JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while back under the impending doom of the AWB here in WA.... I started planning an alternate load out just in case my AR had to go into hiding for a while...

My Garand was the only rifle I had that was ban-proof and had what it took to be a defensive rifle.

Afterall, the Garand made America great by putting a lot of Japs and Nazis in the dirt... no reason it cant save us again, you know, from some Commies this time:cool:

Seriously though.

Picked up a Hopco MRO mount (which replaces the rear sight assembly without permanently altering the rifle) with a Holosun 507c

Got a new belt set up with my P227 in a Safariland ALS, Esstac KYWI for the pistol mags, IFAK & dump... I finished it off this week with enbloc pouches from Olongapo Outfitters (makes stuff for everything else too)

The Olongapo pouches are probably the best piece of gear I have picked up in a long time. Built well, veteran owned and made in the US... Nothing else comes close for carrying garand clips.

If time ever allows, Id love to run this through a 2-gun course.
20190925_223314.jpg 20190925_223349.jpg

The M1 rifle is still a very practical rifle....they shoot well and fire a potent cartridge.
Nice looking set up you have there.

M1 rifles were also used in Korea and Vietnam....we armed friendly Anti-Communist countries and groups with them as well...so they are quite the historic rifle with a long service life.

As for tactical ....anything can be tactical...its all in how you use what you got.
A rifleman armed with a rifle that he has the both the skill and willingness to use effectively , is a force to be reckoned with.
Andy
Edit to add :
As a side note M1 rifles were used in Panama by the PDF...it was kinda strange to say the least to be shot at , by someone using a M1 rifle....

Sadly I wouldn't count on the Garand being ban-proof. Washington's legal definition of an "assault rifle" (via I-1639) is now any semi-automatic rifle, which the Garand qualifies for, and the whole definition is clearly a set up for a ban.

I think the arguments about "assault weapons" being based on cosmetic feature differences only finally sunk in, and much of the talk now is about banning all semi-automatics.

And what a better way than to inform someone to cease their illegal ingress on one's lawn?

os-1513895626-34iphswl77-snap-image.jpg

Kidding. It is a fine piece that lives up to the reputation of a reliable, hard hitting rifle. :)

Yeah, Its only a matter of time.

The last awb they proposed didnt go that far, but did go as far as naming specifically the m1a and the sks.

Which is sketchy since the m1a has no features and the sks doesnt even have a detachable magazine. Probably because it sounds close to AK and its an acronym they cant say... So it must be scary.

Rough times ahead

Nothing was ever wrong with the Garand! Tactical long before tactical was even a thing, a serious fighting rifle from the generation that kept us free, and it's a no joke serious rifle even today! I would not only rock a Garand, I would be proud to! :cool:

I own 2 semi auto rifles M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Both have kits with as much ammo as I care to carry. I would pack either happily should the need arrive.

For storing it but having it ready for action, does Lubriplate grease keep well if putting my Garand in the safe for a month or 2? Or should I use a different type of grease?

I just love the idea of terrifying a baddie by charging down the hallway with a 77 year old rifle fixed with a 67 year old M5A1 stabby device

For storing it but having it ready for action, does Lubriplate grease keep well if putting my Garand in the safe for a month or 2? Or should I use a different type of grease?

Firearm oil and grease.....for me....
For oil....I use full synthetic motor oil 0W-20 or CLP
For grease.....I use *Super Lube synthetic grease.

*I have also been known to use multi purpose axle grease. Lubriplate is recommended by the US military though I've found it harder to find.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Any good wheel bearing grease will work. There should only be a thin layer where needed and will last for years if the rifle is stored.

I like using red grease applied with a cotton swab. If I apply it and see red, there is too much on the surface.

OK good. Thanks for the tips everyone. Sounds like I'm on the right track.
I still have a pint of the Lubriplate that I have barely put a dent in since last summer. If anyone in the Tigard area needs some I'm happy to give you a dallop. Bring your own kitchen spoon. @ma96782 amazon.com has Lubriplate in all sizes.
I did just get the red grease yesterday at Wilco.
I found I can fit the M14 grease/oil combo container with the WWII cleaning kit all in the butt. I just took a friend out to shoot it for his first time. I haven't shot that big'un since January.

I hope your not offended if I say I like your wood?:eek: FIX BAYONETS;) I would love to see the face of a home invasion tweaker seeing
Your M1 fixed bayonet.:DI have some AP stash ammo to feed my M1s. On stripper clips, in bandoliers, 4 bandoliers in each ammo can.
30/06 AP is pretty amazing ammo it will penetrate an engine block or a telephone pole.

I hope your not offended if I say I like your wood?:eek: FIX BAYONETS;) I would love to see the face of a home invasion tweaker seeing
Your M1 fixed bayonet.:DI have some AP stash ammo to feed my M1s. On stripper clips, in bandoliers, 4 bandoliers in each ammo can.
30/06 AP is pretty amazing ammo it will penetrate an engine block or a telephone pole.

hahaha thanks! I'm not offended by the comment but flattered...? I only have one box of AP. Its in the original package so it sits up on my pretty stuff shelf. Someday I'll buy a bunch.

DD5FCA98-4C0C-4674-BB79-73451DA1A4F0.jpeg