JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello fellows!

Decided to try my hand at bagging a Tom this season. Signed up for the ODFW's turkey hunting clinic, this Saturday at EE Wilson.

Had a few questions for those with more wisdom than myself.

Best Camo patterns for Spring Vs. Fall? I'm going to do some scouting up at White River this week, in anticipation of getting up there during the season.

While I know hunters don't ever want to share their favorite spots, can anyone give me some insight as to which portions of the White River area are best for turkey? How many miles should I expect to hike in to find these elusive birds? Is that area very popular, and full of hunters during the spring season?

Best roads to park along in White River? Do I need to be concerned about my vehicle getting broken into while I'm out?

Anyone going that would be willing to take a young hunter under his/her wing? Show me the ropes perhaps?

Thanks everyone!

-Elidril

Find the flocks feeding and roosting locations. Catch them moving between. Learning to call is very important. I found a darker digital pattern that worked well for me. Turkeys can see 270 degrees and have better eyesight than humans.

Once you find them and start talking to them, be still and wait for the shot.
I found the best concentration being in the southern Willamette valley. Going to try my hand in the white river area.
I did a lot of research prior to going out and found that very little of it mattered, turkey hunting is something that you have to go a few times before you really pick it up (and even then you never really do.)
I bow hunt them, its fun and very tricky sometimes.

If you are using a shotgun, remember to aim high, for the head and neck. :eek:
Use Turkey loads those buggers are armor plated.:mad:
And if you think they are hard to kill, wait until you try to eat one.:rolleyes:
Sure ain't no Safeway Butterball.:p

I've taken other classes at E.E. Wilson and the instructors are experienced and well informed. Ask tons of questions, they love it when they can help someone out.

This is my first year hunting turkey too, managed to find one private land to hunt on, and have a couple public prospects.

Good luck with your search, hope you bag one

If you are using a shotgun, remember to aim high, for the head and neck. :eek:
Use Turkey loads those buggers are armor plated.:mad:
And if you think they are hard to kill, wait until you try to eat one.:rolleyes:
Sure ain't no Safeway Butterball.:p

I would argue they're just as good if not better than their commercially-raised brethren. Time, temperature, and technique have more to do with a tough result than the ingredient.

go in early, listen more than calling, when you get in /find a good spot prop up on a tree and wait.....patience is KEY. Chirp less than you think.

Good luck and dont be discouraged if you hear but dont see.

Shoot it in the HEAD! I remember my first kill. I shot at the thing in general, swore I hit it but it just kept running away. So I chased and shot again, dropping it but not killing it. Final shot right to the dome. Startled me when it started flapping. Turns out birds just do that when you blow up the CNS. Now every turkey I kill is one shot to the head and done. With my 3.5" 12ga, I can get that done from a good distance, too. Really gratifying experience and I hope you're successful.

Added: the only reason my first turkey dropped was because I got one piece of shot right between a vertebra and made it a quadriplegic. When I processed it, there were several dozen more lodged barely under the skin. Ugly kill but I learned a lot

In some areas in Wa and Or these guys are totally tame and r running all over in large numbers. They often don't move until they r almost pushed out of the way by your vehicle. Kinda like Canada Geese in some areas.

Filled a tag this AM. Used the e-tag system first time.
Looks good on the hood of a Town Car...don't you think?. 20190528_094316.jpg

Looks good indeed. We're you able to call one in? Or did you ambush him on his route?

I'm hoping to fill a tag Thursday/Friday of this week while things are quiet at the end of the season.

Last time out I realized they were done with hens and not responding to traditional calling. So I used a gobble call and heard back from this tom who was all ready pretty close. He moved close enough then to make a longish shot. Luck involved for sure. good luck

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top