JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 80 year old neighbor wants to sell a couple of guns. He has a nice Weatherby Mark V in good condition that has my interest. I just got a quick glance at it today. Scope is dated, I'd replace it with some thing better. i don't know what to offer, he's a good guy and I want to be fair. I don't have time for many picture. What's a fair price?

07676002-6D26-4118-B81B-5F92102BC6EE.jpeg

J. P. Sauer built them. They are very nice, there are limited numbers of them out there. Likely it hasn't been shot too much given the recoil and cost of ammo. Cosmetics are the big determining factor of value to me. With stock dings
and worn bluing, I would guess between $600-$900. Pristine condition $1200-$2000
. 20210821_081826.jpg 20210821_081738.jpg 20210821_081627.jpg 20210728_073356.jpg 20210728_073242.jpg
i traded this one for a value of $1800 in other guns. IMG_20210610_063310.jpg IMG_20210610_063255.jpg IMG_20210610_063235.jpg

My 80 year old neighbor wants to sell a couple of guns. He has a nice Weatherby Mark V in good condition that has my interest. I just got a quick glance at it today. Scope is dated, I'd replace it with some thing better. i don't know what to offer, he's a good guy and I want to be fair. I don't have time for many picture. What's a fair price?

View attachment 1220466
cut a deal with him, you move his other guns and he gives you a break on the Weatherby!

Hey 'dog - I have 4 Weatherby rifles chambered in 300 WBY MAG: 3 Mark Vs (one of them being coop44's old one that he posted photos of) and a Mauser action "pre Mark V". In addition to the normal "condition is everything": currently manufactered USA rifles and Japanese rifles - no collector interest; value is as a hunting rifle. "P" prefix West German rifles - minimal collector value unless in smallest or largest calibers. No prefix West German rifles - definite collector interest with the earliest examples being most desirable. Pre Mark Vs - again, much collector interest (e.g. " $ value") with the earliest examples being the most desirable. All were manufactured to a very high standard and are excellent rifles. I'm guessing the rifle you are looking at is a "P" prefix rifle. You absolutely couldn't go wrong with it at $1,000 to $1,200. I don't think the scope adds much value. The only older "period correct" scopes I'd pay extra for is a US or Japanese made Bausch & Lomb, or a German made Weatherby "Imperial". I love shooting all of mine. I don't hunt, just shoot 170 grain cast gas checked bullets with SR4759 or 5744 @ about 1600 fps or so. No such thing as cheap factory hunting ammo for a 300 WBY Mag, I think about $100 a box of 20 is pretty much the price you'll have to pay unless you handload. If you do, then you can load for it as cheaply as for any .30 caliber rifle like a 30-30, .308., or .30-06. Especially if you don't buy "premium" bullets. Just keep in mind that they are hunting rifles, NOT target rifles. Do it!!!

Hey 'dog - I have 4 Weatherby rifles chambered in 300 WBY MAG: 3 Mark Vs (one of them being coop44's old one that he posted photos of) and a Mauser action "pre Mark V". In addition to the normal "condition is everything": currently manufactered USA rifles and Japanese rifles - no collector interest; value is as a hunting rifle. "P" prefix West German rifles - minimal collector value unless in smallest or largest calibers. No prefix West German rifles - definite collector interest with the earliest examples being most desirable. Pre Mark Vs - again, much collector interest (e.g. " $ value") with the earliest examples being the most desirable. All were manufactured to a very high standard and are excellent rifles. I'm guessing the rifle you are looking at is a "P" prefix rifle. You absolutely couldn't go wrong with it at $1,000 to $1,200. I don't think the scope adds much value. The only older "period correct" scopes I'd pay extra for is a US or Japanese made Bausch & Lomb, or a German made Weatherby "Imperial".
Thanks for the great info! this is a no prefix 1959-1973 I believe.

No problem. A West German rifle with just a numeric serial number would be manufactured 1959 -1963. With a "P" prefix at the start of the serial number it would indicate a rifle built between 1964 and 1973. Both are equal quality and are VERY nice rifles. Although I don't have a Japanese Mark V (I do have a mid-to-late 80s Japanese Vanguard, though) the Japanese rifles are every bit the equal of the German rifles as far as build quality. Just don't have the collector interest.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top