JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I came across this when doing a deep research and reading into the Rajneesh movement in Oregon. Said chapter was, frankly, one of the weirdest in the state's long history. Anypoop, my wife seems to like the crime type shows and I called this one "creepy kill-kill-voice", and it stuck. Nonetheless, the episode is fascinating from a scientific basis, and, well, history of our beloved Beaver State. Enjoy!

If you haven't yet watched the Netflix documentary "Wild Wild Country" you need to do so. It gives an in-depth look at their time in Oregon, complete with interviews with people who were active in their organization.

They called me wanting me to do a pre-purchase inspection of a DC-3. Very few aircraft mechanics were experienced enough with DC-3's to do that. They said they would fly me to Texas in their Mitsubishi MU-2 turboprop to do the inspection. I said I would do it for $500.00 a day plus food, hotel, and incidental expenses. They replied "a ride in an MU-2 isn't enough?" The answer was NO. Cheap bastages!

It is interesting that many of them still consider it the high point in their lives. o_O

Last Edited:
If you haven't yet watched the Netflix documentary "Wild Wild Country" you need to do so. It gives an in-depth look at their time in Oregon, complete with interviews with people who were active in their organization.

They called me wanting me to do a pre-purchase inspection of a DC-3. Very few aircraft mechanics were experienced enough with DV-3's to do that. They said they would fly me to Texas in their Mitsubishi MU-2 turboprop to do the inspection. I said I would do it for $500.00 a day plus food, hotel, and incidental expenses. They replied "a ride in an MU-2 isn't enough?" The answer was NO. Cheap bastages!

It is interesting that many of them still consider it the high point in their lives. o_O
Be thankful they didn't try to get you over there to babysit those 4 engine crates.

Last Edited:
I have an acquaintance who did some construction work for them. Things had been going fine and then they decided they weren't going to pay him. To quote him, "I've got enough dynamite in my trailer to level every building on this ranch, and I'd be the most popular guy in Oregon!!" The money was forthcoming shortly.

I have an acquaintance who did some construction work for them. Things had been going fine and then they decided they weren't going to pay him. To quote him, "I've got enough dynamite in my trailer to level every building on this ranch, and I'd be the most popular guy in Oregon!!" The money was forthcoming shortly.
No kidding?!

I was new to Oregon when they were getting going. The first wife worked for Greyhound down on Taylor in pdx. That hotel of theirs was just a few blocks away. Must not have seemed too weird to me. I'd just moved from a smallish rural community in Utah, chock full of Mormons .

Last Edited:
Two federal investigators of that bunch went to my church. They've said the whole story will never be known, but enough was uncovered and corraborated to win convictions. Both retired now.

An example of.....
"Religious Idealism"

What_could_go_wrong.jpg

YUP.....and I can also remember how all of the new comers (voters) to the area had shifted the politics of the area.

Did you get that? About the relocation of homeless people (importation of voters) and the voter fraud efforts by the followers?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well, he probably was lucky in his situation but others were not.

I lived in Redmond at the time and heard about what was taking place nearly daily. I knew some people that got really screwed by them - including the local Pape Cat dealer in Redmond.

I left in 1983 when I joined the Air Force but was kept up to date on all of it by friends and my Mom and Dad - who also lived in Redmond. The major issues took place while I was gone but when I returned in 1987 it was in full force legally yet it was almost like I hadn't left. They were still pretty 'active' and recruiting people.

Shortly thereafter I went to work for the OR Nat Guard in a full time AGR position and made friends with a 'ranking' Officer in the state and he told me one night (during a discussion about it) there had been a 'contingency plan' to deal with it 'militarily' - and told me a bit about it - but it never became necessary.

Last Edited:
came across this when doing a deep research and reading into the Rajneesh movement in Oregon. Said chapter was, frankly, one of the weirdest in the state's long history. Anypoop, my wife seems to like the crime type shows and I called this one "creepy kill-kill-voice", and it stuck. Nonetheless, the episode is fascinating from a scientific basis, and, well, history of our beloved Beaver State. Enjoy!

That was some crazy stuff. I was very young but I remember his line of rolls royces (I think he had 90 or so if I recall). Political takeover attempt and mass poisoning attempt in the Dallas I remember.
0477AF31-B7AE-4511-AC28-63AE8D994698.jpeg
05E63790-C2A4-4814-8241-7D08455A7431.jpeg
20E36539-FF21-4C6C-83D7-5A0C641CBA2B.jpeg
9458543D-02BD-4E7A-9E3C-19BF76666497.jpeg
90A89264-56CC-4184-8D24-620FF4A3B4C8.jpeg

Last Edited:
It's unbelievable how gullible some
Ppl can be. Bagwan shri rashneesh basically said, Give me all your $ and possessions. Move into this tent and do hard physical work all day long. U can't live with your family anymore u have to live separately. Worship me. How could they be so fing dumb? That woman can't remember her name was total psycho and basically ran everything.

Move into this tent and do hard physical work all day long. U can't live with your family anymore u have to live separately. Worship me. How could they be so fing dumb?
For some the lure of open sex , drugs etc made it easy.

The nude pillow fights held outside I guess were quite a sight from those who saw them!

Last Edited:
It's unbelievable how gullible some
Ppl can be. Bagwan shri rashneesh basically said, Give me all your $ and possessions. Move into this tent and do hard physical work all day long. U can't live with your family anymore u have to live separately. Worship me. How could they be so fing dumb? That woman can't remember her name was total psycho and basically ran everything.
BUT, But, but.....you forgot about the promise of FREE LOVIN'.

Question is : Do I (or YOU) really want some strange from a Hippie Chick?

Aloha, Mark

Rajneeshpuram wasn't made up necessarily from all homeless and 'hippy chicks'.

There were a lot of middle/class & professional people who threw it all in to join them as well.

Yeah....some perhaps might be worthy. But, if you believe in Rajneeshpuram? Cough, cough.....

Sorry, I forgot about......
The Standard Disclaimer Applies.
I know (and everyone else probably knows) and don't need to be schooled about how "generalities assigned to groups" may not ALWAYS reflect the TRUE NATURE of an INDIVIDUAL even though they belong to that group. Duh....

OK, Ok, ok.....maybe for SCIENCE?

Aloha, Mark

But, if you believe in Rajneeshpuram? Cough, cough.....
My belief at the time, throughout my life and still now is anybody who gives up all they have worked for to join some questionable group which has less than an average chance of public 'survival' is stark raving nuts and probably deserves what ever the outcome is.

Yeah....nuts.

hot-vs-crazy.jpg

I'm guilty. Though I might just claim that.......IT WAS FOR SCIENCE.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I haven't forgotten about the Red Head claims (from another thread).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top