JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, wanting some advice. I'm really wanting to get a dog for the kids. We have four kids ages 4 through 11. We have ten acres of pretty much flat open field in the country. I don't the kids care what type of dog since it'll be their first dog, but I want a medium to large size dog. It will be an outside dog even though I'm going to build a pretty legit insulated dog house. There are coyotes out here and that's why I want a big dog not a small one. I don't want an aggressive dog. Just one that is protective, I can train to know the property boundaries and will be good with kids. Thoughts?

Best dog I've ever has was a German Shepard / Husky mix from the pound.
Sheba was great with kids and the critters that we had.
She was a fun dog with strong personality.
Andy

\ Our House 03NOV01 - 57.jpg

I grew up with outside dogs. I could not imagine my wife tolerating this situation now. The dog would be moved inside about .000001 minutes into the first 'cold' evening, given treats and a nice comfy bed on the couch of their choosing.

Honestly if you are going to spend the time, it shouldn't matter what you get. Find one that loves you.

Labs are great and shepherds may a little too aggressive, and they both suffer from dysplasia.
Just a thought...
1616337613897.png

I'm no longer a dog person. Had a Doberman from a pup, to 13 YO. The Corgi's that I've met over the years are some of the neatest dogs you'll ever meet.

Cant beat a German Shephard for protection. Golden Retrievers are great too but their longish coat can be a hassle.
Just my $0.02 cents
German Shepherd. Protected my kids, my home and my car. Get it young and teach the kids to care for it. You want the dog to think it's one of them. Pack mentality.

Thanks so much everyone! I've honestly been thinking German Shepard for a while. I don't mind the high energy, it'll be good for the kids since they're all high energy. My cousin has a Shepard/ malamois mix and he said if he breeds him he'll give me a puppy. We'll see. I was doing a job for a customer in St Helens and she had a 4yr old cataboula leopard dog/Anatolian mix. Big dog. Friendly. Not aggressive. I'm talking to them right now because they may have to rehome him and I told her I'm seriously open to taking the dog because we have the space and the people to love him.

Ok and if timing couldn't be any more perfect, a big coyote was just sniffing around our well house about fifty feet from our house. And he was big! I definitely want a bigger dog

If you want a dog that is super smart (enough to get in trouble), never listens, does what he pleases, barks at every noise or animal that is in "his yard", insists on sleeping in your bed, is a picky eater, gets anxiety and pukes on the carpet and thinks its a human, then get a rat terrier....

All kidding aside, probably not big enough for you, but they are a helluva farm dog and love to hunt. There won't be a rabbit, squirrel or racoon in 5 miles of the house.... They are also great with kids. If you had a couple they are great pack hunters, but on their own, a coyote would most likely be too much, not to mention a pack of coyotes....

A buddy of mine has a Rhodesian Ridgeback and says he does a great job of keeping the coyotes away.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Can't beat a Golden retriever. I didn't realize how amazing they were until we dog sat several times for my SIL and her 2 year old Golden was such a sweet heart.

GSD are great but I worry about the long term expectancy and health.

The only dog I've had as an adult is a mutt from the pound.
Black lab, great dane, boxer, and pitbull.
She is smart as heck, and great family dog.

Sadly she's 13 and has oral cancer now. So she gets all the treats she wants.

I'm not an expert but I've heard great things about the Australia Cattle dog breed. Bred for managing cattle in the Outback, these dogs have to protect their humans and their cattle from predators such as dingos (Australia's version of our coyote, except meaner). When I was living in Australia, I would sometimes hear about the bravery of these dogs, choosing to give up their life fighting for their owners rather than back down from superior numbers of dingos.

The bonus about this type of dog is also that their fur coat is waterproof, which is nice for PNW region as we get quite a lot of rain.

If you want a dog that is super smart (enough to get in trouble), never listens, does what he pleases, barks at every noise or animal that is in "his yard", insists on sleeping in your bed, is a picky eater, gets anxiety and pukes on the carpet and thinks its a human, then get a rat terrier....

All kidding aside, probably not big enough for you, but they are a helluva farm dog and love to hunt. There won't be a rabbit, squirrel or racoon in 5 miles of the house.... They are also great with kids. If you had a couple they are great pack hunters, but on their own, a coyote would most likely be too much, not to mention a pack of coyotes....

A buddy of mine has a Rhodesian Ridgeback and says he does a great job of keeping the coyotes away.

Good luck and let us know what you get!
A Coyote will make short work of that Rat Terrier. 'Yotes are much smarter than your garden variety dog and will pack hunt given the chance and will shred a Rat Terrier to pieces. Ive got a Fox Terrier which is 20 lbs of solid muscle with a heavy prey instinct and I wouldnt let him out around Coyotes on a bet.

e1acjt-jpg.707287

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top