JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know most of us are smart enough, But just in case.

Warning! Viral prank crashing smartphones and tablets - Stop it with this trick

By Mark Jones, Komando.com
sad-woman-with-iPhone.jpg
photo courtesy of shutterstock

Apple has a reputation for having strong privacy and security standards. The tech giant even fought for user's privacy earlier this year when the FBI wanted help breaking into an alleged San Bernardino shooter's iPhone.

However, it looks like someone has now found a way to wreak havoc with Apple gadgets.

There is a malicious video being passed around the internet that will cause any iOS gadget to crash. It doesn't matter if it's an iPhone, iPad or iPod, they are all susceptible to this bug.

How the bug works
What's happening is victims are being sent a link to a video that is only about three seconds in length. It's an .mp4 video that shows someone standing next to a bed and has the word 'Honey' written on the screen.

The video is actually a corrupt file that begins a memory leak when opened in Safari. A memory leak is a failure in a program to release discarded memory, causing flawed performance or the gadget to fail altogether.

If you play this corrupt video, your iOS gadget will slow to a crawl and eventually freeze so that it no longer functions. It works fast too, as it only takes about 30 seconds to lock up your device.

At this time Apple does not know what causes the glitch. The video is thought to be hosted on a Russian social networking site.

How to fix the problem
The good news is that if your gadget freezes from watching this video, there appear to be no long-term effects. The fix is also very quick and simple.

All you need to do to unlock your gadget is a force reboot. This should eliminate the problem and return your gadget to full functionality.

Here is how to force a reboot:

• Older iPhones - On iPhone models before the 7 and 7 Plus, to perform a forced reboot just press and hold the home and lock/power buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7 and 7 Plus - Apple changed the way to do a forced reboot on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. On these models, you press and hold the volume and lock/power buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPads and iPod Touch - Press and hold the home and lock/power buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
Another thing you should do is warn your friends about this video. Let everyone know not to watch it on an iOS gadget. There haven't been any reports yet of Android users being affected by this issue.

Apple is working on finding a solution to this bug. A patch will be rolled out if a solution is found. In the meantime, be cautious of any unknown Safari pages and links.

"be cautious of any unknown Safari pages and links."

Always be cautious, but first, let's talk about the terminology here.

"Safari pages"? WTF is that? A web page/site is not a "Safari page" - it is web page.

Links don't cause problems - it is clicking on the link and going to a particular URL (address) that can cause a problem.

I really have to either doubt the technical acumen of the author.

That said, I checked and it is out there, so it isn't a hoax. Apple will fix it - like any other OS vender, they fix these problems as they are found, either in their own testing or in the wild.

A person should be cautious about where they surf - especially russian sites - but at worst this is just an exploit of the Safari browser, of which there are many (any browser has exploits).

Bad terminology... Safari is the iOS web browser... I'd be akin to winders 7 or 10 or 2002 :eek:

I am typing this on a MacBook Air. I use the Chrome browser on all of my devices where possible. I am a software developer (cross platform) and I have about 30+ years of development experience on many different hardware and software platforms. At work I currently the lead developer in a team that develops and maintains a desktop business app for Win 7 & 10.

I do not currently have or use iOS devices - as a developer I want a more open system and I do not like Apple's "walled garden" although it does tend to make their products more secure and robust. I prefer Android even if it is not as secure as iOS.

The last time I was infected by malware was about ten years ago. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have had malware infect a device I was in control of, and still have a few fingers left over.

I am typing this on a MacBook Air. I use the Chrome browser on all of my devices where possible. I am a software developer (cross platform) and I have about 30+ years of development experience on many different hardware and software platforms. At work I currently the lead developer in a team that develops and maintains a desktop business app for Win 7 & 10.

I do not currently have or use iOS devices - as a developer I want a more open system and I do not like Apple's "walled garden" although it does tend to make their products more secure and robust. I prefer Android even if it is not as secure as iOS.

The last time I was infected by malware was about ten years ago. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have had malware infect a device I was in control of, and still have a few fingers left over.
Hey, your a fellow bit twiddler... I've been twiddling bit for over 30 years as well... Started off in systems integration and data communications... And have ended up a B2B/B2C platform engineer...

I like iOS for its security aspects, but it does kinda hem one in... Funny, my company will not allow Android devices on the network, only iOS. Precisely because of the better security...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top