JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like hats. Not caps, as in the baseball variety, but good, broad brimmed hats that keep the sun and rain off. Boonie, trapper, safari, anything that is big enough to keep me out of all the weather.

I have quite a few, but they all have the same problem; because they are worn daily, rain or shine, they start getting a little funky around the sweatband. Most of them are leather or oilcloth, and so you cannot just toss them in the wash to fix the issue. I have tried steam wand cleaning, but that does not actually get the grime out. I have looked for companies that make hats with removable, washable liners, but have not had a lot of luck finding any. I have tried separate sweatbands, but that just gets in the way and makes hat wearing awkward. I have found no suitable answer, save to just retire the hat after a year or so. I do not really like that solution, especially for the hats I really like.

Was wondering if anyone else has this problem with daily use hats and how you clean them, or if anyone who has any recommendations for brands that are easy to clean but still comfortable, durable and weatherproof.

Shelta hats are great. Not cheap. But great. And they're completely amphibious.

The "Seahawk" is their most popular model and is made in a Boonie profile. They have some videos on how to clean and care for it.

But...I don't know how they hold up and wash...because mine hasn't gotten to the point yet where I need to wash it. It's very well made, however, so I suspect it will hold up just fine. How clean it will get is another question. Sweat is pretty hard on fabrics.

But I've had really good luck with "Hat Saver"...the second link. And I used it on my Shelta hat when I got it. So hopefully it cleans up fine when I get to that point.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top