JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I realize this isn't technically a "gun" thing, but it is tangentially related, and this section is probably is best. The study of language, both understood by people and computer systems, has always fascinated me. The American West had its own unique manner of speech. For example, I remember reading The Journals of Lewis and Clark and while it was in English, it was different to the point there was, if I recall correctly, a guide in the appendix (or maybe it was separate little book) explaining spelling conventions, meanings, et al. Similarly, many years ago, I did very deep dive into the early history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which included quite a bit about the "Mormon Trail" and the settlers who trekked on said.

Any good books on the topic of the manner of speech, writing, etc. of that time and place? Has it helped you with a careful study of history? Thanks. :)

Last Edited:
19th century language was as a general rule...more formal than our language and speech of today.
I enjoy reading first person accounts of that time period...and if the editor of the work does a good job , one can get a feel of those times.
Unfortunately too many editors "clean up" the text , so that it is mostly useless to get a feel for the language or the times.
Andy

The Oxford English Dictionary. I found it indispensable -- wish I hadn't given away my copy. (edit -- got tired of lugging the volumes...)
Not sure whether or not it would have contained frontier slang, but it was handy in reading literature spanning from Canterbury Tales and La Morte d'Arthur up to Paradise Lost.

Thanks for the ideas. I should have been more specific, as I know about 19th century English language; rather the unique expressions and phraseology of the American frontier.

Three excellent reads from the Western America Frontier :

Wah-To -Yah and the Taos Trail....Lewis Garrard.
Life in the Far West ...George Ruxton
The Journal of Jacob Fowler....by Jacob Fowler.

All three provide many insights to the western fur trade , trappers , traders and tribes.
All three provide authentic frontier gibberish...err,....actual mountain man lingo and talk.
Andy

Hmm that's a great question. I'd probably start to look at literature around mountain men (both contemporary and scholarly), I bet early Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain journalism from his posts in NV and CA would be fruitful and accessable.

In the 1950s-80s a lot of western university presses put out the memiors of lesser-known western folks like J. Tevis' "Arizona in the '50s" which covered the 1850s and was published in 1954 by Univ. of New Mexico press. Univ. of OK has published a ton of those books. Univ. of AZ, NM too. I pick them up when I find them cheap and they always have great, strange language in there.

Look forward to following this thread...

Something to consider here is also the location.
Reading Edgar Allan Poe...gives one insights to how he spoke and wrote in his part of America.
Reading the Journal of Jacob Fowler...shows that much of the stereotypical "Kentucky twang" was already present.
Both were writing at roughly the same time...but in two different areas of the country.
Andy

I have a half century journal written by my Great Great Grand Father, who basically arrived in Texas at the beginnings of statehood, and followed his adventures until well into his 80's.
He presumably wrote as he spoke, and it makes for interesting reading to say the least! Of of the best parts is the lingo of the times, things he came up with, or he heard, things he adopted, and things he combined. Being from the Ukraine, English was a challenge in the new world, combined with the new Texas Twang, surely led to some head scratching all around! He was smart, and his writings showed great intellect, despite never finishing school, he was well spoken enough to earn a commission in the Revenue Cutter Service, and progress to Captain just in time for the Civil War. Afterward, he joined the Texas Rangers, and Masonic lodge in Houston, eventually becoming grandmaster, we have his robes and ring to go along with a steamer trunk full of things he thought worthy of saving and passing on! I would post up part of his journal, but it's kinda jointed and disconnected, especially with out the context of anything proceeding or following anything posted! But none the less, it's a window to the past, and very entertaining to read!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top