JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have searched TSA, United, Interwebs and this Forum and cannot get a clear answer to a question.

If I place my unloaded handguns in a Gunvault Hard side locking case and secure it to the inside of my luggage, can my luggage be softside that is locked as well? According to the United website it says hardside luggage.

Second question, can I place my ammo in the original boxes inside the locked softside luggage or does it need to be in the hard side case as well?

Thank you in advance for your help. I fly out in 4 days and want to make sure there are no issues at PDX. I am taking a taxi to the airport and will have no one with me to take the firearms back home if United hassles me.

MilitantBEEMER

I think is is going to depend on your airline and their rules. I have flown Alaska with my handgun and ammunition in a Gunvault secured inside of a softsided duffle without any issues. TSA just cares that it is unloaded and locked inside of your luggage and that it is declared with the appropriate tag attached.

Would also suggest picking up some plastic shell holders for your ammunition. By the time the airline baggage handlers get through with your luggage you may have loose shells all over the inside of your bag if in the original cardboard boxes.

Best advice, call your airline and ask them.

I've flown Southwest several times with various firearms. Locked hadshell case, either inside your checked in bag or cheked separately.

The ammo must be in a hard shell locked case, either separate or with the checked firearm.

I'd keep the ammo in the manufacturer' original box, as I have heard of dick head TSA morons not allowing ammo to be checked if not in original box.

Now, it's been about 3 years since I've flown, so things might have changed.

The point is, try to think like a dick head TSA moron and you'll be OK.

Oh, one other thing. Make sure that the locked hardshell firearm case is securely locked and can't be pried apart by a dick head TSA moron. If the said dick head TSA moron can pry it open and stick his fingers in the locked case....IT AIN'T LOCKED! (But that's another story courtesy of a dick head TSA moron in El Paso....)

Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration
Firearms - firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in.
Ammunition must be securely packaged in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
NOTE: Check with your airline or travel agent to see if unloaded firearms, ammunition are permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying.

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/Content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx
United accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes, 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition and articles used in the firearm sport.

• Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
    • Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Denmark, Israel, Nigeria, Qatar and Turkey.
    • For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
    • Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
    • Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
  • Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.
  • The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.
  • Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.
  • The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
  • Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
  • No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
If applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies to checked firearms.
United is not liable for damage to firearms that are not contained in hard-sided cases.
Excess Valuation may not be purchased for firearms that are not contained in hard-sided cases.
Note: Customer must sign a Firearm Declaration Tag.

United wants hard-sided luggage. Get a cheepo and slap a TSA lock on it, they can open the outer luggage and see the gunvault just like you declared.
This set has an integrated TSA combo lock

Delsey Helium Aero Titanium Spinner Luggage - BedBathandBeyond.com

I think a gunvault is good for your unloaded pistols. Locked, you keep the key on you.
Label it with your cell-phone number so they can call you if there's any heartburn.

They want the ammo to be separated so it doesn't rub against each other.
If you can fit boxed ammo in gunvault and lock it, good. If not, inside the cheepo.

Fair travels
Rick

Last Edited:
Thank you. I called United and asked the non native English somewhat speaking operator and she said it had to be in a hard side case inside hard side luggage and both locked. Looks like I will have to invest in new luggage... Son of a!!!

I've flown Southwest several times with various firearms. Locked hadshell case, either inside your checked in bag or cheked separately.

The ammo must be in a hard shell locked case, either separate or with the checked firearm.

I'd keep the ammo in the manufacturer' original box, as I have heard of dick head TSA morons not allowing ammo to be checked if not in original box.

Now, it's been about 3 years since I've flown, so things might have changed.

The point is, try to think like a dick head TSA moron and you'll be OK.

Oh, one other thing. Make sure that the locked hardshell firearm case is securely locked and can't be pried apart by a dick head TSA moron. If the said dick head TSA moron can pry it open and stick his fingers in the locked case....IT AIN'T LOCKED! (But that's another story courtesy of a dick head TSA moron in El Paso....)

Sorry you had such a bad experience. The last time I flew the TSA guy at the xray machine was way more cool than the agent at the airlines counter about the handgun in my bag; that was at PDX.

I have flown many airlines with no problem . I have packed two loaded mags in the hard case with my firearm slide back and mags in a double mag pouch never had a single problem.
Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.

I just flew United two weeks ago and carried my pistol in a Gunvault with a soft side case with no problems.

I was originally thinking this would be the case but there web page and employee say differently. Last thing I want is to stuck at airport with no options other than miss my flight. I am taking shuttle and will not have a car or anyone with me to return my firearm to my house

better safe than sorry...

that said, last time I flew, I had loaded magazines inside a velcro closed magazine pouch and that was good enough since the bullets were completely covered and could not come loose... this was southwest

I've flown on United many times over the past few years with firearms. The last time was in June of this year. I've always had my pistol in a locked hard case inside my soft sided suitcase. I don't take ammo with me - I just buy it at my destination. But ammo is supposed to be inside the hard case.

And print out the TSA rules as well as the airlines rules along with a copy of the second amendment and the state(s) laws regarding the matter.

Over prepare if you're going to have your rights violated anyhow. And photo or video record it all in the event you need to take evidence to court.

I've flown on United many times over the past few years with firearms. The last time was in June of this year. I've always had my pistol in a locked hard case inside my soft sided suitcase. I don't take ammo with me - I just buy it at my destination. But ammo is supposed to be inside the hard case.
How's that working for you now?

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Some people may disagree but DO NOT use a TSA approved lock. It is actually against the law. When you arrive at the ticket counter, they will ask you to open the hard case that you are checking as a separate piece of luggage or inside a checked baggage. Declare it immediately, have it empty, and to make it easier, have the mag empty, and not inserted in the gun. If possible, keep the action open. They will look at it and IF they need to inspect it further, Since they cannot pick up and inspect the gun themselves, they will have you move to their separate security check in area. A trained person will then inspect the gun to make sure it is unloaded and ready for flight. They will then tell you to lock the gun in a hard case. You are then done. They will sometimes allow you to use TSA locks but read the rules, they want you to not use a TSA lock. This way once checked in, no one else has easy access to open your luggage using a TSA universal key. I just flew two guns a week ago and stopped at a locksmith and bought three brass master lock locks that all had the same matching key. I used a hard plastic rifle case, and had 2 rifles in it. After the first counter ticket agent looked, they sent me to another security desk nearby and the TSA Expert looked at both guns, ran it through a X-ray machine and only had to inspect one of the guns by hand because it was a older rifle and they said the metal in older rifles are denser and don't show up well on their x-rays. Once done, I said , I am going to lock this case up with NON TSA locks, and I have the only key. You can page me if anyone needs to open it again. The Man said, You did everything correct and no one is going to open or need to open it again. Cool guns and have a good day. Hope this helps, and the airports were PDX and Minneapolis, if it really matters.

Lots of good advice in this thread... bottom line:

-Use a hard case for your gun(s), and for your ammo.
-BUY LOCKS AND DON'T LOSE THE KEY
-Declare your firearm at the airport while checking in. Be cool.
-Be prepared to show that your firearm is safe, unloaded, and the hard case locks.

BONUS: Bring a copy of the TSA and/or airline rules about firearms with you. Just in case.

My experience from roughly last year are in this thread: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/103522-flying-friendly-skies-2.html

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top