JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found a helluva deal ( I think ) on a Burris 4.5-14x42 for $200. Looks like I know where I'm going!
Which one? Just a heads up, the new Fullfield IV's are made in China. I would trust the older Fullfield E1 and the even older Fullfield II's more, since they were both assembled in the Philippines. (Like the one I linked to in post #5 for less than $160 from a solid vendor). :D

At the risk of misinterpreting, I took this as meaning a good scope in the OP's price range will limit him to shots at 300 yards (or thereabouts).

IF I understood this correctly, I believe it is the first time I've ever seen finances postulated as a governing factor to long range performance.
It's my own experience that budget scopes have a little error built into them. just a little wider tolerance, that as you increase the distance becomes more and more evident.
also the lower priced scopes don't use the same high quality lenses and coatings.
At 100 yds in bright conditions, it doesn't show up much, At 200 yds it begins to show, and by 300 yds it becomes real evident.
At 300 yds comparing a budget scope to a high end you will see a lot more detail, the better lenses and coatings will better resolve the image.
How many budget scopes can resolve a 22 cal bullet hole in a target at 300 yds? But look through a high end scope and you will be surprised.
There is a saying in racing " how fast can you afford to go?" Precision costs money to produce.

But if you are an average hunter/shooter, how often do you shoot past 300 yds?
At 300 yds with a budget scope I can probably see the target, But can I see the details of the bullseye? For most hunter/shooters this is not even an issue.
If the OP is going to be doing most of his shooting at less than 300 yds it probably is not going to be an issue for him either. DR

Leupold 3x-9x will do everything you want to do forever. (And in your price range.)
This. DO NOT scrimp on the glass! You can put a great scope on an iffy rifle and make it shoot up to it's potential. If, however, you put a cheapazz scope on a great rifle (and the Model 70 is a great rifle) then you'll just get mad at the gun for shooting poorly. $200 is bottom of the barrel for decent glass. If you have to save up for the good stuff even if you go with a used Leupold VX-III you'll be money ahead.
Edited to add...
Don't scrimp on your mounts either! A great scope on a great rifle that is mounted in poopity rings will also add to your frustration factor.

Found a helluva deal ( I think ) on a Burris 4.5-14x42 for $200. Looks like I know where I'm going!
I bought a 223 axis with a 3x9 Fullfield II on it. It has very clear optics. and as a coyote gun it works very well. It resolves small details even in dim light.
Where I hunt in the brush a 100 yd shot would be very long. Most are less than 50 yds. DR

Which one? Just a heads up, the new Fullfield IV's are made in China. I would trust the older Fullfield E1 and the even older Fullfield II's more, since they were both assembled in the Philippines. (Like the one I linked to in post #5 for less than $160 from a solid vendor). :D
A Fullfield II 4.5-14x42

A Fullfield II 4.5-14x42

click on the link. $156.49 + shipping. Leaves you enough of your ~300 budget for a decent mount and some ammo. Otherwise, go pay $300+ for a Leupold 3-9x40 and be content out to 300 yard target shooting. If you really want to extend to 500 down the road you would have appreciated the 14x and AO of the Burris. Your money, your choice. My original .270 WSM Model 70 SuperShadow wears a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with Boone & Crockett reticle. It now resides with my oldest son and he installed a stainless Lilja barrel finished 27". It is a death ray out to 400 yards with Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip handloads. My current Model 70 Ultimate Shadow . 270 WSM wears a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. It is adequate for what I do, but miss the higher magnifIcation of the Leupold.

Last Edited:

click on the link. $156.49 + shipping. Leaves you enough of your ~300 budget for a decent mount and some ammo. Otherwise, go pay $300+ for a Leupold 3-9x40 and be content out to 300 yard target shooting. If you really want to extend to 500 down the road you would have appreciated the 14x and AO of the Burris. Your money, your choice. My original .270 WSM Model 70 SuperShadow wears a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with Boone & Crockett reticle. It now resides with my oldest son and he installed a stainless Lilja barrel finished 27". It is a death ray out to 400 yards with Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tip handloads. My current Model 70 Ultimate Shadow . 270 WSM wears a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. It is adequate for what I do, but miss the higher magnifIcation of the Leupold.
so basically you are saying, "buy the Leupold" right?

