JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Ontario is a full 1/8" thick with a full tang. Ontario makes what looks to be a legitimate tool that will last. I thrash tested it on a pile of limbs out back for about 10min and it worked as expected. I'm already sold. +1 for Ontario Knife!

I am going to get the one Blitzkrieg recommended. Bought a cheap one at Ace Hardware and it is awful. Like pressed tin.

Pick up a Stihl chainsaw file, the flat type for the big chisel chains, you can put a MEAN edge on that chopper! It will store in the sheath, just grease it first

Pick your length of the Kershaw Camp 10,14 or 18. The old discontinued Kershaw Outcast has a better steel (D2) and sheath. The Camp series have a better designed handle. The Outcast is pretty expensive if you can find them anymore. The Camp models are a good value for something a little better than a cheap machete. I use the Camp 10 around the yard and also have an Outcast.

It's very easy to get a piece of heavy leather and assemble a sheath using rivets. I gave mine a cammo paint job because I used it in the duck blind. I also cut a wide ranger band out of a mtn bike tube to hold my file. I'm darned sure mine will out last my grandson!

Not my intended use for this Ontario machete but, if anyone has any question about what this beast will hack through.....

bucket.jpg

I did touch up the edge with a small file and just for conversation sake; the cut in the bucket started going sideways a few inches down and stopped about a third of the way to the other side of the bucket maybe 6"-7" from the bottom.(Do not try this with a Gerber Gator:)) This Ontario knife tool is a keeper. I'll be wood cutting again this weekend using it as intended and post a review for anyone looking for a machete and needs more of a sales pitch:) Thanks again to all for the recommendation!

I've owned and used a Woodsman's Pal for about 12 years now. It's been used hard, beat up, neglected, and it's still my 'go to' machete. It was silly expensive at $80 when I bought it then, and I see it has increased in price even more...but it's a great, hefty, tough blade, made in the USA.
<broken link removed>

I just went out in the work shed and dug out my machete... best one I've ever owned, and sure enough, it's an ontario knife... I bought this thing when I was a teenager after breaking numerous "cheap" machetes I bought at the surplus store doing yard work. I finally spend the money and bought the most expensive one they had (official US military... blah blah blah) it's survived all my teenage years doing yard work for my parents, many years doing trail work for the USFS, and has been a constant companion to my estwing hatchet and my bow saw. It's a little dull, and the bluing is gone, but it's still as strong a tool as the day I bought it.

If size isn't an issue my go to for removing small limbs from trees, etc is a Cold Steel 2 handed machete - has held up nicely for the last several years. Not exactly pretty to look at with the cheapo paint job but it works.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top