JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do appreciate the fact that she doesn't have "man-hands" but it is frustrating trying to get her become proficient with her new firearms if we cannot incorporate reloading drills. Is there any way to modify the slide release, possibly a lighter tension spring in order to make it easier to activate? She is also left handed and 100lbs (1911 included) so even "racking" back the slide is a bit of a struggle for her. I've been wondering if anyone on here has had a similiar issue or a possible solution.

Regards

Well if you want to teach "good" reloading practices, you shouldn't be using the slide release. The best method for mechanical advantage is to grip the top/rear portion of the slide with your weak side hand, and push forward with your strong side hand (the hand that it on the pistol's grip), until the slide is unlocked, then release the slide with your weak side hand, done. This is a better method than pulling back on the slide with your weak side hand, this is because its easier to push than pull.

Understood. The technique you described is what I referred to as "racking" the slide, not very effective for her at his point. The next range day may be started with a protien shake for her first thing in the morning.

Understood. The technique you described is what I referred to as "racking" the slide, not very effective for her at his point. The next range day may be started with a protien shake for her first thing in the morning.

Well the method I described is an alteration of "racking", (since she is left handed) she would push forward with her left hand while gripping the slide with her right, instead of just pulling back on the slide with her right hand.

Using firearms is not about strength, it just requires skill and finesse.

+1 to what physicsguy said. Good for you that your gf is interested in becoming proficient!

For racking the slide, make sure she is not grabbing the slide with a "pincher" grip using only her forefinger, middle finger and thumb. For the support hand, the base of the palm should be flat against the side of the slide with 4 fingers wrapping over the top of the slide. The slide should be gripped between the palm and all 4 fingers (not using the thumb). That seems to me to be the easiest way to get a good grip on the slide.

I cannot think of a good way to lighten the slide release. It would probably involve lighter recoil springs, which can affect reliability, or slightly altering the engagement angles of the slide lock. Neither of these are good ideas. The push/pull version of racking the slide will end up being the best option. I have seen 100 lb women learn to do this, so your girlfriend should have no issues. It is also better for reliability, as that extra 1/8 to 1/4 inch of extra slingshot on the slide aids in seating the round positively in the chamber. Just practice and keep up on the protein shakes. Beware though, she'll probably end up shooting better than you. Most the women I've taught to shoot have become better than me... ;)

What about finding a 'longer' slide release? It would be easier to move (though with a longer throw) since you'd get the additional torque. Is there a way to get a longer one? I think there is a little bit of room...

What about finding a 'longer' slide release? It would be easier to move (though with a longer throw) since you'd get the additional torque. Is there a way to get a longer one? I think there is a little bit of room...

She is a lefty (wrongy) shooter so room shouldnt be a problem. I looked in to the extended slide release <broken link removed>

as a drop in piece it seems easy enough and a bit less mentally damaging than poison darts (tempting though)

Well now, that looks like a bull barrel ultra comoact, those things have wicked recoil springs, buy lighter ones, but you might have feed issues.

Well now, that looks like a bull barrel ultra comoact, those things have wicked recoil springs, buy lighter ones, but you might have feed issues.

It is by far the hardest to rack out of all of our firearms. It only has around 150 rounds through it so it may lighten up a bit after a few hundred more. I plan on being in Afghanistan by August/Sept so this pistol, along with our new german shepherd puppy, is my home defense plan for her while I'm gone.

If she can keep up a grouping like she has lately, shes likely to have all the time in the world to reload when necessary.

:gun10:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads