Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gold bead front sights?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by netsecsys, Nov 1, 2010.

1. netsecsys

netsecsys near: Bellingham, WA Active Member

So, maybe I am getting old(er) but I am not to keen on daytime target acquisition with the trijicon night sights on my 1911. Been looking at going with a gold bead front sight. Not a big fan of fiber optics (aka: a Lucite rod...)

Any opinions/pics/experience with gold dot front sights?

Thanks!

- Netsecsys
    Semper Fi

2. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

I had a Novak LW Commander that had the gold bead and I liked it.

They are too pricey for me though and most are for 1911 if not all?

A popular "old man" SP is the XS small dot (not trit) and the 10-8 ball cut rear

3. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I have a gold dot front sight on my S&W 325 TR and I like it. Works well for my bifocal eyes. The XS sights work great too and I have them on a couple Glocks. I once had a Makarov front sight ground off and replaced with a gold shotgun bead. Worked pretty well with my homemade express rear sight.

4. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

While you are waiting to decide what to buy, put a coat of white typewriter correction fluid ("white-out") on the front sight. It is brilliant white that absorbs any available light, and really grabs the old eye! If you don't like it, it comes right off with any solvent. I DARE you to give it a try.......................elsullo :thumbup:

5. netsecsys

netsecsys near: Bellingham, WA Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the white-out method first before moving on. I have heard a lot of praise for the gold (real) dot front sight but will weigh my options before deciding. Thanks again.

6. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Just got my gold bead front sight from novak, gotta say, its worth it, picks up a little light and its bright as day, I want bill 325 tr, clint smith loves gold bead front sights cause you don't need much light to see'em.