JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All the Glock haters are going to be all over this, just like they were when the Gen 4 guns came out, and had initial introduction issues. Glock will straighten this out, just like they did then. The Glock 42 will become a best seller, just like the rest of the line. And again, as usual, the Glock haters will search futilely for something, anything, to discredit it. Same song, different dance.

All the Glock haters are going to be all over this, just like they were when the Gen 4 guns came out, and had initial introduction issues. Glock will straighten this out, just like they did then. The Glock 42 will become a best seller, just like the rest of the line. And again, as usual, the Glock haters will search futilely for something, anything, to discredit it. Same song, different dance.

i own a glock 17, great gun.

glock 42, not so much.

you'd think glock would have learned from the gen 4 fiasco. apparently not.

Exactly. They didn't CARE to learn, and there's no excuse for putting something like this out. Glock, Sig, Taurus, or Hi Point.....if they are gonna put a new gun out, then make damn sure it works! This mentality that "oh well....they'll get it fixed eventually" is pure garbage. Somebody give me just ONE good reason why these companies can't get new models right, without malfunctions, and recalls, and all that BS? They've built hundreds of thousands of guns, maybe millions....what's their valid reason for screwing it up?

Somebody give me just ONE good reason why these companies can't get new models right, without malfunctions, and recalls, and all that BS? They've built hundreds of thousands of guns, maybe millions....what's their valid reason for screwing it up?

You mean the way Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, have built hundreds of thousands of cars, maybe millions, and never had a recall?

That's what I was gonna say; a gun is a few pieces, cars are thousands of pieces, miles and miles of wiring, computer chips, and to compare the two is just a bad example.
A gun is made to protect a life, and sometimes it doesn't seem these manufacturers take that very seriously at all. They could spend time developing and testing new guns, and most of them don't....obviously Glock didn't. They care only about getting it half-assed enough to get it on the market...nothing else matters.

I'll ask again. How many Glock 42's are defective? 1%? 10%? More? Less?

Who knows and who cares ?
If the one on my hip doesn't work, then I don't give much of a hoot about how well ll the others are doing.
There's enough concern amongst actual owners to merit the conversation, especially as the OP has had his back to Glock and it still doesn't work. I would like one, but I'll wait for a later iteration as it would be my backup gun for when things have gone truly Tango Uniform and I don't have use of my primary pistol....

And I currently enjoy 3 Glocks......

Who knows and who cares ?

You're talking about ONE pistol. No gun is produced at a 100% non failure rate. Glock produces literally MILLIONS of semi auto pistols. They have a great reputation for reliability. All this pissing and moaning is over what? How many guns? Most likely very few. I can go on any gun forum and find brand name failure. The question is HOW MANY? Or better, what percentage of the total number sold? When you calculate that out, Glock's percentages are better than most others.

Look at how many recalls Ruger has had compared to Glock. Look at how many ammunition recalls there have been in the last couple of years alone. I have 6 Glocks, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another, a Model 42 included. My chances of getting a "bad" pistol are slim at best, to almost non existent in fact. Especially when they are compared to the rest out there. The bottom line is there are millions of Glock pistols defending life and limb. They do a damn good job of it. If you're going to "bet your life" on a weapon, you would be very hard pressed to find a better one than Glock. That is a fact.

bottom line, glock screwed up

but just like apple can slap their label on a turd and endless drooling fanbois will buy it, same with the glock 42. just because droves of sheep buy a product doesn't make it a good product.

yeah, kinda baffled why he made that comparison at all. it doesn't make any sense.

Then forget cars if it bothers you so much. Compare it to guns if it makes you feel better. Ruger, (LCP), Smith & Wesson, (model 586 & 686 firing pin, lock), Remington, (XP-100, Walker trigger, and other models), Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornady, (ammunition of most every type and caliber), and most likely a dozen more I'm forgetting at the moment. Are they all "turds" and "bad products" as well? It's the reason why products have warranties. What you people are having difficulty with is living in an imperfect world. You should get jobs in quality control. It would educate you to the real one.

Then forget cars if it bothers you so much. Compare it to guns if it makes you feel better. Ruger, (LCP), Smith & Wesson, (model 586 & 686 firing pin, lock), Remington, (XP-100, Walker trigger, and other models), Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornady, (ammunition of most every type and caliber), and most likely a dozen more I'm forgetting at the moment. Are they all "turds" and "bad products" as well? It's the reason why products have warranties. What you people are having difficulty with is living in an imperfect world. You should get jobs in quality control. It would educate you to the real one.

I've been in electronics manufacturing and can tell y'all that incompetence and ego is rampant. Such deserve to be put on the mat

billt, I feel like you're being attacked on this thread, and I don't think anybody intends to do that. I have a G19, gen 3, love it and would never trade it. However, with the release of the gen 4's TO ME Glocks quality has gone down hill. I had a gen 4 G23 briefly, and I hated it. It felt cheap and cheezy after I had it for awhile. And then there was the Gen 4 9mm debacle, I for one would have never foreseen problems like that gun had, coming from a Glock. I was willing to forgive that as one screw up they let get out. But now that this G42 is out, and the failure and malfunction rate are seemingly so high, I've lost some faith in Glock. In fact, I was considering a new Glock just last weekend and decided against it because their efforts on some of their latest products is lackluster at best. I bought another HK instead....paid $450 more for it than I would have the Glock, but in my mind it was money well spent because this pistol is purely for defense, it's not a target gun, and quite honestly Glock is slipping and I won't support them right now. Period.

I read this at lunch today. I copied and pasted and sent it home so I could post it, and I forget what magazine did this piece. Anyway, this is the second part of the article, but I think the G42 problems are vast....

UPDATE: Not a word yet from Glock. They've got more people working in their marketing department than we've got reporters at our paper, but evidently none of them have time to return a phone call or an email.
As an investigative reporter, this is something I'm used to. I have friends who say that "Did not return calls seeking comment" should be carved on my tombstone. However, I didn't expect this from Glock.
A firm with nothing to hide steps up, answers questions and addresses a problem.
EARLIER: Ever since I posted a story from a reader about stoppages and other problems with his Glock 42, I've been inundated by complaints from other owners of the highly-anticipated pistol.
The original story involved barrel damage, which Glock said was caused by bad ammo, even though the owner said he only used factory rounds. His local dealer agreed to pay for a new barrel, but that could take a long time.
"I spoke with a customer service person at Glock in Smyrna, Georgia and was informed that the barrel for the G42 is produced in Austria with a waiting period of 6 to 8 weeks before barrels are shipped, and that all barrel replacements must bear the stock number in which to coincide with the stock number for the gun," the gun owner told me. "So the G42 that I purchased back in January means that I will not have my gun back until April 2014. I also called Glock in Austria and we'll see if I get a call back or not.
Not very good customer service."
Other owners told me of stoppages and malfunctions regardless of the type of ammo they use. They're pissed and frustrated. Some said even ball ammo will jam, stove-pipe and fail to feed.
Huh? I decided it was time to hear Glock's side.
I first tried to email the firm. Evidently, other folks are trying to get their questions answered too, as this pop-up jumped out when I went to their contact form: "We are currently receiving very high email volume through the Contact Us form. We are working to address all inquiries as
fast as possible, and we appreciate your understanding in any delay you might experience."
I called the firm's technical services department and left a message, identifying myself as a journalist seeking answers about the G42.
Neither the email nor the phone call have produced a response from Glock.
I shall update the story when I hear from the firm.
I carred a G17 for years and never had a problem. Glock has a sterling reputation among serious shooters.
I hope they don't blow it now.