JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, it's not my house. And I don't get to do whatever I please while in Joe's house. Many of us push the envelope or downright flaunt the rules and it's rare that we get any lashback about it. I'm not sure how it's all going to work out, but I am sure that these are stressful times.

Yep I agree, not my play ground, not my rules.
I don't have to like the rules to play, I just have to follow them.
I do admit it is at times a love hate. I love the like minded, people and the knowledge is amazing.
I enjoy most times here. And maybe its just how I was raised and such as the rules confuse me
at times. But I do not need to understand them, just follow them. I still think a rock is a rock though :p I just can't explain why :p

Yep I agree, not my play ground, not my rules.
I don't have to like the rules to play, I just have to follow them.
I do admit it is at times a love hate. I love the like minded, people and the knowledge is amazing.
I enjoy most times here. And maybe its just how I was raised and such as the rules confuse me
at times. But I do not need to understand them, just follow them. I still think a rock is a rock though :p I just can't explain why :p

I think it's hard not to lay blame at those we believe are responsible for the unwelcome attacks on peaceful gun ownership. Also on those that support those attacks. To me gun owners that support gun control (Fudds) are truly despicable! They've got theirs and want to screw everybody else's rights. :mad::mad::mad: Then's there's the true believers of the opposite ideology, ie the gun haters. Then there's the gun fearing crowd that I want to scorn instead of pity. Will my understanding their fears ease their worries? I don't seem to be able to counsel them, so??????

When I'm with my buds I can verbalize all the rage I feel about what is happening. It's nice.

IMO the crux or crossroads is do we play nice and try to move the needle, or is it outrage and standing up to bullies that is needed? I see promoters of both. Perhaps playing nice has only encouraged the bullies and it is time to give them a slap. But riddle me this... how do we fight the media anti-gun hype and the schools that are inculcating our nation's children with the ignorance of gun fear and hatred? Anybody got a plan for that???

Reminds me of the term milennial. It is what it is, but also can be used as a slam.

I have millennial neighbors, nice kids but sometimes it's :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. It's easy to groupify and the older I get the more I just shake my head about some groups. Or grit my teeth, it depends. ;)

how do we fight the media anti-gun hype and the schools that are inculcating our nation's children with the ignorance of gun fear and hatred? Anybody got a plan for that???

I do my best while teaching at school to encourage both independent thinking and a positive image of guns and gun owners , if the subject comes up.

Granted , I am only one guy ...but even a little bit now , may make a big difference in the future.
Andy

I do my best while teaching at school to encourage both independent thinking and a positive image of guns and gun owners , if the subject comes up.

Granted , I am only one guy ...but even a little bit now , may make a big difference in the future.
Andy

We need to clone you Andy.

Zero tolerance needs to change... it is part of what is driving the fear and loathing. Gun owners with children could be a big help by lobbying for a new understanding of firearms/schools. Suspension of a kid that makes a finger gun, or a bread gun, needs to stop.

We need to clone you Andy.

Zero tolerance needs to change... it is part of what is driving the fear and loathing. Gun owners with children could be a big help by lobbying for a new understanding of firearms/schools. Suspension of a kid that makes a finger gun, or a bread gun, needs to stop.

Thanks...but two "Andys" at school , here on the forum and at home , running amok...Yikes...:eek::D

And yeah the whole zero tolerance with kids and "guns" ( finger guns / bread guns etc...) all needs to be gone or at least taken into context...As in just what was the kid doing or what did they mean by making a "bread gun" , finger gun...
Jumping all over a kid for being a kid , does no one any good.

Again I would love to see a elective , non political firearm's class in our schools.
One that only taught :
Safe firearm handling...
Just how firearms work...
Basic ballistics / what happens when a bullet hits various objects...
Basic firearms ID...

If there was a class available for free or for a low cost , it might go along way in preventing a tragedy or at least , promoting some real thinking on the subject of firearms.
Andy

We need to reduce zero tolerance to real guns being brought to school. Not finger or bread guns. The only time a bread gun could be a problem is if the kid is fantacizing (sp) about school shootings. Finger guns may be a case of bullying... the problem would be the bullying not the finger gun.

