JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a good accessory to give my dad for his fairly new AR-15. Would like to spend $150 or less. Any ideas. As far as I know, he hasn't done anything to it since purchasing it. He's never been one to "customize" anything. I'm thinking along the lines of slings, muzzle brakes, etc. He's left handed, so any ambidextrous or left handed goodies would be cool also. Any ideas for me? He's really hard to shop for, and I hate to just get him ammo or more drill bits o_O

How about a nice hard sided rifle case that's made for an Ar-15, or some bowling pins to plink at.
I received some Tannerite last year and we had a blast with that.

maybe a nice hogue grip and some magpul p-mags?

optics I wouldn't dare gift someone as everyone is different for what kind of optics they like, and quality optics can easily cost $400-1500

I just dropped $500 in optics for my AR-15 (EOTech)

ambi bolt catch lever, safety, etc.. definitely plenty of stuff to choose from!

+1 for tanner lite

ambi safety a nice addition

getting your dad a muzzle break for a .223 is like calling him a wuss .

ambi charging handle Meh a PRI fat latch would cheaper . ambi charging handles are over priced and over rated . Most of the ambi stuff they make for the Ar15 with the exception of the safety is overpriced and over rated

the coolist Left handed item i ever got for a the AR15 was a Left handed ar15 of corse thats way over budget . unless he has the tools to install a receiver still over your budget though cause you would need a receiver and bolt carrier group.

what does he use for sights? there are some good deals out on 1x4 optics in that range .

I think a great gift for someone who likes to tinker in the garage and has some basic tools like a drill press would be a 80% polymer lower.

<broken link removed>

plus a basic lower parts kit like this one
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/172/category/389/

Probably just around $150 with shipping.

I had a ton of fun making mine and I really didnt care if it worked or not since it was fun making it and trying to get all the parts together when it was done. Mine works and it turns out the pocket that you mill out does not need to be absolutely perfect for it to function.

Being a lefty myself my vote would be for the Troy ambi mag release. I have a few of them and they work great.

As for a charging handle go with the BCM ambi it feels better in my opinion to the Raptor and I have both models.

Battle Arms Development has the best safety out there for the lefties but they are not cheap. I did find one from Damage Industries that I picked up for 25 dollars or so to use in a cheap build and it works pretty good for the money.

how is the battle arms one the best? the only problem I have had with a ambi safety is one came loose on me . some simple loc tite would have kept that from happening

Last Edited:
I'm a bit surprised that so many seem to think that ambidextrous controls contribute much. What am I overlooking? Does not seem like a very big deal to me.

There must be some advantages that I just don't see.

The ambi safety is very useful even if your right handed. I once put a dedicated left handed safety on one of my rifles due to a ambi coming loose and found that I used the other side as well for switching off . as far as charging handles go and all the other doo dads meh . maybe if helps give you a edge if in a timed match being able to drop a mag and insert another . not sure how a ambi charging handle helps I have the pri big latch on all mine and know that helps but still can't see how a ambi would help much more as i never had a issue with it with that latch using either right or left feels the same to me.

the ambi safety puts your thumb on it while aiming so your safe till your ready to fire if you have not used one you and install one you'll see it probably one of the most practical upgrades there is and even if your right handed you'll find that you are using both side naturally more than you ever though you would

Last Edited:
maybe a nice hogue grip and some magpul p-mags?

optics I wouldn't dare gift someone as everyone is different for what kind of optics they like, and quality optics can easily cost $400-1500

I just dropped $500 in optics for my AR-15 (EOTech)

ambi bolt catch lever, safety, etc.. definitely plenty of stuff to choose from!
+1 for the Hogue grip! They have a new one out that looks like a Magpul but has that sexy Hogue feel! http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...r-15-with-finger-grooves?cm_vc=subv1151576074

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top