JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, fair question. At this time, the only mil-surp 30-06 I can find in quantity is from CMP at a bit over 50 cents a round, including shipping. There is small supply of Iranian mil-surp from the 60's, running about 60 cents a round. CMP has declared they have enough for a few more years. No one is manufacturing new 30-06 for military purposes. On the other hand 7.62X51 NATO, is being made in the US and Europe, to NATO standards in large quantities for military consumption, which means older ammo is still being surplussed. I have been buying German DAG in 200 round battle packs at $80 each.
And yes, the M1A is a good choice and I have 2. I also have 2 Garands and want to able to feed them well into the future. The BM59 is an excellent design, however the mags are rare and VERY expensive. For an interesting Garand conversion to use M14/M1A mags Google Shuff's Parkerizing.

corpsman

Your reasoning is good, can not argue with that. I have developed a strong view on leaving venerable military firearms as it. In time original conditions become more valuable and conversions looses value. Also reloading helps and shopping around for components. .308 as you pointed out is 40 cents a round VS 50 cents. There is a guy near me that rebarrels Garands. I had a Dutch Garand rebarreled from him. We are about 1 1/2 hours from the border. I can get his name if you are interested. PM me. If you do a conversion, I would like to hear how it worked out.

Hollisor,
I am definitely interested. In the Eugene area? Have lots of family from and in the Valley, born in Eugene.
Anyway, the .308 conversion of the Garand is nothing new. The Navy converted tens of thousands in the
late 50's and 60's. I have fired several and the only difference I could perceive was slightly lessor recoil.
Ballistics are almost identical with about 50 fps difference at the muzzle, given identical 147 gr FMJ bullets.
The Garand clips feed both cartridges without issues. The main issue I have to deal with is that one of my
Garands is heavily modified, by a fellow known for his work on Garanda and M14 types, name of clint Fowler.
The rifle was manufactured by Breda, in Rome, Italy on Winchester machine tools in the early 50's. The
receiver has Danish Ordinance markings. It has a Douglas medium grade barrel and a similar .308 barrel
will run more than $300.

corpsman

corpsman

I own one of the Navy converted ones. They turn down the shank of a regular Garand barrel, rethread a bit farther. Run a 7.62 X 51 chamber reamer. It ends up being a barrel length one half inch shorter than the orginial barrel. Once they had a drop in chamber insert, but they didn't work out well, and had a couple of different problems with them. The only alteration with the barrel method is the barrel leaving the barrel length a half inch shorter. I don't know if there are nearby local smiths who do this type of work. I have seen kits through Sarco or Gun Parts, but they are pretty spendy.

Not in Seattle obviously but Springfield Armory does complete servicing on M1 Garands. Turnaround is about 6 weeks but I don't think you will find a better price for a new barrel installed in your choice of '06 or .308.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top