Odd, one of my few high school memories that actually pertain to education was my Korean war vet history teacher and his plywood cutout of a rifle that lived on the chalk ledge of the blackboard. Whenever he'd talk about the military he'd go left shoulder arms and march back and forth. I don't even remember the name of the class, but I remember that.

I think it's hard not to lay blame at those we believe are responsible for the unwelcome attacks on peaceful gun ownership. Also on those that support those attacks. To me gun owners that support gun control (Fudds) are truly despicable! They've got theirs and want to screw everybody else's rights. :mad::mad::mad: Then's there's the true believers of the opposite ideology, ie the gun haters. Then there's the gun fearing crowd that I want to scorn instead of pity. Will my understanding their fears ease their worries? I don't seem to be able to counsel them, so??????When I'm with my buds I can verbalize all the rage I feel about what is happening. It's nice.
IMO the crux or crossroads is do we play nice and try to move the needle, or is it outrage and standing up to bullies that is needed? I see promoters of both. Perhaps playing nice has only encouraged the bullies and it is time to give them a slap. But riddle me this... how do we fight the media anti-gun hype and the schools that are inculcating our nation's children with the ignorance of gun fear and hatred? Anybody got a plan for that???

The problem with solving it is, we are split as far as how to identify the cause, and even those who take time to educate are not really doing anything, because the rate of the opposition, grows daily, and it can take weeks or months to get one or two to listen.
The problem helping convince new people is allot like the city cat lady, she will gather 30 cats feed them leave food outside and help all these cats. She can spend all her money on food and litter, but in the end those thirty cats were saved, why 300 probably in the same neighborhood were born during the same time, and year after year no real progress is made.

I do not think its bad what @AndyinEverson and others do to bring education, and on a small very small scale its helpful.
But even if every member here helped one person, we would still have converted only 40,000 people in a state of millions.
Or better said changed the city of Lake Oswego, it wouldn't even carry weight. These kind of acts should have been looked at 20 years ago, with death by a thousand cuts the antis made progress, huge progress. Where I live about 80% are pro-firearms rights based on the election results. And yet Roseburg matters not in the scheme of things. First the members here will not go out and educate, not 40,000 maybe 40 or even 400. But never will we motivate people like that, it could be said at the last rally 200 people showed up, and this site has over 40,000 and we could not even get this forum to move for three hours, so education on a personal scale is not practical, turning the tide back pre- 2000 will take a hundred years of work.

I agree we are at the crossroads, I think actually the choice was already made. If these bills coming pass, it will put the nail in the coffin and nothing OFF or this site does will stop it. We have maybe this one last shot to turn the clock back, but the magnitude needed is simply not here at this site in a active way. I think NWFA passive approach reflects the true bulk of firearm owners. I wish I was wrong, but if we as a group here do not see dire enough to change policy, and if OFF is thinking letters will work when they never have before, well we already have had the choice made unless we change things now. Not tomorrow.

They've got theirs and want to screw everybody else's rights.
Is this in fact the truth? Are 'Fudds' an active part of the anti-gun lobby or is it simply interpreted as such because 'they' don't accept a certain way of thinking?

I was reading a similar thread on a forum (maybe this one but I don't remember) and the poster was talking about how "They (the Fudds) need to change their attitudes and come around to OUR way of thinking"

One needs to understand long before black & plastic and there was just one Mfg. of ARs people were hunting, shooting recreationally, with traditional firearms at the time and largely in part without the 'shadow' of gun control looming over them. Those of us who are old enough to remember this may understand - I am - and do.

The so-called 'Fudds' are largely in part a member of this demographic and I think the disdain for them is simply because they are gun owners but are holding fast to their opinions and this infuriates those who think they need to change their way of thinking.

I believe a big part of it is NOT they are actively trying to support gun control but because they don't seem to accept or embrace 'modern sporting rifles' they are perceives as antis. Maybe they just don't care.

