JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a number of tarps - the cheap small one I bought at HF just basically disintegrated over time laying on top of some firewood - almost useless. I have an old canvas tarp that I have had forever, but it is small and canvas tarps, even the treated ones (I think this one was treated at one time) tend to soak in the water and are minimal for long term water protection unless repeatedly treated, and even then.

I bought a heavier plastic like large camo tarp from Sportsman's Guide and recently used it to cover a load I took to the dump, it tore on some corners but not too badly.

My intended emergency use is to cover a hole in the roof from trees/etc. falling on the house or shop or a vehicle, also to cover firewood/etc. (although that doesn't usually work well). Plastic may last 1-2 seasons. I also have rolls of heavy plastic for emergencies too - for covering windows/etc.

Suggestions/experience with regards to tarps?

I really like Canvas for its durability, but it does need its waterproofing refreshed periodically. This link is more information than you need, but I like it. It talks about the historical use of the material and how you can refresh it yourself at home with a few things from the hardware store.

Consider some 10 mill heavy clear or black plastic sheeting. You probably already are using this. Used by gardeners and construction crews for many purposes usually meant to bar moisture intrusions. Work OK.

Heavy plastic tarps usually have grommet holes on the edges. Good for support or tie down ropes. They work great for about one season. Try to keep them out of direct sunlight. They will stop rainfall or snow.

I used HD plastic WW tarps to rain fly my small tent used for one winter camping in the woods during the cabin construction. Worked great. Be sure to consider rain and snow collection in the low pockets.

Canvas tarps will degrade over time, especially if left in direct sunlight or large temperature swings. Does anybody make HD water proof sunlight resistant plastic or canvas tarps? Military suplus? Construction?

My intended emergency use is to cover a hole in the roof from trees/etc. falling on the house or shop or a vehicle, also to cover firewood/etc.
I found rolls of black visqueen to be the most cost effective. The thickest I've purchased it was 10 mil, 20' x 100'
Stored inside in a cool/dark place, it keeps for years.
I've covered roofs, campers, wood piles, vehicles.
IMO the black stuff outlasts HF poly tarps by a year, not much more - the sun kills them.

Edit to add:
something that is remarkably durable is vinyl flooring. On occasion you can find surplus rolls that are 12' x however many feet left. Heavy, but the stuff lasts for years, in the sun.
Next, I'd look at rubberized canvas.

I had a friend who used to work for a signage company, and he had a ton of vinyl misprints or demo banners that didn't function as signage anymore. They're actually designed to hold up in sunlight, which the crappy blue ones are not. I got a few of them from him, the sizes are weird but the material can fairly easily be cut, hemmed, and grommeted as necessary. This is not the company my buddy worked for, but it looks like these guys are selling them for this purpose. a bit expensive, but they last 5-10 times as long as most plastic tarps.

https://www.billboardvinyls.com/collections/all

I had a friend who used to work for a signage company, and he had a ton of vinyl misprints or demo banners that didn't function as signage anymore. They're actually designed to hold up in sunlight, which the crappy blue ones are not. I got a few of them from him, the sizes are weird but the material can fairly easily be cut, hemmed, and grommeted as necessary. This is not the company my buddy worked for, but it looks like these guys are selling them for this purpose. a bit expensive, but they last 5-10 times as long as most plastic tarps.

https://www.billboardvinyls.com/collections/all
I've seen those advertised, wondered if they were worth the expense

I've seen those advertised, wondered if they were worth the expense
As with everything, that depends on your financial situation and desire for a better functioning product. :) I got mine for free six or seven years ago, but I still use them, especially if I'm going to need to leave them out in weather for longer than a few days.

Over the years I've been buying the COSTCO 2-pack tarps. 12'x18' I think. They are about twice the thickness of the basic brown/green tarps from BiMart. (I use those too to cover my boat. Over the cloth boat cover). They start having them late summer I'd think. I use the costco tarp for covering my fire wood pile. I found the secret to keeping the tarp in good shape longer. I put an old tattered tarp underneath the new one. It cushions the top tarp from tattering on the wood pile edges from the wind. I think they were 2/$25.00-2/$29.00

I've used a lot of different stuff over the years.

