JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am building a custom Mega Machine lower and have a question. The lower is marked for full auto. Full auto is legal to own in Washington State but not to shot. My question is can I use a FA selector swith in my SA gun legally? And whould it work? I want the apperance of FA with out the hassle. Thank you in advance.

No. It is marked with full auto markings for the CDI factor. That's it. If it was a registered machine gun receiver prior to May of 1986, then you could make it full auto. Since it was made more recently than that, you're stuck with semi auto.

I am building a custom Mega Machine lower and have a question. The lower is marked for full auto. Full auto is legal to own in Washington State but not to shot. My question is can I use a FA selector swith in my SA gun legally? And whould it work? I want the apperance of FA with out the hassle. Thank you in advance.

I believe you are confusing suppressors with full auto. You can legally get approval and a tax stamp to own a suppressor. You cannot use it legally in WA. You cannot own a full auto as a civilian non-dealer/mfg unless you legally owned it, and it was registered, before they were banned in WA (1994 I think?).

RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms — Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty; or

(b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;

(ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or

(iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations.

(3) It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution brought under this section that the machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle was acquired prior to July 1, 1994, and is possessed in compliance with federal law.

(4) Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 420; 1982 1st ex.s. c 47 § 2; 1933 c 64 § 1; RRS § 2518-1.]

Any parts made exclusively for a machine gun are contraband and you cannot own them. This would include a full auto or select fire selector.

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 421; 1933 c 64 § 4; RRS § 2518-4.]

Got a picture?

Mega probably didn't mark the lower "Auto".
Someone else did.

My friends and Blackwell Industries had Mega make them up some lowers this year with the HK pictogram markings. This may be what the OP has.

To the OP, stick with the pictures or markings on the lower and call it good. Anything else, and you could be setting yourself up for trouble. I also suggest reading as much info as you can get your hands on from the BATFE and the state of Washington's website. Being up on the laws will help prevent time in the pen with Bubba. :s0155:

The lower is a custom set up for a Zombie group. It is marked Safe, Undead, and Outbreak. I was wondering if I could put a slector switch in it that would allow it to go to the Undead position and still fire semi?

I wouldn't recommend making it so you can even put it in the position. I am willing to bet the ATF will frown on it. it may not be illegal, i would check though, but is it worth the hassle you will get eventually.

I don't have any laws backing me up, but if you check out the HK rifles they allow you to switch between safe, semi, and auto (SEF) but they only shoot semi. Since the gun cannot shoot multiple rounds with one squeeze of the trigger, I would think it would be OK, just my $0.02.

There are people who sell M16 safeties that have had the tine removed. This will still move to the full portion but will do nothing but look "cool". This is probably what you should find. They are all over AR15.com

Personally, I say just stick with the markings on the lower and keep it simple.

Lots of police do not know the laws. You can easily find an office who does not know the laws and you could wind up in jail. the charges will not stick, but do you want to deal with the hassle and headache to look cool.

and you can guarantee that they will confiscate your rifle for thorough inspection and who knows if and when you'd get it back.

Why bother for something that "looks cool". It isn't going to impress anyone who actually knows weapons.

It isn't going to impress anyone who actually knows weapons.

I agree with this. Although I understand the CDI factor, chicks do not dig(well, not good ones anyhow) guys in jail. Contrary to what they swear, they will not wait for you while you're serving your time. I don't know this from personal experience, just what friends have told me. :s0131:

The basic idea is you should be very careful about treading into territory where it could look like you're trying to make a select fire weapon. There's an issue about intent where the you could be setting yourself up for trouble. To you it's a cool, fun thing. To law enforcement, the prosecutor, the judge, and the jury it may look like you're one step closer to a full auto gun that you are prohibited from owning.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of a switch that goes to full auto and does nothing. It's like a fake suppressor with government property markings. If you get stopped, it will confuse the average officer and there's not a lot of cool factor in "Wow, that doesn't work!"

Reminds me of a friend who posted pictures on his Facebook page of him with his new GSG-5PK, complete with folding stock and vertical grip.

I commented on the picture "Nice SBR! Did you go individual or living trust?"
and he replied "huh?"

I sent him a private message strongly encouraging to take the picture down, and return his pistol to stock, and told him about the laws governing short barreled rifles and other NFA restricted weapons.

I don't think the ATF would accept ignorance of the law as a valid excuse.

Thanks guys. I guess I will just keep my gun boring.

Now don't say that! We just don't want to lose a member to something preventable. The chances are that nothing would ever happen but, with today's age of digital pictures and instant info, you might just catch the wrong person on the wrong day and end up in trouble.

Besides, how is your gun boring if it does exactly what it was designed to do, but the selector doesn't make a meaningless 90* rotation?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top