I was watching a short part of an outdoor show at work (in our lounge where we have a big screen TV for the customers) and two guys were talking about hunting rifles (one seemed to be the 'hunter' and the other the host) and the hunter was asked about MSRs & hunting and the 'hunter' replied very quickly "There is no place in hunting for rifles of this type etc"
So does his opinion make him anti 2A, anti gun ?

As I said before some of these people are from a time before the proliferation of black & plastic and simply do not accept or embrace all the tactical/self defense position that seem to prevail throughout a large portion of gun ownership today. (heck I have a hard time with some of it)

It is very possible they too could suffer the effects of additional gun control issues due to their arrogance and short sighted attitudes and beliefs.

Bottom line is I think the issue about 'Fudds' is really a Non-issue and a waste of time.

Let them think the way they want and suffer any potential consequences.

In the mean time I believe pro-gun efforts are better directed to those and in areas where they are better served and accepted.

Last Edited:
As I said before some of these people are from a time before the proliferation of black & plastic and simply do not accept or embrace all the tactical/self defense position that seem to prevail throughout a large portion of gun ownership today.

This speaks for me.

At one time almost all firearms looked like this :
DSC06814.jpg
They served for all purposes as a firearm...a target gun , self defense , hunting etc...
Could one still use a flintlock for all those purposes today..Yes.
Are there newer choices that might be "better" suited for each those purposes , again yes.

At one time , most guns were made of wood and steel , the use of plastic parts , stamped parts , or the lack of hand fitting meant a cheap gun ....
Not so today... as we have indeed seen , many a quality firearm is made that way...
but in the minds of some , it still means cheap or shoddy , not quality.

"Better" / "best" can mean many things to many different people.
If I want the best chance to make a hit with a rifle...I'm going to use my Hawken rifle copy.
I shoot it the best ...that makes the best for me...not the best for anyone else.

Its the attitude of :
Newer must be "better"...
Its just like what the Navy SEALS / Army Rangers / Special Forces use , so I can be just like them...
High Tech gadget , can replace skill...
Etc..
Along with:
Some of the over the top claims and advertising that can go with the latest in firearms...

Both of which you can , but admittedly not always , encounter when discussing the merits of firearms of the new versus the old type , that makes for a lack of interest for me.

Please note that I am not saying that all folks who like the latest and greatest are like the poor examples I listed above...
I am just listing examples of what I have encountered at times when out and about with my "old guns" or discussing the same...
Nor am I against anyone , who is legal to own a firearm , be barred from owning whatever firearm , that they wish or can afford...
Firearms come in a great variety ...and its all about "Diversity" nowadays right...? :D
Andy

It is very possible they too could suffer the effects of additional gun control issues due to their arrogance and short sighted attitudes and beliefs.
Speaking only for myself, this is what's most frustrating. They could be allies but choose to ignore, or flat out work against, the rest of us. They claim moral high ground or "no one needs" and there can be no further conversation.
We all have our personal tastes. I have little to no interest in revolvers, don't really like bullpups, and I'm not a hunter. I don't know the first thing about Andy's stuff but I think it's cool. Maybe if I had a revolver, a P90, or a flintlock I'd fall in love with them too. They just haven't really pinged my radar yet.
The difference between me (along with presumably many others on this forum) and the group that gets labeled Fudd is that I don't want to take away his sniper rifle but he wants me to lose my assault rifle. It's painfully clear to me that "compromise" is a lie. He seems to think if he gives up the things that don't directly affect him, he'll be left alone.
I wish Fudd would protect me as much as I protect him, that's all.

(1) We recognize that there aren't presently enough 2A supporters to protect gun rights, but (2) we use derogatory terms to describe those that we would recruit to our side.
Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

I am not sure how recruitment was possible to be effective. We have lost so much ground, that I have serious doubts about its effectiveness and impact. When I thing derogatory, I was/ Am often referring to the Dem or Liberal Group. I shy away from Libtard and alike most times. But when I do think derogatory, I am thinking Democrats = Liberals. That is what I mean when saying Derogatory, the site here prefers we do not lump groups like that. And thats where my thoughts are at.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top