JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Talking to jeremy at LuckySG this morning. mentioned that i had some. one thing led to another and he let me borrow his scale.
Weighed each bullet separate, set to grams (small g on scale). weight ranged from 23.87g to 24.77g.
I'm asking as he did mention Grizz ruined a barrel or two, and it was this that made me weigh them.
is this deviance in 240 grn .44 magnum ammo anything to worry about?
I bought at Bimart. best price was $55. (only 44 mag in stock)
any experiences with this? I see a few posts from a few years ago warning us away. has quality changed?

Talking to jeremy at LuckySG this morning. mentioned that i had some. one thing led to another and he let me borrow his scale.
Weighed each bullet separate, set to grams (small g on scale). weight ranged from 23.87g to 24.77g.
I'm asking as he did mention Grizz ruined a barrel or two, and it was this that made me weigh them.
any experiences with this? I see a few posts from a few years ago warning us away. has quality changed?
This doesn't even make sense.

Oh, and chuck that gram scale in the crick.

This doesn't even make sense.

Oh, and chuck that gram scale in the crick.
I think I was able to decypher the post.

Here's a rather non-definitive response - maybe not a good one, but just trying to be helpful.

NOTE: "g" in this post = grains. There are 15 grains in one gram.

So, it looks like the max weight difference for your ammo is 0.90 grams, which equals 13.5 grains. Let's use this figure (since we don't have a mean or median weight difference data for your batch of ammo). This would be "worst case scenario."

Anyway -

I checked Hodgdon reloading data for the powder load data for a 240 grain projectile. The TOPPED-OUT range was between 9.5g for 700-X up to around 20g for Accurate #9.

So, 13.5g variation is enough to account for a double charge in a round - depending on what powder Grizzly is using to manufacture the rounds.

BUT that weight difference could easily be accounted for in weight variations of projectiles and cases.

In my pistol caliber reloading experience I've found the following:
  • Pistol caliber projectiles (same manufacturer) vary very little in weight, maybe 2 to 5 grains (the larger the projectile the more mass and thus, the greater the possible variation in weight. But, weight is very consistent between projectiles.
  • Pistol caliber cases (same manufacturer/headstamp) are more variable in weight - experiencing up to 10 grains (and in rare occasions, even more) variation for large cases (less variation for small cases, which is obvious given the smaller mass).
So, it is very possible that the 13.5g MAXIMUM variation in the weights of the rounds can be accounted for by projectile and case weight variations.

This is where knowing the mean and median (and if ALL the rounds were weighed - the mode) would provide for a better risk assessment.

Anyway, this was a nice mental exercise. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Good Luck.

Last Edited:
I think I was able to decypher the post.

Here's a rather non-definitive response - maybe not a good one, but just trying to be helpful.

NOTE: "g" in this post = grains. There are 15 grains in one gram.

So, it looks like the max weight difference for your ammo is 0.90 grams, which equals 13.5 grains. Let's use this figure (since we don't have a mean or median weight difference data for your batch of ammo). This would be "worst case scenario."

Anyway -

I checked Hodgdon reloading data for the powder load data for a 240 grain projectile. The TOPPED-OUT range was between 9.5g for 700-X up to around 20g for Accurate #9.

So, 13.5g variation is enough to account for a double charge in a round - depending on what powder Grizzly is using to manufacture the rounds.

BUT that weight difference could easily be accounted for in weight variations of projectiles and cases.

In my pistol caliber reloading experience I've found the following:
  • Pistol caliber projectiles (same manufacturer) vary very little in weight, maybe 2 to 5 grains (the larger the projectile the more mass and thus, the greater the possible variation in weight. But, weight is very consistent between projectiles.
  • Pistol caliber cases (same manufacturer/headstamp) are more variable in weight - experiencing up to 10 grains (and in rare occasions, even more) variation for large cases (less variation for small cases, which is obvious given the smaller mass).
So, it is very possible that the 13.5g MAXIMUM variation in the weights of the rounds can be accounted for by projectile and case weight variations.

This is where knowing the mean and median (and if ALL the rounds were weighted - the mode) would provide for a better risk assessment.

Anyway, this was a nice mental exercise. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Good Luck.
I kinda divined that part but the rest made my head hurt.

I believe the confusion is what exactly was weighted. 'Bullet' could mean the 'projectile' itself or 'the entire 'round'. I'm assuming its the later the OP is talking about from Grizzly Cartridge Co.. and not an actual grizzly bear.

Actually the OP (me) was more confused than he imagined.
The scale I was using was unfamiliar and I made 'assumptions'.
with my rudder somewhat straighter (Thanks to @washagonian ) i did a little more digging.
the scale reads in g (grams) or gn (grain) the default is g
I had weighed each one (50 fully loaded rounds of ammo) and found the following:
g

Mean
24.254​
Median
24.255​
Mode
24.34​
Max
24.77​
Min
23.86​

I then, after revisiting basic math, converted each weight to grain (g x 15.4324)

gn
Mean
374.2932​
Median
374.39​
Mode
375.6246​
Max
382.2605​
Min
368.2171​

if i subtract 240 gn (bullet weight, assumed) from the mean, i get an average weight of case, primer and powder of 134.2932
what I learned from this exercise is:
1. I still know Jack Sh!t. for accuracy i should know weight of case and prmr to then know weight of powder (+/- differences in bullet weight)
2. My bubblegumming brain hurts
3. I put a lot of faith into the contents of each box of over the counter rounds and should either trust them, or spend lots of $$ and learn to reload so that I am confident of each round.

This has gone on way to long and this is my mea culpa from the original post. Thread could die and I'd be happy

3. I put a lot of faith into the contents of each box of over the counter rounds and should either trust them, or spend lots of $$ and learn to reload so that I am confident of each round.
With my reloading skills, I think I'm usually more confident of OTC ammo. 😂

Your numbers look pretty tight, which is a good thing.

Cheers.

SMH, TMI.
To the OP, if you're really worried about the ammo being overcharged then pull them down and check the weight of the powder.
It's like the old saying, "nuke them from space, (it's the only way to be sure)"

Good Day (in a Paul Harvey voice)

I've shot two different lot numbers of Grizzly in my 500 S&W. First lot wouldn't extract and had loose primers on first firing. They stood behind their product and traded me for another box but different lot number. The newer lot was even worse for pressure signs. Shoot at your own risk.

Not sure what this thread is about. Have had good consistency with grizzly 45LC cowboy ammo.

Have never tried grizzly mountain man ammo but this guy says it's good. :p

5F6B05D3-DCBF-4F3E-8403-5A70473B9552.jpeg

Couldn't tell ya, but I did email them a few MONTHS back for basic data on the numbers they put on some of their ammo (this particular email was regarding 45-70 ammo).

The website says the owner has to personally provide this (which is think is a bit odd), and it can take up to a month to get a reply.

This was several months back, and I have yet to receive a reply.

I'm not worried that the ammo is "too hot", even if it is +P (box says +P), because the Ruger No 1 action is about as bulletproof as an action can get. But still…. Would like to know what the specs are that produced the numbers on the box,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top