JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys and gals, for years I've been using an old Craftsman bench vise bolted on a wooden mount that attaches to the bench with WW clamps.
I am having second thoughts on using it in "The ROOM" because it has to be moved off and onto the work area quite a bit and it's getting damn heavy....

D2BF53E9-5A76-42FE-AADB-50454316C6C9.jpeg

I've been seeing these low profile vices (tool or material holding vises) and they are low profile which is appealing in one sense but may not work for all my applications.

F0DED7B7-76D1-4439-BB2C-C01C9EB7C8E7.png

I know it would work really well with the lower receiver block but with a reaction rod for uppers it would sit quite a bit lower and may not work to my satisfaction.
4B8DDBDA-8E61-427A-ABFA-14466E5AF0DD.jpeg

This is where I want to mount it.

13BCE8C2-230C-422E-9E23-41549EEA28E0.jpeg

Which vise do you use, how do you mount it and if you had to do it over again what would you do differently?
What say you, is there a better mousetrap for working on AR's???

As always, thanks for your advice and insight.

Last Edited:
One doesn't need a mobster vise....I use a 4" Columbian. Its bolted to the bench. I wouldn't do anything different. I know most any regular vise will do, but a better quality with smooth motion and good fitting parallel jaws are a must.

Screenshot_2019-11-21-19-35-29-1.png

Check out Inline Fabrications mounting plates. It allows an easy swap of tools onto and off the bench, freeing up workspace when needed. Those plates and a small vise should be golden for your needs.

Check out Inline Fabrications mounting plates. It allows an easy swap of tools onto and off the bench, freeing up workspace when needed. Those plates and a small vise should be golden for your needs.

Excellent idea, I was going to get a couple for the presses later on but might as well look into it. Are they like the Lee plates?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top