JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I defiantly need to upgrade my safe. It's true, buy larger than you think you need.

Been lusting after <broken link removed> (handguns on top, long guns below, in black), will most likely purchase one when the checkbook gives me the green-light. But, I have concerns on the delivery method. Nothing like a large truck with "Gun Safe Company" written all over it to inform the whole neighborhood what's going on. Would prefer a low-profile delivery/installation situation.

Delivery is a good thing, but I'll most likely rent a U-Haul when the time comes. Still figuring out the DIY installation (too heavy to be easy).

What does one like that sell for?

The Chinese Bighorn safes from Costco are only UL certified as a 'Residential Security Container'. They use 11 or 12 gauge steel which is why they are light for their size, since a real safe of that size is twice the weight. They are just a storage cabinet, not a safe.

Most safes have a UL TL rating like TL-30 which means it will resist attacks for up to 30 minutes.

The UL standard for Residential Security Container on the Bighorn safes means they will resist attack for 5 minutes *without power tools*.

There is a good overview here of what that means exactly, but don't expect it to stop a determined thief with tools if you aren't home.

<broken link removed>

Let's take a moment and think about the actual protection provided by a container that can be defeated in five minutes and one second by one person wielding a hammer and a screwdriver. No power tools listed, and no mention of the time it takes if there's two bad guys. Most RSC's use gauge sheet metal as the exterior wall, ten to sixteen gauge. The better ones use 3/16" steel walls, but that's still 25&#37; thinner than the U.L. minimum to meet a B safe classification.

In my opinion, if you are considering buying one of these things commonly marketed as a &#8216;safe,' you'd be better off making a serious evaluation of your needs/available funds ratio and opt for a real safe. Anything is better than nothing when it comes to protection, but carefully examine all the options before spending big bucks for minimal security.

Costco is now selling 'Winchester' brand safes as well.
Any idea of their quality?
I noticed that the Costco safes are not listed on the Winchester forum.
Maybe its a 'Costco' only between the two businesses?

The 24 gun safe listed on the Winchester site is rated by UL as 'residential security container', Chinese made from 12 gauge steel and is not a safe per se. It will protect your guns for five minutes versus an attacker with a pry bar, much less if they use a power saw to cut through the 12 gauge or cut off those exposed front door hinges.

A quick test is the price and the weight. 24 gun RSCs tend to be around 400 lbs and around $500 at Costco. A real 'safe' of that size is usually twice the price and and least 50&#37; heavier.

Cheap safes are sold like mattresses. They create special 'house models' for chains like Costco so you can't compare the pricing to their regular dealers. Most of the time it's the same product though.

Again as I posted earlier.
Figure out how much just ONE gun cost,before you make a purchase.

I had a $700 gun with a $900 scope on it.
So I was only looking at a $800 safe?

How much money in guns do you have?

HOW MUCH IS YOUR CHILD"S LIFE WORTH?

Buy a good safe or find a way to hide a cheap one in a spare room that nobody has access to but YOU

After your guns are stolen,it isn't the worry of replacing them,it's the worry of who will be killed by your firearms.

Good luck

Try www,sturdysafe.com. Go ahead and learn more about what you want in a safe. Yes, they cost more(they're American made), but maybe buy one safe for life.

Those a nice looking safes. I had a laugh at the "disclaimer" on some of the pictures "The model viewed is the owners daughter Alyssa" :s0155:

I don't own any long guns yet and really I'm putting it off because I want a proper safe first. Even a cheap save (or free lock) would have stopped this.

<broken link removed>

My kid is a drug addict and an alcoholic with 6 years sober
He would tell you the same thing.

He has NEVER had a firearm violation.Me and his step father always had guns around.

He was taught at a early age to respect guns.

This kids parents should lose their gun rights for not teaching their kid to LEAVE GUNS ALONE

Safes won't keep kids away as much as proper learning and respect of guns.

I dont think bigger is always better. I would rather have 2 safes that are 500 lbs each than 1 that is 1000 lbs. My safe ways 500lbs, 400lbs If I take the door off. A 400 lbs safe I can move myself with a hand truck. I can put it anywhere in the house I want. If I run out of room in it I can buy another safe and have two. Haveing two safes is also good becouse, It takes twice as long to break into two as it does one. Small safes fit where you want them to easier sometimes. some people put there hugh safes in there shop, This can couse a problem, you can just put a chain around it and drag it with a truck, even if it is bolted to the ground.

My safe is bolted threw the floor with two large steel plates under the house. then the nuts are welded on the bolts. It would be very very hard to steal my safe. The easiest way would to be sawzall the floor up around the safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top