JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Getting off topic a bit- but I have to agree with Tac on this..
I'd be more inclined to believe the "only dropped once" saying if it were applied to a Mosin Nagant in 1941-42:rolleyes:

Went and checked it out.
Re-arsenaled, mixed numbers, woods are all sanded down.
Probably shoots great but not much collector value left. Person behind the counter didnt drop enough on the price to get my interest.

Tell that to the many thousands of French soldiers who fought the rearguard action that allowed a very large proportion of the British Expeditionary Force to reach Dunkirk and safety.

British casualties amounted to 68,000, while French losses totalled around 290,000 with many more than that either missing or taken prisoner. - See more at: Dunkirk: Victory or Defeat? | History Today (http://www.historytoday.com/patrick-wilson/dunkirk-victory-or-defeat#sthash.H3mOb1nx.dpuf)

tac

Agree 100%. Disrespecting the French fighting men is a sure sign of a novice historian. Also read about how hard they fought at Dien Bien Phu.

Unless someone did and amazing job, I can't really justify paying more than $300 at most ($200 is more usual) for a sporterized 1903 or 03a3. The only time I broke that rule was because the rifle had a nice griffin and howe side scope mount.
That being said, if it said Hoffman, Griffin and Howe, Neidner, Owens, or even Sedgley on the barrel, I'd likely pony up...

Few years back I actually lost sleep when I had handled a Sedgley 1903 Sporter at a local shop and didn't realize it until I got back home, and the store was then closed.. I was up all night researching them, and back down to the shop at 9am when the door opened!

Tell that to the many thousands of French soldiers who fought the rearguard action that allowed a very large proportion of the British Expeditionary Force to reach Dunkirk and safety.

British casualties amounted to 68,000, while French losses totalled around 290,000 with many more than that either missing or taken prisoner. - See more at: Dunkirk: Victory or Defeat? | History Today (http://www.historytoday.com/patrick-wilson/dunkirk-victory-or-defeat#sthash.H3mOb1nx.dpuf)

tac
Very good point. The French for all their faults saved the British and thus Europe in their rear guard defense. Defeats don't look heroic but holding the door at Dunkirk was pivital and the French deserve the memory for that.

Just 'cause I'm a book nerd as well ...
Bernard Fall's Street Without Joy and Hell In A Very Small Place
Jules Roy :The Battle Of Dien Bien Phu
Martin Windrow :The Last Valley
Are all excellent reads on the French in IndoChina. (VietNam)
Andy

Well, I'm not going to disagree with the Francophile's in the bunch! I'm familiar with the battles mentioned and they were indeed heroic.
Let's not forget to tell the 74,000 GI's buried in France about it!:)

Love history! The battle for Din Bin Foo (SP:D) was epic! Let's, also, not forget that the French generals, during WW-1, pulled their own troops out of formation and decimated them for not fighting hard enough! Seriously, should have onehundredpercentimated their senior officer corps. Just MHO!

Love history! The battle for Din Bin Foo (SP:D) was epic! Let's, also, not forget that the French generals, during WW-1, pulled their own troops out of formation and decimated them for not fighting hard enough! Seriously, should have onehundredpercentimated their senior officer corps. Just MHO!
That is not true. They decimated troops that were on open rebellion and not often. There was a grneral mutiny in 1917 among their troops. Also worth noting the French used WAY more artillery before an attack than the Brits did. They were horrified by British losses. Reading about verdin right now.

Just 'cause I'm a book nerd as well ...
Bernard Fall's Street Without Joy and Hell In A Very Small Place
Jules Roy :The Battle Of Dien Bien Phu
Martin Windrow :The Last Valley
Are all excellent reads on the French in IndoChina. (VietNam)
Andy

Great books!

Also, Alistair Horne's "The Price of Glory", about their stand at Verdun in WWI.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top