government, the ones giving them a ton of money, state they don't want their citizens owning these products, I guarantee they will stop selling to citizens.

I'm also not the hugest fan of shops that don't carry > $300 guns. I hear the "we don't want to sell (insert choice word for cheap guns here) here!" I think that all should have access, even those with a measly $200 budgeted for their 2nd Amendment protected right to purchase a gun.

That's why I have high respect for inexpensive brands. They do more to protect the 2nd amendment than most bigger names in the industry.

I'm also truly happy that companies like Palmmetto State Armory exist in the USA. For every 1 Glock 19 sold I bet PSA sells 10 of their Daggers. They have a business plan that purely aligns with keeping the 2nd amendment well established in this country. I guarantee they will be there far longer than this country stays united.

Another example being Sccy pistols. I bet there are tons of them out there, they have a similar business model as PSA.

I gladly support gun manufacturers, gun stores, and anything gun related that support everyone having equal access to the 2nd amendment.

I'm not the hugest fan of companies that have huge military and government contracts. They have shown throughout history to be the first companies that end sales to private citizens. I can easily see companies like Glock or Sig to do things like that of other older names like Colt. As soon as the government, the ones giving them a ton of money, state they don't want their citizens owning these products, I guarantee they will stop selling to citizens.

I'm also not the hugest fan of shops that don't carry > $300 guns. I hear the "we don't want to sell (insert choice word for cheap guns here) here!" I think that all should have access, even those with a measly $200 budgeted for their 2nd Amendment protected right to purchase a gun.

That's why I have high respect for inexpensive brands. They do more to protect the 2nd amendment than most bigger names in the industry.

I'm also truly happy that companies like Palmmetto State Armory exist in the USA. For every 1 Glock 19 sold I bet PSA sells 10 of their Daggers. They have a business plan that purely aligns with keeping the 2nd amendment well established in this country. I guarantee they will be there far longer than this country stays united.

Another example being Sccy pistols. I bet there are tons of them out there, they have a similar business model as PSA.
Colt is just a company that has been plagued by mismanagement for decades. Every now and then you hear they are stopping civilian sales because they cant keep up with military contracts because they can't. Then everywhere you look theres Colt AR's for sale. They haven't made a pistol besides custom shop stuff that anyone wants to buy in decades. Its just a bad example of a gun company. Harvard business school how to fail at something you're good at example.Too early to tell how the CZ ownership will affect them. Glock never has done that sort of thing and SIG prioritizes their business towards whats selling instead of propping up failing guns. .

PSA, you can't get a dagger at their stores unless you order one to the store. Its weird. And I think their sales pale in comparison to Glocks who have a solid lock on the LEO market.

I dont know if it would be fair to compare Daggers to Glock sales, but I suspect a lot more people own Hi Points than admit it and Daggers come very close in price point. Id have no issues buying a Dagger myself.

I agree with Reno about making guns affordable to all. Its an important part of gun rights thats overlooked.

SIG prioritizes their business towards whats selling instead of propping up failing guns. .
SIG won't fix the slightest little issue - instead they just drop it instead of putting in the effort.

E.G.; the 14rd 227 mags - all they had to do was use a different spring. But instead of doing that, they just played switcheroo with the mags (some worked, some did not) until the customer got tired of dealing with it, and/or they ran out of mags. So then they dropped the 227 because it was "failing" due to the mag issues.

Kind of similar to Taurus in that respect (not near as bad, but similar philosophy). Just goes to show that they are not a "we'll make it right for you" kind of outfit - IMO.

Totally driven by profit - shifting to polymer striker fired guns because they are easier to manufacture and more profitable - especially for government contracts.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with CZ or H&K instead.

SIG won't fix the slightest little issue - instead they just drop it instead of putting in the effort.

E.G.; the 14rd 227 mags - all they had to do was use a different spring. But instead of doing that, they just played switcheroo with the mags (some worked, some did not) until the customer got tired of dealing with it, and/or they ran out of mags. So then they dropped the 227 because it was "failing" due to the mag issues.

Kind of similar to Taurus in that respect (not near as bad, but similar philosophy). Just goes to show that they are not a "we'll make it right for you" kind of outfit - IMO.

