JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is the big deal here on this subject, CHL comes up with your Drivers License. I have been asked if I had a gun in the car and replied truthfully yes or no. I think it is a fair question for an Officer to ask..........No harm done in my mind........And just my opinion.
Have a good day Gent's

When they run a license plate, Washington Co, Oregon deputies definitely can tell if the owner has a CHL.

It shows up on their primary screen, and I've seen it personally.

This is one of the many questions that I asked during my last ride-along, and saw it first hand. (He said something like "wait a second", and ran the plate on a couple of cars ahead of us. I think it was the 2nd one that had a CHL.)

We talked about CHL for a bit, and he seemed less concerned with CHL than with random-bad-dude with a gun with less than honorable intents. They treat everyone as if they're a threat, as unfortunately they have to in this screwed up world we live in.

UD

City Police, county Sheriff's Deputies and State Patrol have the same access to the same information. And, no they cannot tell you the serial number of every gun you've ever owned.

Uhh,the police knew what guns the guy in Seattle had when he shot that coffee shop up.......from his pistol permit

If you are going to say anything,when the ask about a gun,how about "does this have anything to do with my driving?"

The thing is,if he pulls the permit he can bet on 2 things
1) You have a gun in the car
2) You have a gun in the car BECAUSE THEY DID A BACK ROUND CHECK AND YOU ARE A DECENT CITIZEN AND CAN LEGALLY DO SO

So they need to get over themselves and not worry about us permit holders,WE AREN'T THE BAD GUYS.
More likely we are the ones that would help them in a pinch.

So don't show them your card or your gun and let them come to their own conclusions.
Or do like I do and drive safe and slow. Well like I started to do recently

Uhh,the police knew what guns the guy in Seattle had when he shot that coffee shop up.......from his pistol permit

If you are going to say anything,when the ask about a gun,how about "does this have anything to do with my driving?"

The thing is,if he pulls the permit he can bet on 2 things
1) You have a gun in the car
2) You have a gun in the car BECAUSE THEY DID A BACK ROUND CHECK AND YOU ARE A DECENT CITIZEN AND CAN LEGALLY DO SO

So they need to get over themselves and not worry about us permit holders,WE AREN'T THE BAD GUYS.
More likely we are the owns that would help them in a pinch.

So don't show them your card or your gun and let them come to their ones conclusions.
Or do like I do and drive safe and slow. Well like I started to do recently

Sorry my experience is with Oregon, not Washington. No firearms data is linked with Oregon CHL info and the only thing an LEO in Oregon can do is run the gun to see if it is stolen.

Not every gun, but...
In Washington State, ever since the State has had their Pistol Application enacted, every hand gun you've ever purchased via an FFL in Washington State is in fact on record.
Full description and serial number.
Yes... Washington State does have hand gun registration when it comes to any, and every hand gun you purchase via an FFL.

As I state above, I am familiar with how the Oregon system works only and since the OP was posting from Oregon, I figured it was okay. Regardless, the statement I made is true, they have no record of "every" firearm you've purchased. I, can see how what I typed could be taken as incorrect by people from Washington.

For WA State, the police will know when they run your driver's license. I have personally heard more than once this while listening to a police-radio scanner (using the app 5-0 on my iPhone). The officer radios in the details, and a couple of minutes later he gets the response back including that they had a CPL.

Peter

Sometimes. I know for a fact that not all of them are linked.

I believe the law in Oregon is that if you are in the presence of an office ie discussing something (depending on the context) or if you are being pulled over you are probably required by law to state upfront that you are carrying a gun.

I've said it before (and been flamed for it), and I still say it. I've been pulled over numerous times, in numerous states, since getting my CCW. I don't like surprises, and I don't expect the LEO's do either. First thing I do if I'm carrying is hand them my DL and my CCW Permit (along with the registration and proof of insurance). I let them know that I have a permit and whether or not I am carrying. I understand that I am not required to do this. I understand the "Don't tell them anything" mentality, even if I don't agree with it.
I have never had an issue with this. When I was younger, they took an unloaded revolver out of my car (it was on my seat, not on my person) until the stop was over. Every other time, it never even went that far. A couple have even asked what I carried.

I understand that some of you have gotten butt hurt by LEO's. I understand that you don't trust them. For me, until they prove that they don't deserve my respect, I will give it to them, and in my mind that means doing whatever I can to make their jobs easier and less stressful.

Feel free to flame my opinion if you want, but that's how I handle it. Hasn't burned me yet...

I believe the law in Oregon is that if you are in the presence of an office ie discussing something (depending on the context) or if you are being pulled over you are probably required by law to state upfront that you are carrying a gun.

You aren't required to offer the information in OR.

I haven't been pulled over except for once back in 1978 just a week after I got my license. Was going 30 mph in a 20 mph School Zone. The officer saw how distraught I was over getting pulled over so quickly after getting my license, he gave me a verbal warning only. I've never been pulled over since. I hope to keep that record until I die, but like most good things, the streak will probably end before then.

Out of respect I hand them my dl and chp at the same time.

