JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, Obama was the greatest gun salesman ever...at least he has that. I think the companies were dumb to think that this was the new norm for sales.

Part of the problem is nowadays people like cheap polymer pistols...Hi-point, Kel-tec, Ruger LCRs and even the polymer S&Ws... sorry if I offend anyone here, it's not my intention.

Almost nothing is made like it used to be, but I would love to see a resurgence of American Quality.

I shot a friend's .22 Victory and it's a good performer right out of the box. For sure their S&W branded knives are POS, that was a mistake.

We'll probably never see on anyone's new manufactured handguns anything like the beautiful hand-fitted, deep shiny-black bluing like Colt and S&W used to make -before planned obsolescence became a "good idea". :(

Back when Coca-Cola tasted good and came in those little 8-oz. glass bottles. :p

Always said Democratic elections are great for gun sales!

But really, S&W hasn't really done anything beyond M&P line and some basic entry AR's as of late I think?

I like my M&P 2.0 but honestly I cannot tell much apart from some other Poly pistols other than design and brand name and some internal components.

Gunmakers just don't have a long-term vision right now. They were selling guns by the truckload during the Obama years and with the expectation that the witch was going to win, and when Trump won, they didn't reset for much lower growth and sales.

IMO, just poor management and they didn't know how to properly set expectations internally and externally when Trump won. It was great for gun owners, but was going to be bad for gun makers and will be for another 2 years (at least).

My first handguns were old school Smith & Wesson's, the 439 and the 459 models. They function flawlessly for over 20 years.
I also a Smith & Wesson 19 .357 for many years which was unfired and a showpiece.

I loved them but it came time to consolidate and they were all sold.:(

Actually S&W did reset expectations and exceeded the estimate. As the article said,
"But the company still managed to beat expectations, reporting earnings per share of 14 cents. Rommel Dionisio, gun industry analyst for Aegis Capital, said the company guidance and consensus forecast was for 3 cents."

I don't own a S&W. Never saw anything that I would want to own.

I feel like their prices are a bit inflated for many of their revolvers. Their polymer pistols are comfortable, but their triggers are meh at best.

I do give them a lot of credit for selling a ton of inexpensive AR15s though. They have my respect for getting a ton of AR15s into the market.

What's your beef with them?
Older versus new smith revolvers:
1. The unnecessary lock on current-production revolvers is just an additional thing that can go wrong as well as being philosophically offensive.
2. The fit and finish of the older guns was better.
3. The older guns had pinned barrels. With a new smith revolver you better see before buying. There have been problems with the barrels sometimes not being aligned.

On the upside for current or more recent but used smith revolvers:
1. Stainless steel. For use near salt water or for carrying and shooting regularly with just occassional cleaning, stainless is far superior to blue. For long hiking or camping trips or shtf I would't have anything else.
2. Most early versions of even the full size guns don't have replaceable front sights.
3. Some older K, L, or N frame revolvers have square grip frames; some have round-butt grip frames. Square grip frames limit you to bigger grips. Modern versions of K, L, or N frame revolvers all have round-butt grip frames. These allow use of large or small and square or round-butt grips. (A removeable metal adaptor piece allows use of square grips with round-butt frames.) Smaller round-butt grips are easier to conceal.
4. There are some new calibers. 460 SW and 500.
5. There are titanium frame guns.
6. Some new Smiths in .357 and .44 have integral rails for mounting optics or lights.
7. In .357 mag, the 686 Plus has 7 rounds. And there is the new N frame .357, the 627, with 8-round capacity. Older guns are limited to 5 or 6. Check out the Performance Center 627 5-inch. Beautiful new design with tuned action including trigger stop, 8 rounds of .357 in an all ss N-frame revolver that measures only 9.5 inches overall and weighs only 43.6 oz. (Covet, covet, covet! Drool!)(I have never had much trouble not covetting my neighbor's wife or a$$, at least not the donkey kind. But as for the occasional gun, forgedaboutit!)

Last Edited:
I have a model 19, 686, 4013, and M&P Compact Shield in 9mm. Never shot the autos and the revolvers are safe queens. I had a 3" 65 that I sold like a dmb@ss.

Anyway, P&R Smith revolvers are a testament to American craftsmanship.

Any company owned by a private equity firm is doomed. That's the nature of PE, short term gains with no long term plan.

I have a friend who is a headhunter/recruiter and he has told me people are actively trying to get out of the firearms business. I guess the industry is highly dependent on repeat customers, and people aren't buying guns like they used to under Obama. I know for me the last 3 guns I bought were used, and two of those were from WWII.

IMO the industry is way too heavily invested in AR15 variants and accessories. I love my AR's, but I have enough of them. My local shop has so many used AR's, and they just can't sell them.

I love the new Marlin 1894c reissue in .38 sp/.357... people were clamoring for this chambering for years, it took them forever to do it. I would also love to see an M14 clone reasonably priced, in the $800-$900 range (c'mon Ruger). ...And also, why has Walther still not re-issued the PPK?

IMO the gun manufacturers need to be more creative. I have limited room in my safe and I am willing to buy a few more guns but it has to be something interesting and worthwhile.

I have 5 Smith's. A fairly new M629, a newer M60, a 2 year old M63, my M25 bought new in 1976 and a vintage Combat Masterpiece. S&W has never had the fit and finish of my Colt's. I remember selling guns in the early 70's and comparing things like crane fit and trigger pull to a Colt and that is what made me a lifelong devotee of the prancing horse. Smith's were always a less expensive service revolver that functioned well but like Glocks today, never top tier. I am pleased with the ones I own and use them often but they are nowhere near my Python, Trooper MKIII, SAA. I am buying a new Korth this year and they are at least equal to my Python but most people have never even heard of them. My M25 is a very nice factory hand fit revolver but the parts fit is still lacking compared to the Colts. When you gin up your production for inordinate sales like guns under Obama, you have to be prepared to downsize just as quickley when it dries up.

1. The unnecessary lock on current-production revolvers is just an additional thing that can go wrong as well as being philosophically offensive.

not to argue, rather share my own opinion, I share your contempt of the lock. In theory. Getting down to shooting a variety of S&W revolvers since that dreadful addition, despite such concerns, not one has ever caused a problem in what I would estimate as several metric tons of lead downrange thru the afflicted models over the last 20 years. Not once.

And the most accurate revolver I've ever shot, happens to be that ponderous N frame 627. With lock.

YMMV of course.;)

not to argue, rather share my own opinion, I share your contempt of the lock. In theory. Getting down to shooting a variety of S&W revolvers since that dreadful addition, despite such concerns, not one has ever caused a problem in what I would estimate as several metric tons of lead downrange thru the afflicted models over the last 20 years. Not once.

And the most accurate revolver I've ever shot, happens to be that ponderous N frame 627. With lock.

YMMV of course.;)
I am with you........it was an attempt to make there products more palatable to gun grabbers. I have 3 of them. Never touched one and they have been totally beguine. Never even think about them.

Smith made some really bad business decisions. Mim parts and doing away with real pistol smiting for drop in parts. Not making parts for older guns so now instead of buying a gun for a lifetime you bought a throw away gun. The lock was stupid and they lost many buyers, I am one who won't buy a new Smith revolver with a lock. Smith quit designing new guns and won't build old favorites. Colt and Smith both are in for hard times.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews