JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've never owned a Kahr and never paid much attention to them. However, I stumbled across the Magnum Research BFR revolver product that is also owned by the Kahr parent company. Then I wondered, "Why don't I see any talk about Kahr firearms on NWFA?" I looked in the search feature, nearly all of what I saw there has to do with classifieds. Don't Kahr guns get respect? If not, why not? After all, Danny Reagan carries a Kahr K9.

I didn't know BFR revolvers existed, either. I was casting about for a replacement choke wrench for my NEF Survivor with the .410 /.45 Colt barrel. The original choke wrench for the NEF was marked, T/C, so when they made the Survivor barrel, they simply utilized existing T/C chokes and wrenches. It appears that the Kahr-made BFR revolver with the .410 / .45 Colt chambering also utilizes a T/C choke, while the wrench is a different, simpler design. But works interchangeably with T/C, NEF, and BFR.

So if you're looking for a T/C or NEF choke wrench, don't pay $50 on ebay for a rare, no longer made T/C version. Get the Kahr / BFR version for $6.

So BFR, they say it stands for, "Biggest, Finest Revolver." But I think that may be tongue-in-cheek, as it may have a second meaning.

download.jpeg-70.jpg

The moon family ( Moonies) own Kahr .
I try not to fund cults with my hobbies.

Indirectly lead to the murder of former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

As to Kahr, it has been surpassed by micro Glocks et al. As to the BFR, the Taurus Judge and big Smiths and Rugers etc. have pretty much reduced demand.

@Bobbygun , they actually have some pretty cool imagery. Gold ARs , gun heavy wedding ceremonies. But the fleecing of the flock is simply egregious. Cannot abide.
They do have some cool looking stuff. Somehow, I'm on their email distribution and they have PLENTY of eye candy in their emails. I have a first generation .44 magnum Desert Eagle, but I bought it second hand and it was made before the Kahr acquisition, so I don't see how that would have connected me to them. Maybe some outfit I did business with sold my email address to them. I've never owned a Kahr, Auto Ordnance or Thompson - their other related companies besides Desert Eagle.

I don't know about the newer and polymer frame models, but one of my absolute favorites is my Kahr MK40. All steel and heavy, but a great hand feel and extreme precision machining. In it's size class it's by far my most accurate, concealable and shoots like butt'a.

It's one of the few firearms I own with a bit of sentimentaility attached to it. It's still my preferred EDC and I do still take it for a walk when I'm "dressing up" for special occassions, but "standard" is typically more along the lines of a glonk or similar. Cheap, effective, reliable... and won't hurt my feelings if it get's banged up or confiscated after a good shoot for who knows how long (or ever) before you ever see it again... and how it might survive brutish mishandling while it's in the pokey.

IOW, more of a practical approach, simply replaceable... but if my choice was limited to one, it would be the Kahr.

I wasn't aware of the moonies connection, but nevertheless.... I've had it for a couple decades,it's an extremely fine pistol and I'm certainly not throwing it out with the bathwater.

I obviously missed something here. What's wrong with this guy?
He owns Kahr Arms and is the son of the founder of the unification church out of Korea. The assassination of prime minister Abe in Japan was motivated by retaliation against loose ties to that cult... which turned into a big scandal within the Japanese government when it was discovered there were a significant number of other politicians with ties to them and had "infiltrated" the Japanese government. A lot of folks got summarily booted out of office.

All wealth of it's membes funnel directly into the cult so... yeah. Pretty easy to see why many would be 100% adverse to inadvertantly funding a cult. I certainly wouldn't have... if I had known... but I can't deny either that the one I own is quite an excellent piece of engineering.

I was aware of the Moonie connection to the Kahr owner's son. I'm also aware that freedom of religion is in the First Amendment, right there next to the Second Amendment so I don't let the religious reference bother me. Call it religion or a cult, I don't let that noise interfere with business. If I wanted a Kahr (which I don't see happening for other reasons), the Moonie thing wouldn't stop me. My giving up a Kahr won't hinder or help the Moonies. It will just deprive me of a choice.

In days gone by, I had a Jewish neighbor who refused to buy a Ford Motor Company product because Henry Ford (died 1947) had been an anti-Semite. Certainly his choice but I doubt that the company noticed.

The LDS Church (Mormons) have been accused of being a cult by some but I don't let that stop me from associating with neighbors of mine.

I don't see how responsibility for the assassination of Abe in Japan can be laid at the doorstep of the Moonies. It was done by a crazed son of a Moonie church member who was upset at the donations she was making. The Moonies have been popular in the past with some Japanese politicians because of the strong anti-Communist position of the church. The Moonies are also big on "traditional family values" and down on LGBTQ.

Just my opinion.

But now I can see why there might be limited discussion here about Kahr products.

I have owned and carried a few kahrs and the examples I have had were very good (mk9 and p9). They shot accurately and were very dependable. The manual of arms is very similar to glock but the triggers are long and smooth with no real wall. This doesn't really detract from accuracy but the reset is also very long and follow up shots are therefore slower. It is for this reason I went exclusively glock for sd/hd.

A PM9 is great for pocket carry in an arguably more respectable caliber (than .380/.38). I surmise a current reason for waning interest is that most Kahr's max out flush fit magazine capacity at 6+1 to 8+1 for 9mm and even less for larger calibers. Also, the slide racking on mine were very stiff when new and continue to require a stout grip long after the requisite break-in period. I stopped carrying my P9 when similarly sized striker-fired choices arrived with larger capacity magazine geometry and trigger pulls similar to their full-size counterparts. As much as I like the Kahr trigger pull, since 97% of my trigger time is on a different platform (trigger pull with a wall), I am now less comfortable relying on them for defense use. That may just be my age catching up or my inability to focus on more than one thing at a time. . .

But now I can see why there might be limited discussion here about Kahr products.
Any limited discussion on my part is mostly because I've never held a Kahr, nor have I ever shot with someone else that had one. The guns stores I used to frequent didn't promote Kahrs. I can't even recall ever seeing one. I would say the same for Auto-Ordnance, Thompson, and those BFR revolvers. (I would have zero interest in touching one of those off in .45-70 but they look awesome.) I think a guy can really end up chasing his tail when trying to boycott manufacturers based on political/social/corporate actions etc. I don't try very hard. Remember S&W falling out of favor for making a deal with IIRC the Clinton Administration? Heck, half of the microbrews I quaff come from some companies that support entities that I reject. (Ninkasi at one time being a "banner sponsor" of Predator Defense for instance.) Such things are hard to keep track of and usually complicated. Furthermore, I would buy a quality product with great customer service from someone I'm not socially/politically aligned with, before buying from a company that has an inferior product and poor customer service that matches up perfectly with me socially/politically.

My Desert Eagle is a hoot to shoot. Not a very practical gun, but an excellent tool for getting non-shooters interested in shooting.

Last Edited:
Remember S&W falling out of favor for making a deal with IIRC the Clinton Administration?
Yes, I do. Business is business.

I wonder, how many people have boycotted watching Tom Cruise movies because he's a member of the "Church" of Scientology.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top