For a plastic tarp, I've had good luck with Walmart Heavy Duty.
Standard grade is quite flimsy.

10 mil Visqueen is expensive but better than standard grade (6 mil)
Stego (or Home Depot) 15 mil is rugged stuff but very expensive

Lumber wrap is very good. It's reinforced.
Sometimes I'll save it and re-use it.
It's possible that a lumber yard like Cudahy in Hillsboro might sell you some.

Find a local flatbed trucking outfit, they may have some old ones for sale. Even used ones will last for years. Or find a tarp maker, a lot of times they have remnants left over and can make you some up. Well worth the money. What's the saying, buy once, cry once.

Tarps are temporary until you build a wood shed or repair the hole in your roof. They should not be expected to last years, IMO.

to extend the life of a tarp which covered a load on a trailer / truck bed, use a cargo net over the top to minimize the wind whipping at it.

and agreed with above; Costco's tarps are pretty tough and decent priced.

i used to cover my motorhome and even the custom tyvek impregnated covers only lasted 3-4 years before they began ripping at the corners / tie-downs. At over $300 for those covers, I just went to Costco's tarps and replace each winter.

Tarps are temporary until you build a wood shed or repair the hole in your roof. They should not be expected to last years, IMO.
If SHTF it might take years.

to extend the life of a tarp which covered a load on a trailer / truck bed, use a cargo net over the top to minimize the wind whipping at it.
Good advice

I've had several boats over the years, most kept full-time in the water in San Diego . Sail covers, biminis and full deck/cabin covers. All lasted for many years without leaks or rips. The fabric out lasted the stitching, so I had them re-sewn every 3 years. The sun and salt can be really hard on things in southern marine environment and Sunbrella fabrics really hold-up well.... not saying it's cheap....just good. Stitch with cotton wound polyester thread to maintain water-tight seams, wash often and spray with a week bleach solution to prevent mildew. For longevity use medium to light colors (avoid dark colors and reds if you can). I would think for covering stuff that can chafe, padding with an old canvas tarp would go along way to prevent pre-mature wear (as would keeping the cover tight at all times).

1626466494105.png View attachment 992973

If SHTF it might take years.
If SHTF lasts more than a few months then we have bigger problems to worry about than a hole in our roof.
A standard cheap classic blue tarp will last more than a few seasons under UV, and cheap enough to put another one over the old one if needed. Years ago I had an old cheap metal shed roof rusting out with holes, wasnt ready to replace it yet so I put a blue tarp over it, held all winter but degraded by next summer. I put another one right over the top of the old one, lasted another year until I was ready to build a real shed.

I've had several boats over the years, most kept full-time in the water in San Diego . Sail covers, biminis and full deck/cabin covers. All lasted for many years without leaks or rips. The fabric out lasted the stitching, so I had them re-sewn every 3 years. The sun and salt can be really hard on things in southern marine environment and Sunbrella fabrics really hold-up well.... not saying it's cheap....just good. Stitch with cotton wound polyester thread to maintain water-tight seams, wash often and spray with a week bleach solution to prevent mildew. For longevity use medium to light colors (avoid dark colors and reds if you can). I would think for covering stuff that can chafe, padding with an old canvas tarp would go along way to prevent pre-mature wear (as would keeping the cover tight at all times).

View attachment 992972View attachment 992973
Sunbrella ?

Poly tarps and nylon products like nylon rope are extremely UV sensitive and have short lives outside. Black plastic sold in stores like Home Depot last a lot longer than clears in my experience but get hot under. Silver colored degrade extra fast too for some reason. Have you ever noticed how silver paint on cars is degraded? If you could find some white plastic like they wrap lumber in for long hauling it should last a fairly long time and stay cool. Otherwise best to go with a coated membrane.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top