What would you do then when the officer asks to see your weapon? You want to be in the presence of an officer and pull out your chambered Glock with no safety and do this in some safe manner not even knowing how qualified the officer is to handle a firearm?

Do you refuse and say no thank you officer, I legally do not have to do that, or ....

You want to pull it out of your IWB holster as safe as possible so you ask to stand outside the car? Then the cop is really nervous and agitated and would feel better if you were treated as a threat/criminal with your legs spread and your hands on the car with him removing your possible unfamiliar firearm; again trusting that he won't put one down your thigh as he removes it.

He then wants to run your gun through the state database and match up you with the serial number, make sure it isn't stolen, etc. Do you object at this point? You bought the gun from a private party ten years old and it turns out to be stolen and now you are going for a ride. Technically, you didn't do anything proactively illegal, but you are still in the back seat and your car is being towed.

Maybe that didn't happen, so ...

The officer asks if you have any other weapons in the car. You were just at the range and you have an AR-15, shotgun, and four pistols and ammo in the trunk. You are open/honest and say yes. He demands to see them.

Do you refuse at this point, or open the trunk?

"Why do you need an 'assault' weapon in your trunk?" I was at the range practicing sir". "Why do you need all this?" Back up arrives. Your weapons are laid out on the police car, ground for all to see as the town meeting of police want to know why you have so many guns. Just who are you? What is going on here?

Honesty and (feigned) respect always, but know that things have a tendency to cascade. Your reward for yapping isn't always a pat on the back. It is always best to say as little as possible always. The 'Don't talk to police video' being the gold standard.

Have the attitude that you are not a criminal and am not going to tolerate being treated or questioned like one, because that is truth.

All of this of course is the here and now. In the future, you can toss all this out the window. You will have no rights, perceived or otherwise; show your papers, checkpoints, etc; you know, like the previous 'Homeland.'

I've said it before (and been flamed for it), and I still say it. I've been pulled over numerous times, in numerous states, since getting my CCW. I don't like surprises, and I don't expect the LEO's do either. First thing I do if I'm carrying is hand them my DL and my CCW Permit (along with the registration and proof of insurance). I let them know that I have a permit and whether or not I am carrying. I understand that I am not required to do this. I understand the "Don't tell them anything" mentality, even if I don't agree with it.
I have never had an issue with this. When I was younger, they took an unloaded revolver out of my car (it was on my seat, not on my person) until the stop was over. Every other time, it never even went that far. A couple have even asked what I carried.

I understand that some of you have gotten butt hurt by LEO's. I understand that you don't trust them. For me, until they prove that they don't deserve my respect, I will give it to them, and in my mind that means doing whatever I can to make their jobs easier and less stressful.

Feel free to flame my opinion if you want, but that's how I handle it. Hasn't burned me yet...

I have respect for you Mountianbear and agree with most of what you say. I have respect for LE as a whole but respect is a two way street. It should not always be about making the LEs life less stressful, what about ours? Sometime people are pulled over or messed with by LEOs when they feel they have done nothing wrong and dont feel like being messed with. Maybe the cops should think about that too. Goes both ways.

I would give them my CHL if I had one and tell them if I was carrying up front. I would not want to give a stranger my firearm, cops included. I would if i had to but would not like it.

Respect is earned, not freely given.

Well Kids, it's worked for me. I haven't had an issue yet. I understand where you say respect is earned, not given, and as of yet, I haven't had a LEO do anything to lose my respect. I've never been pulled over when I did nothing wrong. Even if it was something as stupid as not signalling soon enough before changing lanes (obvious drunk-check), I still was in the wrong. Ticky-tack maybe, but...

I've only had the one officer ask for a firearm, and it was unloaded and in the open. When the gun has been holstered, they haven't asked to remove it. They've simply asked me not to pull it out. Seems reasonable. That attitude seems prevalent over here in Central Oregon. That is how they have earned my respect. Until that is broken, I will continue to act that way.

It's the way I do it. Doesn't mean it's the right way, doesn't mean yours is the wrong way. I respect your choices. My background and experiences have shaped the way I act, as yours have.

Respect is earned, not freely given.

I believe this as well, in all aspects of life. But I also try extremely hard to live by another saying.

"Treat people the way you want to be treated." And I do, until the time their actions deem otherwise. If someone is polite and treats me with respect, I will do the same. If they aren't, well then I'll do the absolute minimum to complete the interaction.

I'll lean more towards the idea that the LEO may or may not know ANYTHING about guns and doesn't know how to safely handle mine. Not all police are shooters and even if they aren't,they may not know my particular gun. So I would rather not give it to them.
I'll leave my hands on the steering wheel while they are checking out my DL,but not hand over the gun.

Now why ask about the gun if the person has not acted stupid or doesn't have any warrants?
Why treat us like criminals?
Maybe you need another job if you are afraid of someone with a clean record and a weapons permit.
And as far as respect goes,most of the time the cop shows his colors fairly soon during the stop.
Anyway,I respect the guys who show their permits but don't believe it in any ones best interest to do so.
But like the bumper sticker said the other day.
"Go ahead and take my civil liberties,I wasn't using them anyway"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads