JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seem to recall that the Garand bullet weighed in a just 150gr - seemed to work just fine on the opposition for one world war and Korea.

Anyhow, here in UK there is zero Lake City Arsenal surplus - in fact, I've never seen any here in my life.

And didn't I see a box of ammunition marked as 'suitable for use in M1 Garand' on the end or side?

I seem to recall that the Garand bullet weighed in a just 150gr - seemed to work just fine on the opposition for one world war and Korea.

Anyhow, here in UK there is zero Lake City Arsenal surplus - in fact, I've never seen any here in my life.

And didn't I see a box of ammunition marked as 'suitable for use in M1 Garand' on the end or side?

Yes.
1614267220275.png 1614267169029.png

Yes, the FC brass is stamped "FC 308 WIN".

I was also surprised at the differences in weights between NATO and NON-NATO brass too.

This confirms that brass marked, 7.62X51 means the heavier, (military spec?), brass that would be the lower pressure as the circle/cross marked NATO ammo is.

I'm an M1 and M1a shooter. So, I don't exactly KNOW about a BM59 (a sort of M1 only redone by the Italians to fire 7.62) but anyway.....

The M1 Garand had issues.....with pressure curves and there was that thing about using heavy bullets (over 172 gr bullets). The long op rod was said to bend. :eek: Anyway.....that is why only specific powders were to be used for reloading. AND.....that is why M2 ball ammo from reputable manufacturers is the recommended route for the M1 Garand. Just grabbing any old .30-06 ammo off of the shelf at the gun store could lead to trouble.

IF I were you......I'd just use military brass and keep the loads "moderate". Find a burning rate chart and use the powders with a burning rate between what is recommended for the M1 Garand. Sorry, I had a chart but can't seem to find it right now. Bottom line: You're probably safe using the same powders as if you were making M1 Garand ammo. Of course the actual load data will differ being that you're loading for the 7.62 Nato cartridge.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......

"Powders for the Garand are limited to IMR 3031 as the fastest, and IMR 4320 as the slowest."

Taken from: M1Garand Powder | The High Road

The BM59 was Italy's version of an M14. And for a time manufactured with, modified to accept a 20 rnd mag, M1 Garand receivers. Starting in 1959.

I have loaded 40, or so, for a custom build M1 Garand I picked up. It's built around a '43 Winchester receiver w/ '53 SA barrel. The rest of the hard parts are BMB, (Breda). I'd picked up 400 rounds PPU "For Garand", and loaded empties with acceptable powders with good results. I'm still a lousy shot, but the rifle seems to like them. My powders chosen are based on info from board members that shoot at matches at Douglas Ridge and such. MY ammo has slight less recoil than the PPU and an ejection pattern that is good. So I'm pretty confident that I'm running the rifle where it likes.

Last Edited:
I use the alcohol and lanolin mix on all BUT .308. Those I use Imperial and apply it by hand one at a time (once fired military from an MG).

Why the difference? My .308 is going through a semiauto. I won't be processing enough rifle to make my own lube. Too, the thought of putting on/taking off ovine excretions from my brass is gross to me. What I have used, so far, is just the RCBS stuff and their lube pad with no issues.

Why the difference? My .308 is going through a semiauto. I won't be processing enough rifle to make my own lube. Too, the thought of putting on/taking off ovine excretions from my brass is gross to me. What I have used, so far, is just the RCBS stuff and their lube pad with no issues.
Machine guns have "sloppy" chambers to combat heat expansion and to ensure ease of feed. Because of that it takes a lot more effort to resize, especially if using Small Base dies. I haven't had a stuck case with the Hornady One Shot, but the Imperial does take less effort with the MG brass.

Machine guns have "sloppy" chambers to combat heat expansion and to ensure ease of feed. Because of that it takes a lot more effort to resize, especially if using Small Base dies. I haven't had a stuck case with the Hornady One Shot, but the Imperial does take less effort with the MG brass.

I knew MG was brass stressing gun. Lube that makes less effort over another is a no brainer I'd say. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top