JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a new phone - a Google Pixel 4a 5G, because my Samsung S6 display was getting flaky, and the battery wasn't lasting more than about 16-20 hours with minimal use.

I had to update the SIM because my VOIP provider - TextNow - resells Sprint, which is now T-Mobile.

After getting the new SIM, it took me several days online with their tech support to get the phone to halfway work, and it still won't give me data. I got several techies in India and they kept having me delete their dialer/SMS app, reinstall it, remove/reinstall the SIM, reset the phone, etc. - and it still doesn't work right; no internet access, only cell access, and that is iffy at that (sometimes when someone calls me the phone rings on my end, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it goes right to email, sometimes it just rings 4-6 times for the caller and then hangs up. I.E., unreliable. Also, although T-Mobile provides 5G and my phone is supposed to support 5G, they (TextNow) say they don't support it.

Living by myself in the boonies, I need a more dependable service provider.

So I am thinking either T-Mobile prepaid or Google Fi.

I want 5G and I want the phone to work with the native dialer/SMS. I want internet access/data, but I don't need much, just enough to check my email and FB messages, which is how my daughter contacts me most of the time.

Thoughts?

Have you checked to see which providers get good service where you are? We have used pre paid since the kids all left home so a LONG time now. Used Verizon for a many years but it was always low par no matter where we were. Finally just switched to AT&T and it works FAR better. Of course its going to depend on where the nearest tower is to you. Have used Tracfone for many years. We pick a phone from either them or from Amazon. Pop their Sim in and away we go. We go with the min service which is unlimited text talk, 1G a month data that rolls over. Since only time I use the data is driving for music. Last I looked my phone has built up like 20 G of data. Cost is $15 a month per line plus of course the local taxes. You can use their service and just get a Sim for any provider you want to use and either buy the phone from them or someone else. So far been through many phones and not a problem yet.

1. There is more than one 5G

2. Coverage Maps are like fishing stories.

Nationwide = mostest availablist 5g

UWB = thats the one the Airlines forgot to test for and whined and complained about planes falling from the skys. IOW the one you want. Available in a few select 1sq mi areas.

Based on your usage, 4G is just fine.

Set up WiFi calling for where you can use it, with a VPN of course.

I had not heard the term Sub-6 before this article:
"All Pixel 4a 5G and 5 units will be able to hop on the most common type of 5G network where spectrum is located at or below 6GHz or "sub-6" as it is known."

If you can get a freind or family to come by where you would use it most often, like maybe your throne room, and see if they have "good" coverage.

The app SpeedTest is one I recmmend to 'measure' 'good'

OpenSignal is also good to test connections. I have used both.

I am not in the boonies, but Washington County near Tansaborne and get 5g on GoogleFi network. We do not get 5g at home on Verizon which the wife has.

1646198195339.png 1646198216487.png

Last Edited:
Like Alex said, check to see what the service is like at your location. The maps, and "tech support" are almost always useless... which is why they had you restart/reinstall so many times.

Verizon has the largest infrastructure in remote areas here in the NW, but even then, it's not the best. Also, their service and tactics are on part with Comcrap. I hate them.

If you have WiFi, most newer devices will support WiFi calling and network access, meaning your calls/text will use your internet connection when cellular connection is poor. But you'll have to check if your MVNO supports this. (Google Fi is an MVNO using the T mobile network and does support this.)

BTW, T mobile is shutting down 3g and 4g LTE (Sprint) networks in July, in favor of 5g. Verizon is shutting down CDMA by the end of the year. Older devices will be rendered useless, the life cycle is getting shorter and shorter.

-Robert

TMobile/sprint is the underlying provider, and it works for neighbors too.

Less concerned about that than how the prepaid system works - having had issues with non-native dialers.

WiFi, which is long distance for me, is more unreliable than the cellular.

Went with t-mobile.

They have some very basic prepaid plans that are kind of hidden:

but when i tried to order online it wouldn't let me - kind going round in circles, so i asked the chatbot for help, and eventually got a person online who completed the order for me. wound up with a plan that was better at the same price as textnow. we'll see how that works out

Got the SIM, but the online support guy had set me up with a data only plan, so I had to call into their tech support again to get it working with calling/texting too.

So it works now, is more reliable, and works with the native dialer. Even gets 5G sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top