Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got a shield, not sure I like it. What about an Xds?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by beranimus, Jun 4, 2013.

1. beranimus

beranimus Veneta Active Member

So like it says I picked up a m&p shield 9mm. I was super excited to shoot it and use it for concealed carry. Well after I shot it I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can shoot it fine but I don't think I like the trigger very much. It seems so stiff. I shoot my Xdm 4.5 45 acp a lot and love the trigger it has. I guess I'm wondering how the trigger is in the Xds. Is it anything like my XDM? Or should I just get the Apex tactical trigger for my shield?

Thanks for the help

2. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I have both and I like the XDS better. Just fits my paw a little better than the Shield.

3. beranimus

I haven't been able to find an XDs to pick up yet but I do like the way the shield feels in my hand.

4. wou42

wou42 Portland Active Member

I have the Apex kit in my Shield and it made a HUGE difference. I too was not fond of the stock trigger. Now I love my the pistol.

5. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I was in Corvallis Guns today. They have (had) both the XDs and the .40 shield in stock late in the day.

FYI

6. beranimus

Maybe I'll just get the Apex kit then.

7. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

IF the only gripe is the trigger- everyone pretty well agrees S&W triggers kinda suck outta box but very easy fix with Apex parts. Or send it to ATEi and get slide treatment and trigger job!

8. beranimus

ATEi? Who's that?

9. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

10. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I have both the XDm 4.5" in .45 ACP, and the XD-S in .45 ACP. Right now the XD-S is my choice for concealed carry due to it's small size.

If the world gets uglier, I might think about carrying the XDm since it has more rounds (13 versus 5, or 7 if extended mag with the XD-S) and I'm generally more accurate with the XDm due to the longer barrel.

Peter

11. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Kent, WA Member

I had a M&P9C and put in the APEX kit. Even then, I wasn't too impressed with the trigger. I have not shot a Shield but I can't imagine it be any better. I do like the XDs' trigger so I might give the XDs9 a try

12. muppetman

muppetman Eastside Active Member

I get my XDs 9 on tuesday or wednesday, so i'll send a little report on how i like it asap. Ordered an IWB leather holster too.

13. bigmacattack

bigmacattack KING COUNTY Member

I have a prob liking my shield as well. I think all the waiting and hype put my expectations too high. also im way too used to my glock 19s trigger.

14. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Caveat emptor, the rear sight must be removed to complete the Apex tactical kit trigger upgrade. It is a b$tch to remove. Advise to read and prepare for the job.

15. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

I'd trade you my M&P40c with Apex DCAEK trigger kit in it, laser, 3 mags, and the ammo in the mags straight across for the Shield. I love my wife's shield for the size (can carry in my pocket).

16. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

I would if it was a M&P 9c and I would think about it

17. beranimus

That is very tempting

18. Glock23gp

Glock23gp Newport / Salem Active Member

Xds 9 is nowhere near the weapon the Shield is. Bought mine last night with the intention of replacing my shield but after putting 30 rds through the Xds 9 last nigh I think its gonna be for sale very soon. Very surprised since I love my Xdms...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

19. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

I fired both last night too. I also think the shield is a better gun.

20. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

specifics on why you don't like the xds 9? I've been waiting for them to come out, to compare to the shield. I had 2 M&P's & got rid of both, mainly due to the triggers. I refused to put that much more in them for the apex kit at the time. A poor design should be addressed by the mfr, not consumer IMO. I've always really liked the xd triggers...