JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a notification that one of those Mountain House #10 cans that my now ex loved to buy and stock went on sale. I looked at the lame duck 1/2 cup serving and 10 servings per can for $40 and was like, ugh...no...

So I picked up 50 lbs of rice, 50 lbs of beans, 25 lbs pancake mix, 5 lbs of salt (I already have some food and salt) for $40 today. I am thinking of going back tomorrow to get more of the same. I'm currently storing the 50 lb bag of rice in my freezer to kill the bugs/eggs. I made that mistake once before where I went to use it and there were live bugs all up in there!

I already had about 40 lbs of rice and beans, pasta, salt, canned meat, veggies, etc. But I decided to get more because I would like to have 1 years worth of food on hand, which should be easy to do IMO based on serving sizes with:

100 lbs of rice
100 lbs of black beans
75 lbs of pancake mix
10 lbs of salt

What else should I get? Oatmeal? More pasta? Flour? Potato flakes? I'm going for bang for the buck simple meals that are tasty and high in calories, carbs and protein (and yes I love rice and black beans). I have a garden space (I have a large yard) and I used to raise rabbits and chickens for meat and eggs previously and am CONSIDERING doing it again (though it's a daily chore morning and night...). I will get variety from what I already have on hand (but am open to suggestions), what I grow and raise as well as what I barter for.

And yes I have heirloom seeds and such.

Last Edited:
Pure sugar.
As with salt, its a natural preservative.
So long as there isn't exposure to moisture (and in an event like that mainly the top layer is molded, bit it has to be significant moisture)

Id also consider honey as it too can't really spoil and even if solidified can be heated and used.

Honeyville.com has a lot of good stuff.

Freckleface.com has Gammaseal lids for 5-gallon buckets.

Here's a link to a nice grain grinder. The world's finest hand grain mill | Country Living Grain Mills

Storing corn and wheat is a good idea. You can plant it if you need to.

Honey is supposed to last a long, long time.

If you haven't found it yet, have a look at the thread "What did you do today to prep?"

Last Edited:
I'd get more salt. It has a ton of uses and 10# will go very fast in a world with no fridge.

Also, ground corn. Aka corn meal. Or just dried corn. May need a grinder though.

One thing I stock up is Krusteeze pancake mix it's in a mylar bag and really keeps well and lots of cheep stuff like purex, salt,grain for the mill . Written guide for how much purex in water to purify it.

Last Edited:
Also, ground corn. Aka corn meal. Or just dried corn. May need a grinder though.
A mechanical grinder, just to be clear!

On that note, I'd say coffee is a good thing to have as well.besides being a warm drink to wake you, it can also help with digestion and act as a mild cold medicine. Don't forget some java!

Lentils.

Don't leave your food only in the containers you buy it in; e.g., rice - mice/rats/etc. will get into it.

Put it into a hard plastic container and put that into a storage tote. Mylar won't protect it from mice.

DAMHIK :oops:

Lentils.

Don't leave your food only in the containers you buy it in; e.g., rice - mice/rats/etc. will get into it.

Put it into a hard plastic container and put that into a storage tote. Mylar won't protect it from mice.

DAMHIK :oops:
Get a new galvanized garbage can with a good fitting lid. I've yet to see a varmint gnaw through one of those but they will get through plastic very easily.

Whoh, ya gotta have some Mountain House. Toss it in the corner and forget about it: it's good for 30 years.

And since it hasn't been noted yet: buy a case of whisky or so, along with some Everclear (Washington has it). Good trading material if nothing else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top