JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting article ,thank you for sharing.

I know that for every gun owner there is a different reason for owning a gun...And my reasons are no better than anyone else's.
I only own guns , because I can ... well that and the fact that I grew up around guns and have had fun with them.
I just don't view them like many folks in that article.
Sure I can protect myself with one ... But that is not the primary reason I own one
Defending against a unjust government? Yes ... But again not a big reason for me to have a gun.
Feeling a desire to own something that can also kill someone ?
Again not really part of my thinking...
As a kid , we owned guns more for the fun of it and the history behind them .. Guess that is still the biggest part of my thinking of why I own guns.

I would love to show her our collection of antique firearms and have her shoot a couple of them.
It would be nice for her to see , handle and shoot a part of history...
And to have her learn that guns also come in wood and steel , also that not every gun is a AR15 copy...
Nothing against those types of guns , just seemed like most of the pics in the article showed a gun like those types...
Andy

Last Edited:
I don't know how she could be embedded during the Iraq war and not acknowledge guns have their place. Imagine a female walking down Iraqi main street alone, then say how much guns don't make sense.

Overall it wasn't a anti gun hit piece.

CNN I'll pass...:)

shutterstock_537422884.jpg

Yeah. It's not. It isn't news it's opinion and it is interesting and portrays us in a very different light. Lots of explanation about why we own guns and from a foreigner that can articulate it to others.

What I disliked about the article was the implication or tone that stated owning a gun is a violent thing to do.
Also as stated in my post #3 my views of why I own a gun are so far removed from those stated in the article ...Its difficult for me to relate to those gun owners.

That said it would be nice to chat with the writer and the folks in the article to understand more ideas and get mine across...
Andy

Last Edited:
Interesting article ,thank you for sharing.

I know that for every gun owner there is a different reason for owning a gun...And my reasons are no better than anyone else's.
I only own guns , because I can ... well that and the fact that I grew up around guns and have had fun with them.
I just don't view them like many folks in that article.
Sure I can protect myself with one ... But that is not the primary reason I own one
Defending against a unjust government? Yes ... But again not a big reason for me to have a gun.
Feeling a desire to own something that can also kill someone ?
Again not really part of my thinking...
As a kid , we owned guns more for the fun of it and the history behind them .. Guess that is still the biggest part of my thinking of why I own guns.

I would love to show her our collection of antique firearms and have her shoot a couple of them.
It would be nice for her to see , handle and shoot a part of history...
And to have her learn that guns also come in wood and steel , also that not every gun is a AR15 copy...
Nothing against those types of guns , just seemed like most of the pics in the article showed a gun like those types...
Andy

Sorry Bro', my reasons for owning guns are WAY better then all y'all's reasons for owning guns. ;):D

Because it's it's social commentary, not "World News" as it's categorized (and . . . it's CNN!)

How is it categorized? How is it social commentary?
the article is written by a CNN journalist, not an editorial or guest article...

whats fake about the article was her source to the study that claims your 12x more likely to be killed by a firearm in America.

I own guns for many reasons that are not anyone's business.

But I'll share these two:
1. I like things that go boom.
2. I like well made tools.

I walk around with some trepidation, but I'm determined to strike up conversations. I begin with this question: "Why do you want to own an object that can kill another human being?"

First thing I'd say is that I'd be the one killing another human being, not the gun. Just like it's not the baseball/cricket bat, or a knife, or a golf club, or weed killer, or a speeding car, or a Molotov cocktail, or a rock, it's not even my bare (and very capable) hands or feet.... it'd be me, THE ME THAT RESIDES BETWEEN MY EARS that would be killing another human being. All other objects are merely tools used to accomplish an end.

How is it categorized? How is it social commentary?
the article is written by a CNN journalist, not an editorial or guest article...

The header shows: "CNN World" and her Bio states: "She loves to tell extraordinary tales about ordinary people." That is commentary, not news.

The header shows: "CNN World" and her Bio states: "She loves to tell extraordinary tales about ordinary people." That is commentary, not news.
ok got it now, that makes sense.

Im still surprised to see this article on CNN though, typically an anti-gun news site.

I see in the picture the woman has her finger on the trigger. Looks like there is a zip tie but just the same I always following proper safety and keep my finger off of the trigger.

I found the article overall to be very uplifting. Her constant comparisons with British oppression of Indian people and gun control I think was much more prevalent than the few anti-gun "so-called facts" that the CNN editors infused into the article to make the article sound "objective". However, I am looking at the audience not at whether this article qualifies as something that should be published in an NRA newsletter. Overall, I think most readers come away feeling like the NRA convention was a positive thing and she displayed the people at the convention and mindset of gun owners in a very positive light.

I think people are being too criticial. Articles like this one on CNN will only help push public opinion away from the anti-gun propaganda mindset so many people have been spoon fed for years. I'm not so naive to think that I will read a truly pro-gun article on CNN.. However, I will say I was very delightfully surprised reading this article and think it is a step in the right direction.

The fact that she was interviewing immigrants who came from countries where people faced oppression and were stripped of such liberties as owning guns, I think actually would emanate to the more liberal audiences and social justice warriors. Liberals are inherently anti-gun, so anything to do with freedom of the oppressed or whatever so-called cause they have, would put gun ownership and rights in a public light as I feel the author was mostly doing, despite being honest and overt of her background and upbringing. I felt a genuine desire to connect with a group of people who seemed to totally foreign and strange to her until later where she suddenly started to feel some type of connection and identity with these people and went from viewing them as crazy right-wingers to rational, educated and inspiring people from various backgrounds.

I understand some will not even open their eyes to a CNN article, but remember there is probably 100,000,000 or more people in this country and probably much more in this world who do read these CNN articles. So, considering they are the audience I will say this is a great and uplifting article.

The pro-gun element of this article far outweighed a few of the "objective" anti-gun elements of it that were only briefly infused at the beginning. Also, the picture of her handling the gun (although unsafely, finger in trigger guard), I think showed more of an affinity and affection for the event than a condemnation.

Last Edited:
I have to agree with 4Freedom. The author comes from a far different culture than most of us and she is simply expressing her views based on the way she was raised. I actually thought it was interesting.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews