JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up a Gerber machete from Bi-mart to clear small stuff while wood cutting this week end. Instant fail! I destroyed that blade in three moves! Took it back today. (I'll post a pic if I need to) Does anyone know of a reasonably priced machete that can be had locally? Beaverton/Hillsboro/Portland?

Get an Ontario. They sell them at Andy And Bax in Portland (by the convention center) for like $26. I've had one for a few years, and use it a lot, and my dad has one. They are US made and made for the military. They also sell a brand that is made in Portland, OR for about the same price. I have one of those too, but the Ontario seems a little heavier duty. They have different sizes and handle designs too. I have a SOG that is a giant POS also....

Barteaux is the brand that is made in PDX.

I'll hit up A&B before the weekend thanks for the reply! Here's the POS before I returned it.

GBR.jpg

Holy cow what did you hit?

I used one all summer, I shapened it to almost a razor edge and as I am mowing I hit any blackberry vines in the way. Its still holding its edge. Also cut down several small trees.

Looks like thats a very soft one....

Get an Ontario. They sell them at Andy And Bax in Portland (by the convention center) for like $26. I've had one for a few years, and use it a lot, and my dad has one. They are US made and made for the military. They also sell a brand that is made in Portland, OR for about the same price. I have one of those too, but the Ontario seems a little heavier duty. They have different sizes and handle designs too. I have a SOG that is a giant POS also....

Barteaux is the brand that is made in PDX.

Ontario all the way.. used one in the field for well over 20 years and it even survived a semi running over it at speed

Holy cow what did you hit?

I used one all summer, I shapened it to almost a razor edge and as I am mowing I hit any blackberry vines in the way. Its still holding its edge. Also cut down several small trees.

Looks like thats a very soft one....

I attempted to save chainsaw fuel by knocking the "finger sized" dead branches from a log I was cutting. Three chops and hung it on a tree till I left. I didn't know they came in "you must have got a very soft one" and actual Useable hardness one:) Just messing with you. I started looking at the Ontario machete and I will probably own one by Friday.

I'm only 5'10" 180lbs not like that thing was being tested. Three whacks; three gouges in the blade. (pine tree) Either way I won't buy Gerber again until they step back up. I looked up SEVERAL (more than 5) reviews and read negative responses about the flimsy blade. Moving onward and upward.

The one I have is 18" I think, but maybe 22", it is in my truck right now....but I know they are under $30 at Andy and Bax. Mine has the saw teeth on the spine and no guard on the handle. They have all the sizes and styles there so you can see what you like best.

I'm guessing that Gerber was at least the price of the Ontarios. I have some really good Gerber stuff, but any of that Baer Grills crap, or stuff made overseas is junk. My old Gerber/Fiskars hatchet is amazing, but a buddy bought a new one, it sucks. Most stuff they put their name on is worth nothing to me. Just gunna let you down when you need it.

The one I have is 18" I think, but maybe 22", it is in my truck right now....but I know they are under $30 at Andy and Bax. Mine has the saw teeth on the spine and no guard on the handle. They have all the sizes and styles there so you can see what you like best.

I'm guessing that Gerber was at least the price of the Ontarios. I have some really good Gerber stuff, but any of that Baer Grills crap, or stuff made overseas is junk. My old Gerber/Fiskars hatchet is amazing, but a buddy bought a new one, it sucks. Most stuff they put their name on is worth nothing to me. Just gunna let you down when you need it.

Ontario made runs of machetes for US military.. mine are mostly the older Blackie Collins signature models.. excellent steel

The super cheap made in South Africa Cold Steel machetes are GTG.. I watched a test to destruction vid on one and it was unreal how much abuse it took

I once posted on another thread about picking up a Craperber Bear Grills "panang machette" and wiggling it sideways like a slender willow wand. I think that selling a "survival" tool that wimpy is unconscionable! I am very fond of my Barteaux, an old one, with slab side aluminum handle. I cut mine down to 26" with a sharp "scimitar" type point! Only problem with them is vibration, wear heavy gloves. The blade is a full 1/8" thick!
That said, Ontairo's are excellent tools also. And, hey, spend a little money! The cheapest anything is almost surely crap!

I went to A&B and picked up the 18" saw back Ontario knife machete. $28. Wish I'd gone there first. I didn't get a sheath for it yet but, they had some there for $16. I bet I could easily chop the Gerber baby food machete in half with this one! Already took it out back and gave it a go. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for and performs as expected. Thanks guys!

I went to A&B and picked up the 18" saw back Ontario knife machete. $28. Wish I'd gone there first. I didn't get a sheath for it yet but, they had some there for $16. I bet I could easily chop the Gerber baby food machete in half with this one! Already took it out back and gave it a go. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for and performs as expected. Thanks guys!

I knew you wouldn't be disappointed! I have the cheap plastic/rubber sheath they sell there, not sure on the price, but I know it's made in china. It works...I want to get one made out of Kydex, but keep putting it off...

I knew you wouldn't be disappointed! I have the cheap plastic/rubber sheath they sell there, not sure on the price, but I know it's made in china. It works...I want to get one made out of Kydex, but keep putting it off...[/QUOT
Yeah it's a beast! I ordered an nylon Ontario sheath on Ebay for cheap. That will get me by in the mean time. Kydex will be next. The saw back on this thing feels like it will be hard to contain! I did get the soldering iron out and stipple the grip. Zero disappointment with this purchase!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top