JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm finding more and more, I can google (or any other search) just about anything, but the first pages of hits are from businesses that don't have what I'm looking for.

If I searched for a cartridge, or made up a fictitious cartridge, and google it, I'd get hits from Cabelas. I'd click on it, and they would try switching me to what they have, not what I'm looking for.

Today, I was looking for a DR (brand) wheeled trimmer. Lots of hits from Coastal Farm, but when I click on their web page, they don't have a DR, but they've sure got a Husqvarna.

Searched for a certain Ryobi Trimmer. Got hits from Home Depot, but they don't carry this trimmer. They sure steered me to something else.

I could click on a certain brand of ice maker, and I'd get hits from Amazon and Walmart. They don't have the product I'm looking for, but they sure lured me into their trap.

This, as so much of internet marketing, is bordering on slimy.

Last Edited:
Just tried it. (duckduckgo) It's good they don't track me, but I still was bombarded by everything else I didn't ask for. Whoever pays the most to be on top of a search list, wins.

Just tried it. (duckduckgo) It's good they don't track me, but I still was bombarded by everything else I didn't ask for. Whoever pays the most to be on top of a search list, wins.
Thats the way it works. Googles billions didn't come from from simply placing the best meta tags in the Frontpage HTML code :)

AdSense

Not everyone knows what they are looking for. Some people need to be told.

What I see on my screen is a little circle with "AD" inside at the left of the first few links. I dont bother even clicking those. I scroll down a few to click.

I started using Duck Duck Go on the advice of some folks here - seems to work pretty well. As for those top search results, I trained myself a long time ago to ignore the top 2-5 results and jump down the page half-way or so before my real results appear.

They are a business, have to make money to survive and prosper - I don't have an issue with that. I just learn to work around it.

Startpage.com. They don't track. They also use Google servers for your search but don't attach your IP address to the search.

Remember, with book face, Google, etc, YOU are the product.

Startpage.com. They don't track. They also use Google servers for your search but don't attach your IP address to the search.

Remember, with book face, Google, etc, YOU are the product.

But even with that, and regardless of what search engine you use, your ISP still tracks, and records, every page you go to, correct?

Yes, your ISP records everything by default. They use your data internally and make it available to third parties but don't blatantly target you like Google, et al.

Maybe. Depends upon your ISP.

Also you can get and use a VPN service.
The Awesomer Shop these guys often (quarterly) run a discount for one - which I have and like. Safety First--Protect Your Online Activity & Browse without Restriction for Life
Lifetime VPN? Try Infinity VPN - VPN Unlimited's Top-Rated Premium Version

CenturyLink - I'm pretty sure they do record it.

I've heard about using VPN's, but haven't really dug in to how to do it yet. I'll have to check out those links. The way things are going, it might be nice to have a little more between me and them.

Your cell phone provider harvests anything and all that goes thru your phone, even text messages. Various apps also use the microphone on your phone to listen to voice conversations. So if you see ads popping up about stuff you've talked about but know that you've never mentioned it via your devices or PC's, that's why.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top