JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if you are planning to go?

Folklife festival in Seattle is May 22-25, 2009:

Here's an tibit of the article:

<broken link removed>

The new rule wouldn't have any criminal penalties. People caught with a weapon would be asked to surrender the weapon or leave city property. If they refuse, they could be cited for trespassing, Fryer said.

Alan Gottlieb, the founder of the Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation, said the new rule won't make parks any safer.

"Criminals who don't abide by the law to begin with aren't going to follow this law either," he said.

His organization plans to sue the city whenever the mayor issues his order. The group contends only the state has the authority to limit gun possession.

"This is really stupid, and it shows the fact that the mayor doesn't care about wasting taxpayer dollars to push his own agenda," Gottlieb said.

No, but I saw some hippies hitchhiking into town for it on I-90 this weekend. We went to the tri-cities for some horse thing and spotted them straggling into town when we hit various rest areas and exits on the way back.

I used to live downtown, and "Folk Life" week was the one time I always tried to go visit family or get away on the bike for a road trip... Too many drugs, too many drunks, too many smelly people, and too much indifference in the community to this kind of display.

Such an open display of pro-drug activism and the city looks down on me for having the means to defend myself from criminals?

My girlfriend and I actually love to go just to make fun of the hippies. Seriously, it's quite amusing. I'll be packing for sure when I go this year.

Haven't been to Folklife for a few years now... but in the past (and I believe it still holds true) the music has been amazing. MANY excellent performers in nearly every accoustic music tradition out there. Some of the best bluegress, traditional, Irish, Scots, old timey, Hawaiian slack key guitar..... but I've left off going mainly because of the low level of quality people in attendance. SO many inconsiderate and obnoxious people.. and many who flat out make me more than nervous. Common decency has not been, uhm, common, for too many years. I used to go fairly often way back when..... before the strange sorts had "discovered" the whole thing. Several times, though, I felt rather threatened by the numbers and sorts of people there.... no longer a "clean" crowd, and no, I don't mean "clean" as in recently washed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top