JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing was ever wrong with the Garand!

I'm pretty new to The Garand, with the reading all about the history there is one flaw that I seen. No being able to change out a mag or add to the mag when in battle. And a very distinct sound when the rifle was empty. :s0030: I'm a newb to the gun so be gentle. It's the only thing other than weight I can think of of being wrong with it.

I'm pretty new to The Garand, with the reading all about the history there is one flaw that I seen. No being able to change out a mag or add to the mag when in battle. And a very distinct sound when the rifle was empty. :s0030: I'm a newb to the gun so be gentle. It's the only thing other than weight I can think of of being wrong with it.
The capacity and ability to "top off" wasn't a biggy, when the Garand was the standard, you were more careful with your ammo count anyway, so you did one of two things, left it alone and charged when needed, or when you had cover and a breather, you would eject the unused clip and charged with a fresh, while saving the ones you changed out and would load those as needed! Most guys would carry a hand full of loose for that purpose! As far as the ping, that was rarely an issue!
You know how loud shooting is with out ear protection, RIGHT? Now, add in the sounds of battle all around you, and nobody is going to notice, let alone even hear the "Ping" unless their right on top of you, and that's a whole nother problem best addressed with your 1911 or Bayonet! :D

Hey the

Hey there! Welcome to Garand life! You can change out a en bloc by pushing the side release tab. With practice you can top off with single rounds too. As for the ping, in my experience its not as loud as you would imagine. For the shooter it is a great reminder to reload but I don't think it can be heard from a distance in a fight. And if you are in a house shooting 30-06 and the clip goes "PING" nobody-will hear anything except "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
In my experience in shooting back at humans the enemy is probably empty if they stop shooting (Or they are maneuvering). So the NoT shooting the Garand would be more indicative that you are reloading than the ping would be.

The capacity and ability to "top off" wasn't a biggy, when the Garand was the standard, you were more careful with your ammo count anyway, so you did one of two things, left it alone and charged when needed, or when you had cover and a breather, you would eject the unused clip and charged with a fresh, while saving the ones you changed out and would load those as needed! Most guys would carry a hand full of loose for that purpose! As far as the ping, that was rarely an issue!
You know how loud shooting is with out ear protection, RIGHT? Now, add in the sounds of battle all around you, and nobody is going to notice, let alone even hear the "Ping" unless their right on top of you, and that's a whole nother problem best addressed with your 1911 or Bayonet! :D

you beat me to it by a minute!!

Hey the

Hey there! Welcome to Garand life! You can change out a en bloc by pushing the side release tab. With practice you can top off with single rounds too. As for the ping, in my experience its not as loud as you would imagine. For the shooter it is a great reminder to reload but I don't think it can be heard from a distance in a fight. And if you are in a house shooting 30-06 and the clip goes "PING" nobody-will hear anything except "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
In my experience in shooting back at humans the enemy is probably empty if they stop shooting (Or they are maneuvering). So the NoT shooting the Garand would be more indicative that you are reloading than the ping would be.

you beat me to it by a minute!!

Good points all...But, but, I read it on the internet! :s0140:

You can change out a en bloc by pushing the side release tab. With practice you can top off with single rounds too.

I'm considering modifying one of the clips, or buying one, to allow single shot capabilities. With arthritic wrists and fingers, loading clips into the gun doesn't work like it's suppose to. I'm not gonna get "Garand Thumb", so I know how not to do that at the least.

Good points all...But, but, I read it on the internet! :s0140:

You can change out a en bloc by pushing the side release tab. With practice you can top off with single rounds too.

I'm considering modifying one of the clips, or buying one, to allow single shot capabilities. With arthritic wrists and fingers, loading clips into the gun doesn't work like it's suppose to. I'm not gonna get "Garand Thumb", so I know how not to do that at the least.

There are single shot sleds available. Midway USA has them. So does Ammogarand. At service rifle matches they are used for the single shot stage. Very useful when sighting the rifle in.

Midway and Ammogarand are both great companies and have the single loading devices (SLED) for a low enough cost that I would never bother trying to manufacture one of my own from an 8-rd clip.

There are also 2 and 5-round clips available. These are used primarily in match shooting but may be of value when just shooting at the range if you don't want to shoot / load a full 8-round clip each time.

US made? Hmm.... but Will it buy me an air conditioned helicopter?

They are very good pouches. I have a butt cuff thaty make that holds 2 en blocs. In left or right hand carry. They also make an updated version of the old cartridge pouch belt but I opted to use a battle belt with their pouches so I can put the bayonet on it.

The last awb they proposed didnt go that far, but did go as far as naming specifically the m1a and the sks.

Probably what got the M1A on that list is the removable magazine feature and the flash suppressor. M1 Rifle doesn't have either. The M1 Rifle has avoided a lot of lists in various places for these reasons. Except the I-1639 thing, where everything semi-auto got caught in the net. But OP's thinking may still be solid if assault weapon bans proposed in the future take effect.

I have two M1A's. But of my three M1 Rifles, one is .308 Win., just in case.