JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a S&W M&P Sport 2 and I am trying to float the barrel/hand guard. I need to get the A2 birdcage and A2 front post sight as well as the Delta ring off... I am by no means a gunsmith nor do I have the tools to start. Does anyone know of someone or someplace who can help with this small job?

If I cant find anything or if it's too expensive I may just replace the upper itself.

I need to throw on a super slim hand guard (rail) and low-profile gas block.
I would be willing to pay in money, beer, or even trident layers if requested !!

Any help would be appreciated. I am new and this is my first post.

Really feeling the love here!!

Im not sure if I need to start a new thread but when doing this change out, I am wondering if going with a mid-length gas system is do-able. Right now I have the Carbine length block and tube. Can I change it out without changing out anything else (buffer tube/BCG?)

From my understanding, the mid-length would help with follow up's and recoil..

has anyone gone from carbine to mid length and noticed any pro's or con's?

Just picking brains here... Thanks a ton for all the replies!!

Really feeling the love here!!

Im not sure if I need to start a new thread but when doing this change out, I am wondering if going with a mid-length gas system is do-able. Right now I have the Carbine length block and tube. Can I change it out without changing out anything else (buffer tube/BCG?)

From my understanding, the mid-length would help with follow up's and recoil..

has anyone gone from carbine to mid length and noticed any pro's or con's?

Just picking brains here... Thanks a ton for all the replies!!
I personally like the mid length vs carbine length. You would have to swap out the gas tube for a mid length and would need probably need a new barrel. You need one that has the gas port drilled for a mid length gas system. If you are going to do it, do it at the same time you have the free float done that way you are not paying twice for someone to take your gun apart.

I have all the tools to help you out if needed. Hit me up.

As for going from carbine length to mid. It can't be done without a barrel change, unless you feel like paying a smith to weld your port and cut another.

I personally like the mid length vs carbine length. You would have to swap out the gas tube for a mid length and would need probably need a new barrel. You need one that has the gas port drilled for a mid length gas system. If you are going to do it, do it at the same time you have the free float done that way you are not paying twice for someone to take your gun apart.

I was thinking I needed a new barrel. I may just order one with the new rail. Thanks for the response!

I was thinking I needed a new barrel. I may just order one with the new rail. Thanks for the response!
In my opinion I would rather be over gassed than run the chance of being underpasses. What I mean by that is stick with the carbine length system.

Also do a search on cutting your A2 down to make a low profile gas block. Makes for one less purchase as well as getting to keep the rigidity of a pinned gas system vs set screw system.

The mid-length system definitely smooths out the sharpness of the recoil pulse. But that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for. You might think about replacing the birdcage with a good compensator, something that has ports on the top to reduce muzzle rise for follow up shots and side ports to reduce recoil. They work great even tho the .223 doesn't have much recoil comparatively.

The mid-length system definitely smooths out the sharpness of the recoil pulse. But that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for. You might think about replacing the birdcage with a good compensator, something that has ports on the top to reduce muzzle rise for follow up shots and side ports to reduce recoil. They work great even tho the .223 doesn't have much recoil comparatively.

Thanks! I think I may just stick with the Carbine length as you mentioned. I haven't fired this rifle yet, I just figured while I am removing the gas system, I'd do additional work before putting it back together.

Appreciate all the insight and replies. This forum is awesome!

There you go. No point in fixing what isn't broken.

If you're investing in a better-running AR system, you might want to take a look at the JP Precision captured recoil spring. It's really well made and gets rid of the "Sproing-g-g-g-g-oing--fleh" of the stock recoil buffer spring.

And welcome to the ring-dang-do. It's a good forum with lots of experienced people.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top