It's my own experience that budget scopes have a little error built into them. just a little wider tolerance, that as you increase the distance becomes more and more evident.
also the lower priced scopes don't use the same high quality lenses and coatings.
At 100 yds in bright conditions, it doesn't show up much, At 200 yds it begins to show, and by 300 yds it becomes real evident.
At 300 yds comparing a budget scope to a high end you will see a lot more detail, the better lenses and coatings will better resolve the image.
How many budget scopes can resolve a 22 cal bullet hole in a target at 300 yds? But look through a high end scope and you will be surprised.
There is a saying in racing " how fast can you afford to go?" Precision costs money to produce.

But if you are an average hunter/shooter, how often do you shoot past 300 yds?
At 300 yds with a budget scope I can probably see the target, But can I see the details of the bullseye? For most hunter/shooters this is not even an issue.
If the OP is going to be doing most of his shooting at less than 300 yds it probably is not going to be an issue for him either. DR
It is unclear what is meant by a "budget scope". I am the first to stand with anyone who says you get what you pay for in optics (usually).

A 3 by 9 Gold Ring Leupold in my experience and expenditures is NOT a budget scope by any means. A 3.5x10 is a damn fine scope.
The three by nine is in the OP's price range brand new, and the fancy one is still in his budget if searched for used. (I bought a beautiful one at a gun show in March.)

I would not want to be the deer, elk or antelope at 400 yards away (or more) from a practiced man with a .270 WSM and either of those scopes on top, even in waning light.

Hell, I wouldn't even want to be a Prairie Dog.

If there is something in these scopes that might limit a hunter to being "happy with shooting at 300 yards or less", I sure haven't found it yet.

It is unclear what is meant by a "budget scope". I am the first to stand with anyone who says you get what you pay for in optics (usually).

A 3 by 9 Gold Ring Leupold in my experience and expenditures is NOT a budget scope by any means. A 3.5x10 is a damn fine scope.
The three by nine is in the OP's price range brand new, and the fancy one is still in his budget if searched for used. (I bought a beautiful one at a gun show in March.)

I would not want to be the deer, elk or antelope at 400 yards away (or more) from a practiced man with a .270 WSM and either of those scopes on top, even in waning light.

Hell, I wouldn't even want to be a Prairie Dog.

If there is something in these scopes that might limit a hunter to being "happy with shooting at 300 yards or less", I sure haven't found it yet.
The OPs stated use was "Target shooting". If you can be happy with just seeing the target, Well OK. But beyond 300 yds you will not see any detail of the target. Most deer hunters are happy with a hit anywhere in an 8" vital zone. Most target shooters loose points for every bit they are out of the Bullseye.
My own deer rifle wears a 6X Weaver fixed scope, and yes I can hit a deer sized target at 400 yds.
Its unlikely I could pick which ribs to put that bullet between with that scope.
But its a light weight scope ,with a good field of view, and good clear optics.
For me it has been the right tool for its job. But it is not a target scope, and would be a poor choice for one!
This is an area where the end use will determine the right scope. DR

First I would recommend a First Focal reticle. Next research the best warranties, there are brands like Leupold, Burris, Vortex, Athlon that offer a lifetime warranty for their scopes. Then, based on your budget and the distance you want to shoot, you should look on opticsplannet.com to find a scope. If you set on a scope, search that specific scope on other sites like eurooptic, scopelist, amazon or other small companies. If you decide to buy used be aware that there are counterfeit scopes from Leupold, Vortex, Zeiss, Leica and other brands on the market and if you have any warranty problems you can't get them serviced.
Athlon and Burris have the best prices lately but you can always find good deals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top