JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This was my other thought. These Belgian's are what animal control officers use to train for bear encounters. They would literally rather die than give up, or so ive been told. Excellent protectors. Have no idea about temperment though but im sure others in addition to deacon can chime in.

my understanding is that there are two ways these dogs are bred. Either purebred or German shepherd mix. My cousin has a mix like that and it's a little taller and thicker than a standard German shepherd. But a beautiful looking dog. Love them. These are him during the summer

B785BBE1-440E-4C28-955E-BA8AD2A57EC0.jpeg BDA4E8B2-592F-4BA7-8DDC-E1BA9747FD6E.jpeg FC7AE20F-14D1-4844-B1B9-D32384EDA29C.jpeg

Malinoise are fantastic dogs when trained correctly, BUT, I that training needs to start from the pups first second home and continue for years after. They are very intelligent, can learn anything you could want, and they are super security dogs as long as the fight is 1 on 1! Against a pack, a Smart Malinator will run while defending himself until he has gained space, then go in the offensive until told to stop, or there is no more threat! We adopted a 6 month old Malinator Mix ( all Malinoise are a mix, there is no such thing as a pure bread) and this one has about 30% long hair GSD in him. He is 90 pounds of fur missile, super smart and great with little kids but he is still training so he can be ever better! Training is pretty easy, but it needs to be constant, consistent, and focused! Like I said, you can train them to do anything, but they can be thick headed, so it's going to be a challenge and it's going to take time, lots of time!

Awesome dogs though! :s0155:

I've had three German Shepherd Dogs in my life. Have an 11 month old female right now. Wouldn't have any other breed.

Smart. Highly trainable. Protective but also have a fun goofy side. Great with kids. My previous grew up with small kids pulling his fur, putting funny costumes on him, etc. and was totally mellow about it.

You should take any dog you have through training.

They NEED exercise but as long as they get a good run (or two) a day or playing ball, etc. they are mellow. They can be land sharks for the first few months - just mouthy/nippy, but nearly all puppies are like that.

Only downside is they shed, but that's not unique to the breed.

Well, the other downside is that they can be rather spend to get one. A quality breeder is important - I would not buy off craigslist. The germanshephards.com forum is a good place to start.

No dog can protect himself against a pack of coyotes. I would never let a dog outside unattended (i.e., I'd never just open the door and let the dog run around for hours without someone to watch).

So we are going a different route. My wife's cousin breeds Pyrenees and they have a ten week old. Thing is my wife is like in love with her. So, from the advice of having two dogs when they are outside we are getting one now and then they're having another litter in a couple months and we'll get a second from that litter. She said Pyrenees love being outside and they love being around other animals because it gives them stuff to protect. Great with animals, great on big property, and very friendly all around. Meet Hope!

965565A9-67BE-4DF5-A731-57506D120209.jpeg 9D538EE8-88C2-4E2D-99D5-803009AD51F8.jpeg

So we are going a different route. My wife's cousin breeds Pyrenees and they have a ten week old. Thing is my wife is like in love with her. So, from the advice of having two dogs when they are outside we are getting one now and then they're having another litter in a couple months and we'll get a second from that litter. She said Pyrenees love being outside and they love being around other animals because it gives them stuff to protect. Great with animals, great on big property, and very friendly all around. Meet Hope!

View attachment 848565 View attachment 848566
She's really cute. Please tell me the next one will be Faith or Charity, not Change. :D :s0087:

Most any dog is a "good dog".

The problems arise when their ownership are a-holes.
If it were me I'd make sure the ownership was vetted first, then go from there.

Please don't interpret this as a personal attack. As a dog lover first and human lover second. My lifetime of observations between dogs and humans have helped me reach the above conclusion.

If not a Pit Bull, which have always in my experience been big slobbery babies even if at one point were trained to be otherwise, adopt a mutt. The best dogs I ever had were mixed breed dogs that were dumped up on Larch above Crown point, one an Akita/Pit female and the other was an Aussie/German Pointer female. Heidi and Lupé. Miss those pups.

Last Edited:
If not a Pit Bull, which have always in my experience been big slobbery babies even if at one point we're trained to be otherwise, adopt a mutt. The best dogs I ever had were mixed breed dogs that were dumped up on Larch above Crown point, one an Akita/Pit female and the other was an Aussie/German Pointer female. Heidi and Lupé. Miss those pups.
My favorite dog ever was a pound dog. Shepherd/Collie/Husky/Whatever. Great dog. Full of love and energy and protective when needed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top