JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of volunteering at Free Geek and was looking through their policies and was pleasantly surprised to find what I think is a perfectly reasonable policy towards weapons:

If you are lawfully, openly carrying an item that can be classified as a 'deadly weapon' in the state of Oregon, and its presence makes
individuals at Free Geek uncomfortable, please keep in mind that you will be asked to check the item at the front desk or remove it
from the premises. If you are unable to do so, you will be asked to leave for the day. If you are carrying an illegal weapon, you will
be asked to leave.

I was pretty surprised to see this from what I assume is a generally liberal organization in the middle of Portland. Anyway, just thought I'd share, that's all. :D

They take donated electronics, refurbish them, and then donate them to schools, other organizations, and resell them in their thrift store. They also offer some free classes covering some basic computer stuff.

That is some serious gooey dribbly way to say you're not welcome here!o_O It's highly likely someone will feel uncomfortable, and there it goes: let us take your weapon or leave. They've just outlined how a person can have someone else removed with a gun, with outright not saying 'no guns allowed'.
That'll get popular I bet.

A good place to get a replacement framastat for your old conkulator. I wish there was a geek place for gun parts.

I was pretty surprised to see this from what I assume is a generally liberal organization in the middle of Portland. Anyway, just thought I'd share, that's all.

I agree, it is surprising to find a policy like that at geek. I wouldn't advise driving there with a Trump bumper sticker on your car.

I've been there many times, both donating servers and other hardware, as well as receiving laptops for the charity I spend a lot of time volunteering for.
@OutlawHoss, disagree that it's saying "you're not welcome here." The issue is only if you are openly carrying.
My experience there is that they are a no-nonsense organization, built on the goodwill of a diverse bunch of volunteers. It's not evident between the lines, but if you have ever watched The IT Crowd, there are people who work around technology regularly who one might recognize as high strung, belligerent, deeply odd, or borderline nuts. IMO, that policy takes into consideration the diverse bunch - if they didn't have it, stuff could go sideways very fast.
Personally, I would not open carry there. Why be a magnet for those with too much floobydust between their ears.
Good on ya, @Ralgha !

I've been there many times, both donating servers and other hardware, as well as receiving laptops for the charity I spend a lot of time volunteering for.
@OutlawHoss, disagree that it's saying "you're not welcome here." The issue is only if you are openly carrying.
My experience there is that they are a no-nonsense organization, built on the goodwill of a diverse bunch of volunteers. It's not evident between the lines, but if you have ever watched The IT Crowd, there are people who work around technology regularly who one might recognize as high strung, belligerent, deeply odd, or borderline nuts. IMO, that policy takes into consideration the diverse bunch - if they didn't have it, stuff could go sideways very fast.
Personally, I would not open carry there. Why be a magnet for those with too much floobydust between their ears.
Good on ya, @Ralgha !

Yeah, you lost me at IT crowd, but maybe I'm reading in a completely different context because I'm not familiar with it. I guess I'd have to see it to understand.

Yeah, you lost me at IT crowd, but maybe I'm reading in a completely different context because I'm not familiar with it. I guess I'd have to see it to understand.
It'd be so much easier for them to say, "no way." But they don't. Note that in Portland and Multnomah county (where Free Geek is located), Open Loaded carry is prohibited. I had to look that up on the OFF site for Local Gun Codes.
It reminds me, I need to get my arse in gear to get my CHL.

If you liked Benny Hill, or like British humour, you'd like The IT Crowd.

Technology attracts a broad range of people, that's for sure, many of whom come across as weird, or even crazy, and many who are socially awkward, but generally all are intelligent and caring people.

I interpret their policy as, "don't make anybody uncomfortable, if nobody minds your open carry, fine, and you're welcome to keep it under your shirt all day long."

It'd be so much easier for them to say, "no way." But they don't. Note that in Portland and Multnomah county (where Free Geek is located), Open Loaded carry is prohibited. I had to look that up on the OFF site for Local Gun Codes.

Got it. That's pretty interesting as I kind of see things like this as maybe a sign of people being comfortable with pro gun, slightly? Or am I too optimistic?
I like British Humour, more Faulty Towers, Are you being served, Monty Python, so I'll check it out.

AH you can not leave your firearm at the desk so to speak. That would be an illegal transfer under Oregon Law. Who ever takes control of the firearm at the "Desk" would have to go through a transfer same as if they were buying it. Unless they have something like a lockable locker that the firearms owner has the only key once the firearm is placed in it.

Its all in the details.

Why not just "cover up" or carry concealed if you are going there?
Thus avoiding any hassles or problems.
That is if you have a permit / license to do so ...
I highly recommend that everyone get a concealed carry permit , even if you never plan on carrying.
You never know when your plan might change.
Plus its harder to take away something if a lot of folks have it or use it.
Andy

Last Edited:
AH you can not leave your firearm at the desk so to speak. That would be an illegal transfer under Oregon Law. Who ever takes control of the firearm at the "Desk" would have to go through a transfer same as if they were buying it. Unless they have something like a lockable locker that the firearms owner has the only key once the firearm is placed in it.

Its all in the details.

Just goes to show it's a law that doesn't make sense to a working mind. But maybe the state won't prosecute since it in one of those safe spaces.

Why not just "cover up" or carry concealed if you are going there?

The obvious solution, but maybe missing the point a bit. Clearly they are making a statement. They don't mind guns, but those who carry are reminded to be considerate of others. Coming as it does from a Portland business, that is significant. It might even be considered reasonable. Perhaps they are wishing to be an example for others (e.g., trying to reduce the hysteria of some over firearms).

Not as I understood the law. Open carry loaded IS legal with a CCP. Open carry loaded is illegal WITHOUT a concealed carry permit. I guess you can carry to your hearts desire without the permit, as long as its NOT loaded?

Makes sense....o_O

Now, either they changed the law, or OFF is off.

Its legal to open carry in Portland with a CHL.

I agree the Free Geek policy is a good compromise. It puts in place an option with respect to all. I dont think its perfect but its surpisingly a step in the right direction for such a buisness in such an anti-gun location. They need to have a better plan for checking the gun in when thats needed....

By the way, it shows that you never know just who that runs a company is pro-gun, even in Portlandia.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top