Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Frozen ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dolphins84te, Dec 19, 2010.

1. dolphins84te

dolphins84te Redmond, OR Member

I live in central Oregon and the other night when it was in the twenties, someone left the garage door open all night. I have several thousand rounds of ammo in there including shotgun shells and small and large-bore rifle and pistol ammo. When I discovered it in the morning, it was probably around thirty degrees in there. Should I be concerned?

2. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

did they get wet? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. lots of guns fire just fine in sub zero weather.

3. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the fighters at Stalingrad would have loved a balmy 20-30 degrees. :)

4. receo

receo Sandy, Oregon Active Member

Very dangerous to shoot frozen ammo! Good thing you asked the forum.. Where would you like me to pick it up so I can dispose of it properly? :4)

5. SCTSQRL

SCTSQRL Peoples Republic of Eugene Member

Receo is quite right - frozen ammo is highly volatile and should only be handled by highly trained ammunition disposal authorities. Given your stated quantity of hazardous materials, I would hate to see Receo's transportation abilities taxed - I can gear up and deploy my specialized L.A.T.S. (Live Ammunition Transportation Subaru) at a moments notice to relieve you of any 223/556 materials as soon as you give the word.

Of course you have my assurance that all materials will be dispensed with in a sustainable manner, in a manner conducive to recycling.

6. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Don't listen to these guys. They are trying to trick you. Just put it in the oven to thaw it out. :paranoid:

7. 009

009 Jellystone road sw Member

maybe we should ask the russians?

8. sports-shooter

sports-shooter Seattle East Side Member

Frozen gun could sometimes be a problem, but frozen ammo is OK.

9. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Microwave is faster.

10. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I recall reading somewhere several years ago that if you are in need of subsonic 22 and it isn't available in your local area that you (supposedly) can take your box/brick/whatever of high velocity 22, put it in a ziplock to avoid moisture buildup, and store it in your freezer for a month or so. As I never confirmed it myself. Anyone ever try this?

11. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

In subzero weather, there is sometimes a distinct...click(delay)bang...going on, but every round has fired so far.

Keith