JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was able to pick up a decent Winchester 70 in .270 wsm without a scope. I'll admit I know little to nothing about what constitutes a good quality scope other than a name recognition, so....

I could use some suggestions. I've heard some scopes are better for certain calibers (although I have no experience to draw from) but I'd like a good starter scope. I figure I'd like to start target shooting with it up to say 500 yards (not immediately!) And let's say my budget on this would be < $300.00 and preferably a little over $200.

So drop your suggestions and comments and give me ideas.

Thanks to all in advance!!

Not necessarily the end all be all, but in 55 years of scopes, I have never once been dissatisfied with Leupold's. All told, 8 now.
Others I've had were Weaver, Burris, Vortex, Nikon, Westernfield, Bushnell, and Simmons, all those came on rifles I acquired. Some were Ok some not but all went to Leupold if I kept the rifle.
Not to disparage you, so maybe a used scope may be possible, but Most scopes I've seen today in the low price (but not bottom) range function pretty dang well in daylight, 300 yards and less.
For hunting; Low light, heavy clouds, rain, sun up and sun down is where the party separates from one another, also, the crispness or lack of at the edges of vision manifest themselves when trying to find the game you just saw, both things usually given little attention to when target shooting.
Involved dial up stuff and trick reticles shine at their best when snipering, targeting or even sheep or antelope hunting, things you have time to fiddle around, on the other hand, for a good general hunting scope its mostly useless. While not my cup of tea, those things are something you should read up on for the target mode, for re-zero and precision dialups are a useful wonderment, and some even have cell phone compatibility for computer assist tweaking of long range shots.
But personally, I don't see any scope @ your price range for 500 yards, or plus, ever being anything satisfying.
That opine comes less from having high standards, than having hands and eyeballs on many different scopes, admittedly not so recently.
. And, if the long range shooting gets you in its grip, you'll quickly be looking to sell it and go for better.
Scopes are one item you really do need to invest in. Both research time and money.
I'm sure many here have had scopes that cost way more than the rifle they sit on. For that I'm guilty and unapologetically glad of my choice..
For your range of shooting I'm thinking more like 5 to 9 hundred for starters.
Lack of brick and mortar stores along with the proliferation of scopes available will make your decisions more difficult notwithstanding the tight budget. lots of us been there too, and definitely relate!
Good luck with your search.
It won't be long before you are asking the same question on a good low cost spotting scope.
Believe me, Wipe that notion out of your head right now, Good, low cost, and spotting scope, are incompatible.

Given your budget, I can suggest a very budget friendly option: a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42. The only downsides are the old school parallax adjustment on the front of the scope instead of the current side focus scopes, and that the entire eyepiece rotates when you change the power . But, you can't beat the value: (for less than $160 plus shipping)
I have a number of these in various power ranges and they compare closely to Leupold VX-2's at less than half the cost.

And let's say my budget on this would be < $300.00 and preferably a little over $200.
Leupold Freedom series is just within your budget and will last a lifetime of hunting and target shooting.
this one even has their CDS dial if you want to get into longer range shooting will be a useful feature.

I'd say a 3-9x40 or 50. Leupold makes quality light weight optics and I'd start there if it's for hunting.

If it's for shooting long distance, I'd recommend a 4-16x50 or larger. There are quite a few good options these days in that realm at reasonable prices. If sticking to a budget, look at Arken optics. Their SH4 4-16x50 is a very nice scope.

Edit: Arken still has their 30% off going on with code "freedom" takes their SH4 4-16x50 down to $290.49 shipped.

Last Edited:
I have a Redfield (Leupold's economy scope) It works okay, I do wish I spent more. I have a un-mounted Vortex made for a AR, calibrated for .223 I think it will be okay. Two Leupold's and they are good. and my best is a $1000 Trijicon. I think the Redfield is close to your specs.

If you can be happy with shooting to 300 yds or less, you will find something that will work. DR
At the risk of misinterpreting, I took this as meaning a good scope in the OP's price range will limit him to shots at 300 yards (or thereabouts).

IF I understood this correctly, I believe it is the first time I've ever seen finances postulated as a governing factor to long range performance.

I'm a Leupold fan, and have not had a single Leupy that I did not like. Currently have six of them. However, when putting scopes on many more rifles than that, budget has dictated that I use other brands. Most scopes can do the job, but there's a world of difference between performance and quality in the budget barrel. Simply put, most of them suck.
In the budget barrel, I have found two gems and have been very satisfied by my purchase and their performance.

If weight is a concern, I find the following scope (on my 7mm/08) equivalent to my brother's VX3i at ~1/2 the cost. 15oz.​
If you want to get into nicer optics, I have a Meopta Optika 6 that gives my Leupold Mark 4 a run for ~1/2 the money. Heavy at 30oz.​

Last Edited:
I'm a Leupold fan, and have not had a single Leupy that I did not like. Currently have six of them. However, when putting scopes on many more rifles than that, budget has dictated that I use other brands. Most scopes can do the job, but there's a world of difference between performance and quality in the budget barrel. Simply put, most of them suck.
In the budget barrel, I have found two gems and have been very satisfied by my purchase and their performance.

If weight is a concern, I find the following scope (on my 7mm/08) equivalent to my brother's VX3i at ~1/2 the cost. 15oz.​
If you want to get into nicer optics, I have a Meopta Optika 6 that gives my Leupold Mark 4 a run for the money. Heavy at 30oz.​
I too made the happy discovery of Burris' Fullfield line. Striking image quality and sturdiness. Leupold's ill-advised gutting of their product line sent me there.

At the risk of misinterpreting, I took this as meaning a good scope in the OP's price range will limit him to shots at 300 yards (or thereabouts).

IF I understood this correctly, I believe it is the first time I've ever seen finances postulated as a governing factor to long range performance.
That's the problem with limited experience which is why I posed the question. Learned more here than I can just reading specs which aren't a substitute for real world experience.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top