Totally driven by profit - shifting to polymer striker fired guns because they are easier to manufacture and more profitable - especially for government contracts.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with CZ or H&K instead.
Id call their striker fired polymer modular guns strokes of Genius. The whole trigger group core concept is magnificent.

Id call their striker fired polymer modular guns strokes of Genius. The whole trigger group core concept is magnificent.
If you like striker fired guns and the balance of polymer frames, then yes.

Personally, I am willing to go with the slighter weightier alloy framed metal guns as I prefer the balance and the fact that I don't carry very often and they are not that much heavier, plus I do not like striker fired triggers.

If you like striker fired guns and the balance of polymer frames, then yes.

Personally, I am willing to go with the slighter weightier alloy framed metal guns as I prefer the balance and the fact that I don't carry very often and they are not that much heavier, plus I do not like striker fired triggers.
I used to think the same thing until I bought a custom trigger.
And the cool thing is these modular alt-glock pistols went back to the classic 1911 grip angle so they balance perfectly.

Colt is just a company that has been plagued by mismanagement for decades. Every now and then you hear they are stopping civilian sales because they cant keep up with military contracts because they can't. Then everywhere you look theres Colt AR's for sale. They haven't made a pistol besides custom shop stuff that anyone wants to buy in decades. Its just a bad example of a gun company. H
Yeah, don't think you've been keeping up on what's been going on with Colt over the past three years. The new Cobras, King Cobras and Pythons (all of which have received excellent reviews across the board) are selling like hotcakes; Colt has been producing some stellar 1911s over the past few years, and its ARs (particularly the 69xx series) are still the industry standard and best sellers. P.S. I am the world's biggest SIG fanboy.

Not sure what this thread is really about, but if y'all want to celebrate one obscure retailer not giving bennies to LEOs (in California, yet), have at it. Doesn't affect anything at all. Gun shops in SoCal are fighting for survival, so if this one wants to piss on potential customers, well, their loss. Standing on principle? Who's gonna notice, except us dudes on the internet?

Not sure what this thread is really about, but if y'all want to celebrate one obscure retailer not giving bennies to LEOs (in California, yet), have at it. Doesn't affect anything at all. Gun shops in SoCal are fighting for survival, so if this one wants to piss on potential customers, well, their loss. Standing on principle? Who's gonna notice, except us dudes on the internet?
Seems like one particular local gun store here in Oregon stood on a principle against 114 and got the ball rolling and made a difference.
I wish all stores banded together on these issues. Imagine is magically every gun store stopped selling standard mags to cops in ban states how long those laws would last.

Yeah Ruger is building AR-15's , Silencers etc. All kinds of stuff that make old Bill turn over in his grave. . Bill was the consummate Fudd and was only concerned with imports undercutting his garbage mini 14. I wouldn't buy one of his guns while Bill was alive but the Ruger of Bills days is NOT the Ruger of today.
Hey!:eek: I'm here to tell ya that the mini14 was not "garbage". I owned 5 of them at one point, stainless, scoped, folders, you name it. >>>>{pardon a bit of thread-drift} His pistols were/are the entry-level for many of us over the decades. I've got a couple that I wouldn't want to be without, like a .357 Blackhawk and .44 mag Redhawk, and the Old Army .44 percussion was an eye-opener and real trip to get in 1972, actually my first legal revolver- carried the P89 and P95 and mini as duty weapons during my career. (pistols I wish I'd never have parted with FWIW).... Anyway, Ruger was no saint but he designed some good stuff- including the mini- and frankly some of us of the "older generation" at least, owe him a lot, I remember the gun biz BEFORE Ruger made it big in the gun scene... THAT SAID, I did divest of my mini's and been (a bit) standoffish to a degree from Ruger products, even "post Bill"... Like S&W I only buy used Rugers... anyway, God bless him for what he did for shooters generally, where ever he may be...I see Bill Ruger as one of the perhaps lesser "Gun Gods"- like, perhaps, Peter Paul Mauser- not a John Moses Browning for sure but all seated at the same table in Valhalla!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top