JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Absolute noob here, please be gentle.

I'm trying to make the move from "messing around at the range" to "training in a direction" and as much as I hate competitions I know that competing is the only way to really improve.

So I'm looking for practical shooting competitions in the Willamette Valley (I live in Salem).

I honestly don't really know how IPSC, IDPA, and others differ.

I figure this is a good thing - I'm open to everything. I'll try a few and see what suits me best.

Can someone point me to a place that aggregates matches in the area?

Thanks!
(anyone got some used holster/belts/pouches they want to sell?)

IMHO the best intro competition is speed steel as there is no movement and you can usually shoot anything from 22lr through any handgun caliber gun including rifles.

While you normally will draw a center fire gun from a holster most matches are informal and will allow a beginner to start with the gun unholstered much like they would do for a 22. You can then get some experience and meet others, see their equipment, etc. before jumping too far into the deep end of the pool.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your location with regard to competitions.

But no matter what, get out there and have some fun!

I shoot the monthly match at Chehalem Sportsman's in Dundee. Here is the website for the competition:

Team Croc | USPSA | Dundee Oregon

This is a USPSA match. The website for that body is here: Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

The other monthly USPSA matches in Oregon are Douglas Ridge and Albany. The best approach is to come observe a match and then sign up for a safety orientation. In Dundee, you can do that here: USPSA | Columbia Cascade Section | Safety Training

Good luck! Watch out, it's very addicting.

Info for IDPA shooting in Eugene:

<broken link removed>

Eugenepracticalshooters.com
Benefit steel challenge
DSC_1740.JPG

Matches are typically about 100rds or so in La Grande... that became important to me on a limited income.

Last Edited:
Speed steel is good to start with. For your first USPSA match, I would try Douglas Ridge. It seems to be easier stages than at Albany or Dundee. TriCounty in Sherwood offers Practical Pistol, which is very similar to USPSA (they can't officially associate with it because of the no muzzles over the berm rule) and they also offer IDPA which is less of a run and gun and tries to simulate more defensive situations. They also do speed steel.

One thing to think about when competing...
Is to compete with yourself.
What I mean to say is , make your next shot better than your last shot.
Don't focus on wining or worrying about how that other guy is doing...
Just make each shot better than your last shot.
Andy

Last Edited:
I've seen some videos on YouTube of this place. Looks legit.

I'm interesting in trying the bowling pin stuff.

Do you have to be a member or can you just pay range fees?

Like spookshack mentioned, green events on the calendar are open to the public. Else you need membership, no single entry fee just to use the range for a day.

Nice member feature though is signing in any number of guests (only 2 guests may shoot at one time, and must be with the member, guests can't use indoor .22 for practice). Super handy though if you want to save some $ over a family membership, unless family would like to shoot indoor .22 practice.

Far less restrictive range rules than other area ranges. ie holster draw, motion, rapid fire etc, while still stressing SAFETY FIRST.

Other nice thing is range hours, 7am-9pm weekdays. Till 8pm weekends, Saturday start depends upon range maintenance/events, which you can volunteer for to save money on membership, as well as volunteering to help out at the shows/machine gun shoot etc.

No lights on the main range targets, but handy to try out NV & I also set up portable lights as well on occasion. Pay lights in a couple pistol bays I think, but I set up lights in them instead, or use weapon mounted lights-super for practice.

Like spookshack mentioned, green events on the calendar are open to the public. Else you need membership, no single entry fee just to use the range for a day.

Nice member feature though is signing in any number of guests (only 2 guests may shoot at one time, and must be with the member, guests can't use indoor .22 for practice). Super handy though if you want to save some $ over a family membership, unless family would like to shoot indoor .22 practice.

Far less restrictive range rules than other area ranges. ie holster draw, motion, rapid fire etc, while still stressing SAFETY FIRST.

Other nice thing is range hours, 7am-9pm weekdays. Till 8pm weekends, Saturday start depends upon range maintenance/events, which you can volunteer for to save money on membership, as well as volunteering to help out at the shows/machine gun shoot etc.

No lights on the main range targets, but handy to try out NV & I also set up portable lights as well on occasion. Pay lights in a couple pistol bays I think, but I set up lights in them instead, or use weapon mounted lights-super for practice.

I'll have to check this place out this weekend. I'll check the calendar for green events.

Thanks!

ARPC has most types of shooting competitions available and is close to Salem or Corvallis. Most local shooting competitions have low competitiveness and are very new shooter friendly.

Some advice for new shooters,
  • Contact the match director before coming to the match. They can help you with gear and other questions for that particular type of match.
  • Attend the free ARPC Intro to USPSA Training the first Saturday of the month. It is a good introduction to USPSA and the safety rules and range commands in USPSA are similar to most other types of pistol matches.
  • Ask other shooters questions you have at the match, they are more than willing to help.
  • When shooting, reloading, holstering etc, keep your muzzle pointed as close to down range as possible (biggest mistake I see people get disqualified for)
  • Make sure you can keep your finger off the trigger when you are not shooting at something. (second biggest mistake I see people get disqualified for)
  • Observe and learn what shooters are expected to do to help keep the match running. Most matches the shooters are expected to help reset or tape targets when not shooting. Some matches the shooters are expected to help tear down stages at the end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top