JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have some good shooting spots that don't require 4x4? Also what's open right now with all the fire warnings?
Oregon State Forest lands are open and Mt Hood Nat Forest is closed to shooting. In WA, all state DNR lands and WDFW lands are closed. All because of the potential for fire. Not a good idea to shoot in the standard dispersed sites around the forests because of the dry tinder, grass, stumps & logs all over.

However, there are a couple spots that are pretty fire safe... Tillamook State Forest at North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes and the Beaver Dam Rock Quarry (Browns Camp Pit). Come join us at the cleanup next Sat, the 25th, at Beaver Dam Quarry and we'll fill you in on some spots.

If you go, it's required to take fire prevention gear (water & shovel or fire extinguisher & shovel). Clean up is also required by law. Lots of talk about this stuff throughout this forum.

Bill

Are there any spots near Pacific City where I can teach my son to shoot a 22? There looks like a lot of Forest Service property nearby, but I know a lot of roads are closed or overgrown. I need to be able to get there in a mini-van...without it getting all scratched up or high-centered. My wife would kill me for scratching her urban assault vehicle.

Are there any spots near Pacific City where I can teach my son to shoot a 22? There looks like a lot of Forest Service property nearby, but I know a lot of roads are closed or overgrown. I need to be able to get there in a mini-van...without it getting all scratched up or high-centered. My wife would kill me for scratching her urban assault vehicle.

Google Maps

this looks like it COULD work. I have never been there, I do not know if there is a safe backdrop, or what the road conditions are, but it looks like a spot where others shoot. There is also another clearing up NF15 a ways by Gauldy Ridge.

These spots would have to be checked out to see whether or not they are safe, but google maps satellite views are where I do a lot of initial scouting. Usually very big clearings are logging land where you should not shoot. Also, if a gravel pit/quarry looks really nice on a satellite image, its probably active and not good for shooting either. Sometimes you can even see the equipment.

Since I do not have permission to post a thread in the Oregon shooting forum, I am looking for shooting spots near Medford, Oregon. I usually shoot at 100-600 yards and I really want to shoot 1,000. Our only rifle range has a 1,000 yard area but it is only open about 2 days a YEAR, mainly for competitions. They literally have to shut down a highway in order to use it. So I shooy the 600 yard range (open Tues & Thurs every week at 9:30am) it gets boring, I want to shoot farther.

I am looking for both ranges and outdoor areas. I don't mind a little hike and I love nature. I know there is a range in Ashland and in Grants Pass, but I am not a member for either, and saving money is always a plus. If I go out of my way for a range I am looking for a 1,000 yard area.

For shooting outside anything will do. 100 yards, 400 yards, 700 yards, anything, as long as it is a SAFE area to shoot.

I used to shoot around Anderson Creek between Medford and Phoenix but I just couldn't find the right spot. Always too short of a shooting area and no real born/backstop.

Bah humbug.

I'm headed to the rock pit off Pittsburg rd in St. Helens tomorrow if anyone wants to go.
Looks good for 100 maybe 200 yds. Possibly longer in the clearcuts depending on backstops.
45.893450, -123.046202

Since I do not have permission to post a thread in the Oregon shooting forum, I am looking for shooting spots near Medford, Oregon. I usually shoot at 100-600 yards and I really want to shoot 1,000. Our only rifle range has a 1,000 yard area but it is only open about 2 days a YEAR, mainly for competitions. They literally have to shut down a highway in order to use it. So I shooy the 600 yard range (open Tues & Thurs every week at 9:30am) it gets boring, I want to shoot farther.

I am looking for both ranges and outdoor areas. I don't mind a little hike and I love nature. I know there is a range in Ashland and in Grants Pass, but I am not a member for either, and saving money is always a plus. If I go out of my way for a range I am looking for a 1,000 yard area.

For shooting outside anything will do. 100 yards, 400 yards, 700 yards, anything, as long as it is a SAFE area to shoot.

I used to shoot around Anderson Creek between Medford and Phoenix but I just couldn't find the right spot. Always too short of a shooting area and no real born/backstop.

Bah humbug.

I assume the tues & thurs 600yd is at Jackson County Shooting complex on Kershaw.

Do they setup steel plates? Or do they use the pits and paper?

Thanks!

Does anyone know of a smaller spot maybe just outside forest grove where I can shoot a mag or two tjrough a pistol to try it out? The rockpit is a hour away from me and I'm looking for a spot a little closer/less crowded just to do a testfire! I also do t have an offroad vehicle. You can PM me if its secret, I have nobody to tell anyways.

I'm headed to the rock pit off Pittsburg rd in St. Helens tomorrow if anyone wants to go.
Looks good for 100 maybe 200 yds. Possibly longer in the clearcuts depending on backstops.
45.893450, -123.046202

Thanks for the coordinates on this place; I live in St Helens and have heard of this spot, tried to find it using Google maps and was WAY off from what I thought. Much appreciated!!!

45.893450, -123.046202

I know this might come across as silly, since I would be going there armed... Is it safe to SUV camp there? Do some shooting and spend night checking out the stars?

I've been up there to see the Perseid Meteor Showers, because the sky is very dark and it's quiet, unlike Stub Stewart. So then I tried SUV camping at the North Fork Wolf Creek site. S
omeone showed up in a car about 11pm and started walking around with flashlights. I guess they were collecting brass. It freaked out my kid and I wasn't too happy with them. I set my SUV's alarm which flashed all my lights but this couple was still too curious for my taste. My kid was getting nervous so I bailed out. Even though I had multiple guns, I wasn't looking for trouble and it was safest to step away.

I know this might come across as silly, since I would be going there armed... Is it safe to SUV camp there? Do some shooting and spend night checking out the stars?

I've been up there to see the Perseid Meteor Showers, because the sky is very dark and it's quiet, unlike Stub Stewart. So then I tried SUV camping at the North Fork Wolf Creek site. S
omeone showed up in a car about 11pm and started walking around with flashlights. I guess they were collecting brass. It freaked out my kid and I wasn't too happy with them. I set my SUV's alarm which flashed all my lights but this couple was still too curious for my taste. My kid was getting nervous so I bailed out. Even though I had multiple guns, I wasn't looking for trouble and it was safest to step away.
Ha! Same thing happened to @Reno and I when we camped there, at lane 3, the night before a cleanup. Tweekers arrived in the dark hours of the morning and were picking up brass. We walked out to the road, packin heat, and stood and watched them but they had their heads to the ground with flashlights, so, we weren't that concerned.

Considering the nighttime party'ers at gravel pits, I would think your best bet is to camp out a little ways away from a shooting area. Might have a little more peace and quiet.

here's a photo of a special outdoor shooting spot that doesn't require a 4x4 to reach: Special offer to 1st correct ID of location:

20190706_081159_resized.jpg

here's 2nd photo ID opportunity 20190706_081205_resized.jpg

Contact me here via PM to confirm details if you win.

Last Edited:
Camelfilter in for the win.....

this is part of the new 200 yard line on the main rifle range.

I haven't tried 'em out yet, that smallest one on the right is a just about 2".
Probably I could expect to make that big one sing a few times. The little ones....who knows????;)

Does anyone know a good spot to go shooting outside of La Pine? Would have maybe a group of 8-10
I hear a lot of shooting goes on down China Hat Rd and at Coyote Butte areas. Most of what I hear is conflict! Neighbors complaining about everything, trail riders and hikers complaining too. So, if you go to the China Hat Rd area, plan to go way out and away from the trails and neighbors.

COSSA is a great public range (non-profit) that doesn't charge an arm and a leg but I've never been there either. Same with Redmond Rod and Gun.

If you live down there, it might be worth checking out the Zimmerman Pit, just NW of Sisters. Again, I haven't been there but USFS says it's a popular shooting place that needs some volunteer cleanup help, so, I've scheduled a cleanup for Aug 24th. By the looks of it on Google Earth, it looks like a large, nice cinder cone pit. If you go there, take some photos and send them to me. Here's the link to the cleanup event with the map link: Aug 24, '19 Central Oregon Cleanup

Hope you can join us at the cleanup! Bring your buds! We'll do some shooting after lunch and prizes.

Bill
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/aug-24-19-central-oregon-cleanup.304829/#post-2310619

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top