JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know we have quite a number of people here who do things on the water; from fishermen to Coasties to Navy and Marines... I see online that Polyethylene Closed Cell Foam is used for flotation/buoyancy devices and things but I seem unable to find out what density, and types are accepted?
I can acquire 1.2 pound density, all the way to 4 pound density...

What I am after, are foam panels that are flexible and buoyant for this project in mind I have to use up AOR2 green guacamole camo Cordura in 500D type. I am thinking up a MOLLE chest/vest rig similar to this but instead of Eagle/Zavtek's method of attaching panels, MOLLE, and in AOR2 digital FB_IMG_1629053337656.jpg

20220408_093545.jpg

I have these to use as pattern pieces; an incomplete SOMAV vest that needs a lot of work to finish... but as pattern pieces, priceless because I would be able to accurately copy patterns to the fabrics I have. The basic idea is to make the vest panels and shoulder pads, with flotation foam and with MOLLE webbing on the vest panels for pouches to attach to. The AOR2 camo is shown under the 2 vest panels above this block of text.
20220217_144404.jpg

So. Did a little digging. Okay. According to what I could find for the Coast Guard requirements for approved Personal Flotation Devices and vests that are not inflatable;

Nonstandard adult size vest must have at least 500 cubic inches of buoyant foam material by displacement;
75% must be in the front or so, to prevent user from being face down in the water.
Buoyant panels must each be no less than 17.5 pounds of buoyancy (or in other words, takes more than 17.5 pounds to sink the panel).

Older specification for Kapok or Fibrous Glass filled vests says must be 2 inches thick or more.

This is for the life vest or PFDs that aren't inflatable mind you.

So... none of that describes what density, what thickness other than 2" I would need for cross linked polyethylene foam, or ethyl-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam..

But for 2 inches thickness.. that is pretty telling and its ridiculously bulky for a tactical vest.

I guess I am looking to at least have neutral-slightly positive buoyancy with 8 magazines, 2 quarts of water, possibly 2 or so "grenades" for the vest. This would supplement an approved inflatable PFD of some sort, probably the Mustang style ones.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top