Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Great find

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by slapdash, Oct 15, 2013.

1. slapdash

slapdash Oak Harbor Member

Finally found one of these. A Remington 788 in .308 in super good condition. Bore and bolt (bolt and receiver #'s match) hardly look worn. Only area I had to deal with was the terribly neglected stock. Over oiling cause ugly black marks on the underside where the floor plate/trigger guard meet the wood, end of the bolt channel on stock and, for some reason, under the sling swivel studs !!!! I contemplated refinishing or painting or getting another stock but settled on refinishing. The clear factory finish was scratched and faded all over, so I removed the old finish, 220 sanded down pretty good and noticed the wood actually had a very interesting natural pattern, so instead of staining, I just smoothed it out and put 3 coats of minwax poly satin finish. After 3 days of drying, I blended it all with 0000 steel wool (sprayed brake parts cleaner on the pad to get rid of the oil) and rubbed it down with a soft cloth. Didn't turn out half bad. Bluing is great but the buttpad is worn. All together, a worthwhile project. Called Remington and they gave me a born on date of 1974. Can't decide what to do with it yet, want to keep, but ammo prices are still absurd so I might sell/trade, we'll see. Just want to look at it for a while ; ) . As I understand it from several friends who have or have had them that they are super accurate and reliable.

imgur: the simple image sharer