Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dolphins84te, Dec 19, 2010.

1. dolphins84te

dolphins84te Redmond, OR Member

I live in central Oregon and the other night when it was in the twenties, someone left the garage door open all night. I have several thousand rounds of ammo in there including shotgun shells and small and large-bore rifle and pistol ammo. When I discovered it in the morning, it was probably around thirty degrees in there. Should I be concerned?

2. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

did they get wet? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. lots of guns fire just fine in sub zero weather.

3. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the fighters at Stalingrad would have loved a balmy 20-30 degrees. :)

4. receo

receo Sandy, Oregon Active Member

Very dangerous to shoot frozen ammo! Good thing you asked the forum.. Where would you like me to pick it up so I can dispose of it properly? :4)

5. SCTSQRL

SCTSQRL Peoples Republic of Eugene Member

Receo is quite right - frozen ammo is highly volatile and should only be handled by highly trained ammunition disposal authorities. Given your stated quantity of hazardous materials, I would hate to see Receo's transportation abilities taxed - I can gear up and deploy my specialized L.A.T.S. (Live Ammunition Transportation Subaru) at a moments notice to relieve you of any 223/556 materials as soon as you give the word.

Of course you have my assurance that all materials will be dispensed with in a sustainable manner, in a manner conducive to recycling.

6. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Don't listen to these guys. They are trying to trick you. Just put it in the oven to thaw it out. :paranoid:

7. 009

009 Jellystone road sw Member

maybe we should ask the russians?

8. sports-shooter

sports-shooter Seattle East Side Member

Frozen gun could sometimes be a problem, but frozen ammo is OK.

9. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Microwave is faster.

10. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I recall reading somewhere several years ago that if you are in need of subsonic 22 and it isn't available in your local area that you (supposedly) can take your box/brick/whatever of high velocity 22, put it in a ziplock to avoid moisture buildup, and store it in your freezer for a month or so. As I never confirmed it myself. Anyone ever try this?

11. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

In subzero weather, there is sometimes a distinct...click(delay)bang...going on, but every round has fired so far.

Keith