JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The anodized coating protecting the alloy could have been bad?
But I think the cylinder gap is a bit too much.

That or somebody shot the living poo out of this gun. Wit some hot ammo.

Any how. Would you keep shooting it?

If you got it used can you send it back? If you can then do it! If not then have a gun smith look at it to make sure its is safe to shoot.

my .02 for what its worth

If you got it used can you send it back? If you can then do it! If not then have a gun smith look at it to make sure its is safe to shoot.

my .02 for what its worth

I have sent used guns back in the past. Not sure now?

As to getting it looked at?
I looked at it.

And even if J.C. Watterwalker himself says shoot it. I aint shooting it. :s0002::D

Last Edited:
I was originally thinking some one had taken a grinder burr to that, but I can see where it may be burning! Do you know what the frame is made of? Unless it's some exotic alloy, I would think you could have it TIG welded up and then have the cylinder gap tightened up a skosh! While your in there, have that forcing cone polished up a bit too!:D

I'd leave it alone.. it's "self -correcting" and the cut will get farther away from the flame and stabilize/stop. I'd keep an eye on the throat proper and the gap though.
It doesn't look too bad.

I might post a couple of those pics on the S&W forum later and see what some guys there think - this is pretty bad - but as previously mentioned a steady diet of hot loads will cause this - especially with alloy.

Had a 642 that was similar, actually a couple good scratches from what i believe was jacket being skinned from the projectile. Plus it had extreme "wobble" on the cylinder/ frame. Did not like the fit at all.

It worked fine but....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR