Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good AR red dot for under $150?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by clearconscience, Aug 13, 2012.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Just bought a new AR and I want to get a decent red dot for around $150, any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Vortex Strikefire goes for around $169 online, but you can find deals occasionally under $150.

3. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Primary Arms Micro.

july12build01.jpg

4. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

I really like the vortex strikefire but the primary arms red dot is smaller and lighter for the price. I think there might be a deal on the strikefire right now if you use this deal:
    http://www.northwestfirearms.com/gr...tate-armory-vortex-strikefire-$50-00-off.html

The vortex has the red and green dot or only one color depending on what you want. If i didn't have bad eyes i would totally get just the micro red dot from primary arms.

5. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

+1 for the PA micro dot. Read some of the reviews online. Compared to the aimpoint t-1 it does well, but when you factor in what the primary arms costs, it does amazing.

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I would change the title to "An OK red dot for under $150" since that's about what I expect of any optics under $150
    I have a TruGlo that isn't bad.I did mount that on my Buckmark though.
    And I bought on of those chinese EoTec knock offs,that is at the local gun store for sale.
    I would at least go for or look at, the above mentioned Vortex,as they are pretty good for the money

7. krkruse

krkruse Salem area Active Member

I got the Vortex strikefire, and its pretty good. holds a zero bright, and its easy to use/ sight on.
    Its worth the $

8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I just saw Palmetto state has the vortex strikefire on special with free magpul rear sight for $179.

I'm going to order one this week

9. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

Strikefire is the way to go. Have one and I really like it. Also they have their own 3x flip to side magnifier and mount for only $250 that goes with it. Way cheaper than any other combo and probably just as well for most applications.

10. Steve06

Steve06 Oregon Active Member

Vortex Strikefire (red dot only) is a bargain and has one of the best guarantees in the industry.

11. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I have a Strikefire on my 300 AAC BKL SBR. Got it in a bundle deal with fellow NWFA member. No complains. I've heard rumors of losing zero. Not me.

12. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

First sight that came to my head when reading the title is vortex strikefire and then noticed everyone said pretty much the same thing. Another great idea is finding something used. Ive seen some good deals for 100 or less like a burris fastfire 2, Barska IR M16 electro sight red dot, and I purchased an eotech clone off ebay several years ago and it is well made and holds zero on a sks with over 1,000 rounds.

The Barska used to be more expensive but sells for under $100 shipped on Amazon now - http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-1x30-Electro-Sight-Riflescope/dp/B001JJCHUM.

I used to use it on my AR15 before picking up an eotech from a friend for a really good deal. Now it is used on my M&P 15-22 and I absolutely love it.

13. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

+1 if it can live here:

AKPR.png

It'll do fine on an AR.

I ran one on that AK for almost three years worth of matches, held up just fine. Is it an Aimpoint? No. But with the money saved you can almost build another AR.

For a "light use/plinker" they are perfect.

14. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you insist on the "good" part, m'fraid such a thing does not exist.

Look for a used Aimpoint Comp or Pro. If "crappy," or "cheap," or "sub-standard," are acceptable, see above.

;-)

15. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

S.P.O.T.

16. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

This cracks me up....for two reasons.

1. I would lay odds you've never used one, and just spouting off because "it's not an Aimpoint"

2. Everyone's definition of "good" is different.

PA dot's aren't expensive, but they aren't "cheap". They hold zero, take abuse and just plain work. Are we comparing it to an Aimpoint? LOL, no, not even close. The glass isn't as clear, battery life is a joke in comparison and you can run an Aimpoint over with a tank and it will still work. What they will do is work just fine for 99% of the internet commandos that are on this board and only shoot during the summer at broken TVs @ 25 yards up at Memaloose.

I used one of their dots on my SLR as a trial before I went to a T1 Aimpoint...well, I couldn't kill the PA dot, so it never got replaced.

17. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

Primary Arms M3 & you can couple it with the Vortex 3X magnifier (comes with flip out to the side mount). Doesn't have any problems even with larger bores like .458 SOCOM. Inexpensive & works excellent + long battery life for what they are.

Rock River .458 SOCOM SBR Barnes Triple Shock TSX 250 gr HP - YouTube

18. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Primary Arms is a great piece for the money. Its no aimpoint but far nicer then most of the other cheap dots.

19. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

I'm using an el-cheapo Walther PS-22. Yea, it's designed for a 22LR ar-15...holds it's zero just fine. The mount is not the greatest, but with a little bit of blue loc-tite, it's been great. With a $150 budget, you can do much better.

I shoot 55gr .223/5.56 with it.

20. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member